Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

I think we need a car that stops if someone has a cell phone and is siting in the driver seat.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GOAT View Post
I think we need a car that stops if someone has a cell phone and is siting in the driver seat.
Yes indeed, similar to the repeat drunk not being able to start their cars, but many here would consider that another lost freedom.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Yes indeed, similar to the repeat drunk not being able to start their cars, but many here would consider that another lost freedom.
But, see, in your scenario your blaming the driver, not the car.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
But, see, in your scenario your blaming the driver, not the car.
Yeah and your point is? I never blamed the gun either, I do have issue with how easy nuts, criminals or anyone wishing to do harm can get their hands on them.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
detbuch

Quote:
Yeah and your point is? I never blamed the gun either, I do have issue with how easy nuts, criminals or anyone wishing to do harm can get their hands on them.
You and I mostly agree. My point is that your scenario does not create a loss of freedom for those who are not repeat drunkards. There are not many who believe there is a right to drive while drunk. Nor is there, in a corollary scenario re guns, a loss of freedom for law abiding citizens to buy a gun, even an AR15 type, if guns would not fire in the hands of repeat criminals. The onus, in either scenario, is on the individual, not the instrument.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:07 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:
what is confusing about this is that, as far as I'm aware, there is no established freedom or right to drive drunk...so...why would anyone consider a drunk being unable to start/drive his car a "lost freedom"?

who is "many"...can you name a few?