Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 01-26-2023, 04:53 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

My state of mind these days...

And a new lid!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7355.jpg (713.3 KB, 55 views)

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:26 PM   #2
Guppy
User

You know it… :-(
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:09 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Yep

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:47 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

It’s probably exactly how our parents felt when they were our age.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:56 PM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
And a new lid!
I concur
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:27 PM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
It’s probably exactly how our parents felt when they were our age.
Yup. Time erases the bad memories of the past, so people only get nostalgic for the good parts of it.

Thinking of the theme song for All In The Family, and how Archie and Edith never bring up the Depression and WW 2.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:48 PM   #7
Nebe

Things ain’t like they yusta wuz… that’s for sure.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:12 AM   #8
clambo

The past

I also miss the past as well. A while ago if our party in an election lost we just moved on, well that seems to be gone! Have we forgotten we are all Americans? We seem to have lost our courtesy towards each other also. Recently I gave up my seat so a young woman could sit and some people looked at me like I was crazy! Well that's the way I was brought up and that's the way I'll be till I die!
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:46 AM   #9
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I find the youth today selfish, spoiled and entitled. I’m certain most of us on this board grew up respecting our parents and elders or else. We probably all had jobs well ahead of getting a drivers license and summer jobs between school breaks if college bound to earn our keep. If it snowed after shoveling out our driveway, we helped our neighbors and then hustled some spending money shoveling out others. I can’t even picture what our society becomes a decade or two down the road, if climate change doesn’t fu*k them, I wouldn’t be surprised if mankind doesn’t commit suicide.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:19 PM   #10
clambo

Got stripers, I couldn't agree more. When I was young if you did something bad you got your butt spanked, it didn't take long to figure out if you didn't do bad things your butt would not hurt. Then along came the crowd with time out,(you can't spank) a child. Well in my opinion that didn't work out so well, and now the fruit of that thought process is what we see around us now. If you and I ever get to fish together we would work each other into a frenzy and have heart attacks.
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 04:04 PM   #11
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

YUP! Don't even need to elaborate.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:40 PM   #12
Guppy
User

Bragging here..
I’ve got 8 grandchildren that’ll put a smile on u’s guys face’s…….
Old 01-28-2023, 06:05 PM   #13
Clammer

not going to start

But covid really did mess up alot of good& descent kids

F uck the rest . this world is really messed up

I,m thankful for being born when I did & the neighborhood where I grew up ;

The one think that I truly believe messed up alot of kids/ people back in the day was the B/S with the priests an worse yet was if ya got a double header an went to school with the nuns of no mercy ...................... fuc k in B?S teaching ...........F E A R

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:44 AM   #14
wdmso

Honestly I see it across all ages common courtesy seems dead . I’ll say excuse me if I walk in front on someone in the shopping isle . I still hold doors open for people and 90% of the time I get a blank stare.

But I think Bob hit the nail on the head every generation thinks the ones behind it are spoiled disrespectful . And yet their kids are the kids of our kids. Maybe because of that it easier to see something or someone else has caused it?

We are a nation that loves our freedoms and privacy and independence. But when things hit the fan (minus covid). We easily galvanize to face the threat
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:29 AM   #15
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
not going to start

But covid really did mess up alot of good& descent kids

F uck the rest . this world is really messed up

I,m thankful for being born when I did & the neighborhood where I grew up ;

The one think that I truly believe messed up alot of kids/ people back in the day was the B/S with the priests an worse yet was if ya got a double header an went to school with the nuns of no mercy ...................... fuc k in B?S teaching ...........F E A R
Same here Clammer......my wife and I grew up poor (today its called "economically disadvantaged" .... I in the inner city with people of all different colors and nationalities....our parents struggled just to keep us fed and a roof over our heads..... mine had eight of us and that alone is learning experience that I am so thankful for. We were expected to get jobs even before turning 16! You want a car....you work and pay for all of it......insurance, gas, repairs etc. and any other personal expenses. And as far as sending us to college....no way they could afford it. A lot of kids went to college ....wasted their time.... delayed becoming real adults
Years before computer games and cell phones came around we made are own games and toys and played outside....A LOT. I see so many young guys still playing computer games long after they should have grown up and developed real skills.

We are thankful now looking back at how we were raised to be self sufficient....taking nothing for granted. I built my own house with my own two hands at age 21.

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:02 AM   #16
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

My parents were 1st generation Italian. My day had his left arm half blown off in the Battle of the Bulge. He worked 3 jobs for as long as I can remember. My Mom took in sewing and made curtains for some "rich" people my Dad did work for.

When I was 10 I asked my Dad for a bike. He said sure Paulie, go get a a job and make some money and I'll help you out.

I mowed lawns, delivered newspapers, pumped gas (at 10 years old) at the gas station down the street and swept driveways in our neighborhood. By the end of the Summer I had saved enough to buy a bike at Benny's with ALL my own money and none from Dad. My old man couldn't have been prouder.

Now we can't get kids to work at the golf course for $18 and hour to weedwack.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:03 PM   #17
fishgolf

Mr. Piemma, do you recall what unit your dad was in at the Battle of the Bulge? I read a lot. My uncle was there with the 10th Armored Div.

During summers in Weekapaug, my dad dropped me off at the golf course a 6:00 a.m. Worked on the course until 2. Then ran the driving range until dark. Then went to the clubhouse and helped the kitchen staff clean up after dinner and events. Then one of my sisters would pick me up at 9 or 10 p.m. Rinse repeat to pay for college. I think URI cost about $2000 per semester at the time.
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:30 AM   #18
Rmarsh

I went to a catholic school for many years and then a public school...so I got a pretty good idea of the differences.......and the difference is huge... especially when it comes to reading, writing, and arithmetic.
The nuns were pretty rough on us students...constantly drilling us and not waiting for the slowest students to keep up.... they had us learning at a much more advanced pace....than the public schools.
When I saw the homework and tests that my friends from public school....in the same grade... were working on....I was shocked....it seemed that they were like two full grades behind us.
When I transferred to public high school for financial reasons ....I barely had to open a book to get passing grades for my last three years of high school.
Another thing is that catholic schools would never put up with the disrespectful crap and thuggery that goes on in public schools. So less distractions and more learning.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:19 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
I went to a catholic school for many years and then a public school...so I got a pretty good idea of the differences.......and the difference is huge... especially when it comes to reading, writing, and arithmetic.
The nuns were pretty rough on us students...constantly drilling us and not waiting for the slowest students to keep up.... they had us learning at a much more advanced pace....than the public schools.
When I saw the homework and tests that my friends from public school....in the same grade... were working on....I was shocked....it seemed that they were like two full grades behind us.
When I transferred to public high school for financial reasons ....I barely had to open a book to get passing grades for my last three years of high school.
Another thing is that catholic schools would never put up with the disrespectful crap and thuggery that goes on in public schools. So less distractions and more learning.
We made the opposite trip with our 3 boys, started in public, switched to Catholic, observe the same exact thing. I live in a decent suburb where teh schools are considered pretty good by CT standards, and my oldest got straight As in middle school, and averaged 10 minutes of homework a day. Never broke a sweat.

At catholic high school he gets 2.0 - 2.5 hours of homework a day, and required community service hours every quarter which is a great idea. His friends at the public high school never get 30 minutes of work a day, it's preparing them for absolutely nothing.

I didn't see anyone mention the internet, which is having an awful impact. And they'' be writing papers for 100 years about what covid did to this generation of kids, the difference in CT between how the public and catholic schools handled it, cannot be imagined. Catholic schools barely missed a beat. Public schools lost more than a full year. And their solution to make up for it, is to give the kids no work. And parents are ok with it, and I don't get it.

My 3 boys do a lot of homework, play sports, are into karate, and spend little time online, and they know that if they work their fingers to the bine, good things will eventually happen. That has been lost on this generation.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:30 AM   #20
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
We made the opposite trip with our 3 boys, started in public, switched to Catholic, observe the same exact thing. I live in a decent suburb where teh schools are considered pretty good by CT standards, and my oldest got straight As in middle school, and averaged 10 minutes of homework a day. Never broke a sweat.

At catholic high school he gets 2.0 - 2.5 hours of homework a day, and required community service hours every quarter which is a great idea. His friends at the public high school never get 30 minutes of work a day, it's preparing them for absolutely nothing.

I didn't see anyone mention the internet, which is having an awful impact. And they'' be writing papers for 100 years about what covid did to this generation of kids, the difference in CT between how the public and catholic schools handled it, cannot be imagined. Catholic schools barely missed a beat. Public schools lost more than a full year. And their solution to make up for it, is to give the kids no work. And parents are ok with it, and I don't get it.

My 3 boys do a lot of homework, play sports, are into karate, and spend little time online, and they know that if they work their fingers to the bine, good things will eventually happen. That has been lost on this generation.

My first day at that public high school ....inner city...adjacent to public housing.....I was robbed when I went to the mens room alone....by three thugs that werent even students at the school.

I noticed that the teachers were scared #^&#^&#^&#^& of some of the derelict students, who would have been expelled immediately at a catholic school...and would have been dragged out of the classroom... bodily and never returned.
Well in contrast to that....in catholic high school.....i had loosened my tie a little too much...and the coach of the football team stopped me in the hall and helped me fix it.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 01-31-2023 at 07:36 AM..
Old 01-31-2023, 07:55 AM   #21
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I cannot take credit for this comment, and don't remember where I heard it... but loosely paraphrased; there are a couple generations, in the prime years of their life that have no respect, no work ethic, and no idea what a leather belt sounds like being pulled out through seven belt loops for a little reinforcement of the lessons.

For what it's worth, I grew up before time outs became an excuse for discipline....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:09 AM   #22
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Well said Ross.
He's great example: I offered a 13 year old kid, football player and rather large, a job at $15/ hour helping me split wood. Mind you, I have a hydralic splitter, a front loader and 4 chainsaws. All I wanted him to do was help me load wood on the splitter and stack it in the bucket on the front loader.

Nope! Too hard.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:18 AM   #23
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Paul, it makes one wonder how/if the military has been forced to make changes to basic training and boot camp...
It is disappointing to be witness to the decline of the once great American society.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:37 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
My first day at that public high school ....inner city...adjacent to public housing.....I was robbed when I went to the mens room alone....by three thugs that werent even students at the school.

I noticed that the teachers were scared #^&#^&#^&#^& of some of the derelict students, who would have been expelled immediately at a catholic school...and would have been dragged out of the classroom... bodily and never returned.
Well in contrast to that....in catholic high school.....i had loosened my tie a little too much...and the coach of the football team stopped me in the hall and helped me fix it.
Agreed.

And in my opinion, most of this isn't the kid's fault, it's mostly the parents' fault. People are getting more selfish and lazy. It's a lot easier to always say yes to your kids, than to dig in your heels and say "no" and stick to it. It's a heck of a lot easier to plop them in front of the tv all day, than it is to read to them and make sure they did all their homework and play board games with them. Proper parenting takes almost everything you've got, and many people don't care enough to dedicate that much.

There's a bus stop for the public high school near my neighborhood, and when I drive past those kids, they are half dead to the world, eyes half closed, blank expressions, every single one of them glued to their phones.

About the only places where I see kids that make me optimistic, are catholic school, boy scout meetings, and the karate school, where the teenagers hold the door for my wife and cheer on the little kids. Those are the places where I really like what I see. But you have to look hard for it these days.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:01 PM   #25
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I and no idea what a leather belt sounds like being pulled out through seven belt loops for a little reinforcement of the lessons.

For what it's worth, I grew up before time outs became an excuse for discipline....
Ross....so true.. I do know that sound.. ...so familiar I can hear it now.....he never said a word.....and I knew it was to late for me to say anything that would stop it....and no crying aloud....but I thank God for a dad who cared enough to make sure I knew right from wrong.... and did his job.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:35 PM   #26
beamie

Yup
Got the leather belt plenty of times
Mum use to give me the rubber spatula until one day I started laughing at it.
I never gave my kid the leather belt. Probably would have ended up in jail these days.
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:05 PM   #27
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Yup
Got the leather belt plenty of times
Mum use to give me the rubber spatula until one day I started laughing at it.
I never gave my kid the leather belt. Probably would have ended up in jail these days.
Yes I had the potential to get in a lot of trouble.....especially hanging out with friends whose dad's weren't in the picture.....one wanted me to help him steal a car....I declined. Another time we were in a quarry messing around and he discovered they left the keys in some of the big trucks....I knew to get out of there quick and started running away.
He proceeded to do some big damage....ramming one big truck with another into a deep pit.
He got sent to Shirley....his mother use to pick me up to go visit him.
Years later he committed suicide by police.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:19 PM   #28
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

In my family it was bare hand or a wooden salad spoon, neither was pleasant and they both made a mark. I remember me threatening my troubled middle son with something close to what I got and I got the go head and I’ll report you response.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:21 PM   #29
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Agreed.

And in my opinion, most of this isn't the kid's fault, it's mostly the parents' fault. People are getting more selfish and lazy. It's a lot easier to always say yes to your kids, than to dig in your heels and say "no" and stick to it. It's a heck of a lot easier to plop them in front of the tv all day, than it is to read to them and make sure they did all their homework and play board games with them. Proper parenting takes almost everything you've got, and many people don't care enough to dedicate that much.

There's a bus stop for the public high school near my neighborhood, and when I drive past those kids, they are half dead to the world, eyes half closed, blank expressions, every single one of them glued to their phones.

About the only places where I see kids that make me optimistic, are catholic school, boy scout meetings, and the karate school, where the teenagers hold the door for my wife and cheer on the little kids. Those are the places where I really like what I see. But you have to look hard for it these days.
Bingo
Old 01-31-2023, 07:56 PM   #30
redlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
I'm younger than u old farts and agree and can relate with most of it. Me and my three siblings were so dumb we actually made a 2 foot spanking stick complete with hanging cord with perfectly sanded edges for her not to beat us with, but to disciple us with out hurting her hand. Then we made
Her. 3 ft version for the car so she could turn around and wack us without stopping the car. Dad's hands like tough baseball gloves so he didn't need.
We have been raising our 12 yr old
Nephew for Past 8 years
As legal guardians in addition
To our 3. Behavior was getting out of control and would always say we can't touch him or he call police. Well he refused to go to school and took off on his bike. We called police and after dark they picked him up down other end of town. police officer stood here in our driveway and explained to him that we certainly could slap/ spank/ discipline him. In fact with the way he was acting and talking to all of us we were more than legally Justified to slap him right in front of police officer and there was nothing he would or could do. Officer explained to him how it was for him and that he should be grateful for us raising him instead of what his situation would and could be.
He has sang a different tune since.
Gonna sit down down with my 9 yr old right now and order him a new high quality pocket knife with his own money that he has earned comin to work with me for the past few weekends on all kinds of different jobs. He has learned new skills and quickly understood the value of hard earned money already.
Raise em right
Hoorah
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote