Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-01-2023, 08:44 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Start prepping for this cold snap

You have a few days to figure out where and if you are vulnerable. Plug up any openings that wind can get in through to hit your water supply. Throw pipe insulation on anything you even think might be exposed. Friday will be the day to check thermostats and set any susceptible sinks to be just barely dripping. It will only last until Sunday so don't be cheap thinking you are going to get a huge water bill... A repair after frozen pipes are much more than any water bill.... Think. Plan. It is coming.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:57 AM   #2
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Good advice Ross. Also charge the battery on your generator as they say fierce winds. Could be power outages.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:39 AM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Yup time to drip, drip, drip.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:20 PM   #4
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

You can always put a container under the dripping faucet and use the water to cook with or water plants

If you have forced hot air furnace change the filter a clogged filter is not your friend in the cold weather it will cause it to short cycle and your house won't heat up

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:30 AM   #5
clambo

cold

We put in mini splits last year, this is our first winter using them for heat. Called Mitsubishi to check on upcoming cold snap, they said system will stop working at 5 degrees. Well at least I kept the old heating system and can use that for a couple days. I asked the rep what happens if you don't have a secondary system and he said, we get some very angry calls! Quite a few houses now only use mini splits and it seems they may be in a bad place soon, at least it will be a short duration. Of course the electric went up quite a bit as soon as we installed the system, looking into solar now to offset the cost.
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:58 AM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Wow... that is nuts.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:16 AM   #7
Rmarsh

I supplement my hot water baseboard heat with my wood burning stove....been doing that since we built the house in '77.
Problem is my thermostats don't call for heat for long periods of time....house feels warm and cozy
. But with the heating system not circulating throughout all three zones...and to two bedrooms we don't use anymore....I've had one zone freeze up when temps get into single digits. Fortunately no broken copper pipes yet....pump is running but not circulating.
Not going to use the wood stove during this cold spell.....set tstats to 68 and burn oil....to get the heat to all corners of the house.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:09 PM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Thanks for the reminder, turned off the feed to the outer faucets, checked the indows, and the f)#*ing kid, that has been at school for weeks, left his f)#*ing window open again

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:30 PM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Now this may sound really stupid of me to say, given that I started this thread.. but it seems the media around this is getting out of hand. We have all lived through worse. Whipping people into a frenzy when they just have to think and not be stupid about it.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:05 PM   #10
jredfly
Bait Boy's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Thanks for the reminder, turned off the feed to the outer faucets, checked the indows, and the f)#*ing kid, that has been at school for weeks, left his f)#*ing window open again
Too F'in funny, I got one of those too

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it - Irish Blessing
jredfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:11 PM   #11
Clammer

NO SCHOOL FOSTER/GLOCESTER

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:05 AM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredfly View Post
Too F'in funny, I got one of those too
Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
NO SCHOOL FOSTER/GLOCESTER

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:09 AM   #13
clambo

cold

A friend of mine had to drive his boat to Billings in Maine due to a problem with his manifold overheating. When we were driving up a week later for a sea trial the temperature in his truck went down to 25 degrees below zero outside, that was the actual air temp! I worked outside most of my life and never saw temps that low, the windshield washer froze and we couldn't clean the windshield. Going down the highway at 65 with no visibility is not for me. I didn't know windshield washer could freeze, I do now
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 03:42 PM   #14
fishgolf

We had -10 this morning. Gill Ma was -16. Rowe Ma was -20 at 1600 ft elevation. I went outside at 3 degrees... ooofff.
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote