Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
FlukinUki

Rattle trap style plug

I figured I try a rattle trap style plug. Built out of AYC, around 4 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2oz and will sport size 1 trebles when the epoxy dries. Its a prototype but I got carried away as usual and decided to shoot a quickie paint job and smear some epoxy on it. I didn't through wire it (used screw eyes).

I swam the plug this morning. Went down to a little 3ft deep hole at a local creek. Lob casts with my ugly stick freshie rod. I couldn't have asked for more, I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Floats with just the dorsal above the water line at rest. Slow retrieve gets the action going like a rattletrap and makes a really nice V wake. A little faster and it dives down and really starts to do the "ITS GONNA EAT ME!" thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluetrap1.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	14292  
FlukinUki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
FlukinUki

Oh yeah, question. What would be the best way to throughwire the plug with a belly swivel? I thought about drilling from the line tie to the tail but the distance down from that line is pretty large. Am I goint to be stuck with hook hangers if I decide to go the through wire route? maybe Im just not looking at the problem with and open mind. Any ideas? Thanks.
FlukinUki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
steelhead

That's awesome. Not sure how to answer your thru wiring question.There's some geometry that I can't quite figure out.
steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Thru-wire from the eye to the tail... maybe make a hook hanger for the beyy hook out of seperate wire and then seal it with epoxy??

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
gone fishin

You could wire it by drilling a 1/8 " hole through the top to the bottom and drill the rear hook to catch that wire. Being such a small lure the rear wire could be a 1/16" wire with a small loop. The top to bottom wire catches the bottom hook and the tie eye. Epoxy the holes and you are done. A bloooo could eat the plug and not tear it off!

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Screw Thru-wiring it....Hook Eyes with Epoxy. Then you can drill a hole in it and put some BB's to make it rattle.

Drill a hole, throw in a couple of BB's and then epoxy a piece of dowel in the hole....give it a nice rattle.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Nice plug, wicked color scheme. Good stuff.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote