Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 01-31-2023, 10:05 PM   #31
Clammer

LOL >>>>>>>>>>>>> not all the nuns & priests ......... had the 100% effect they wanted ........by seeing some of the posts which are considered $%^&**()

#* << % an still made out alive

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:25 PM   #32
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Grew up in a mediocrely rough neighborhood, divorced/single mom with 4 kids, projects, and was on track to, while not be be bad, surely not be good.

But I also did Scouts (hell, some of my troop were my 12 year old drinking buddies). Had paper routes, side jobs for cash stocking the local variety/liquor store. But I was still kind and polite, just not making great choices.

I was good to eff off, and basically move in with my father, where I needed the discipline, and lucked out as he was transferred to Germany and I went to school on the base. The DODDS school was almost like a private school, or at least equivalent to a very good school system in a very good town. But it had two things going for it, a top level education, and on balance great parents.

So it can be done, in good towns, with good schools. If your kids are young, find a way to move to those good towns.

I am proud of the kid my wife and I raised, but we also got a good dice roll, in addition to hard work at parenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
I'm younger than u old farts and agree and can relate with most of it. Me and my three siblings were so dumb we actually made a 2 foot spanking stick complete with hanging cord with perfectly sanded edges for her not to beat us with, but to disciple us with out hurting her hand. Then we made
Her. 3 ft version for the car so she could turn around and wack us without stopping the car. Dad's hands like tough baseball gloves so he didn't need.
We have been raising our 12 yr old
Nephew for Past 8 years
As legal guardians in addition
To our 3. Behavior was getting out of control and would always say we can't touch him or he call police. Well he refused to go to school and took off on his bike. We called police and after dark they picked him up down other end of town. police officer stood here in our driveway and explained to him that we certainly could slap/ spank/ discipline him. In fact with the way he was acting and talking to all of us we were more than legally Justified to slap him right in front of police officer and there was nothing he would or could do. Officer explained to him how it was for him and that he should be grateful for us raising him instead of what his situation would and could be.
He has sang a different tune since. Raise em right
Hoorah
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:10 PM   #33
redlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Grew up in a mediocrely rough neighborhood, divorced/single mom with 4 kids, projects, and was on track to, while not be be bad, surely not be good.

But I also did Scouts (hell, some of my troop were my 12 year old drinking buddies). Had paper routes, side jobs for cash stocking the local variety/liquor store. But I was still kind and polite, just not making great choices.

I was good to eff off, and basically move in with my father, where I needed the discipline, and lucked out as he was transferred to Germany and I went to school on the base. The DODDS school was almost like a private school, or at least equivalent to a very good school system in a very good town. But it had two things going for it, a top level education, and on balance great parents.

So it can be done, in good towns, with good schools. If your kids are young, find a way to move to those good towns.

I am proud of the kid my wife and I raised, but we also got a good dice roll, in addition to hard work at parenting.

Don't laugh but I look exactly like that little green emoji thing with the missing tooth. True red necker. What happens in Maine stays in Maine
Been a rough and tough 12 months around here.....still tickin tho
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:56 AM   #34
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgolf View Post
Mr. Piemma, do you recall what unit your dad was in at the Battle of the Bulge? I read a lot. My uncle was there with the 10th Armored Div.

During summers in Weekapaug, my dad dropped me off at the golf course a 6:00 a.m. Worked on the course until 2. Then ran the driving range until dark. Then went to the clubhouse and helped the kitchen staff clean up after dinner and events. Then one of my sisters would pick me up at 9 or 10 p.m. Rinse repeat to pay for college. I think URI cost about $2000 per semester at the time.
Yes, my father was a radio man with the 79th Infantry Division.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:50 AM   #35
Rmarsh

Quote:
Years from now.... when he becomes an adult, your nephew will realize what you and your wife are doing for him now and you will be rewarded.
Kids dont forget the love and attention you show them..and the payback is that they will cherish you forever.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:28 AM   #36
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
I can relate, my middle son was a nightmare, refusing to go to school, getting into booze and pot with a bad group of friends, totaling the family van one day at 15 and lucky to survive with just a dislocated hip and lesser injures. They next druken rage against his father after he kicked in a brand new vinyl fence, with him getting physical, I put him on his arse. He storms inside punching holes in multiple walls, brothers call cops as I dealt with his band of friends outside, nothing like having your son taken away in cuffs and then having to get interviewed by social services because I punched him. Thankfully an extended stay in lockup set him straight and he is now a Boston medic, but unfortunately the disrespectful behavior directed at dad continues as he has yet to shed the victim card he plays each and every time I call him out for BS and inappropriate behavior.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:14 PM   #37
fishgolf

Thank you Piemma. Will enjoy researching.
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:20 PM   #38
RickBomba

My brother and I are both products of a Catholic private school system. Look how we turned out!

Sheesh!

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:40 PM   #39
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBomba View Post
My brother and I are both products of a Catholic private school system. Look how we turned out!

Sheesh!
To every rule.....there are exeptions
Old 02-02-2023, 02:42 PM   #40
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgolf View Post
Thank you Piemma. Will enjoy researching.
Check out the Battle of St. Lo and the Battle for Cherbourg.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 03:45 PM   #41
fishgolf

Will do.
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:47 AM   #42
Nebe

https://youtu.be/s1zEYnl7V7s

Kids in the trades should watch this
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:54 PM   #43
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

I watched it.....hit home in a lot of ways. Everybody could use this advice. I read a book about confidence and it changed my life.
He is an excellent speaker too. Thanks for posting it.
...stirred up memories of buying my first chainsaw at 18

Last edited by Rmarsh; 02-05-2023 at 01:05 PM..
Old 02-05-2023, 02:18 PM   #44
zimmy

Good to see Archie Bunker is still alive and well in the halls of s-b.com

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #45
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
I watched it.....hit home in a lot of ways. Everybody could use this advice. I read a book about confidence and it changed my life.
He is an excellent speaker too. Thanks for posting it.
...stirred up memories of buying my first chainsaw at 18
glad you watched it. You were who i was thinking of when I posted it.

I have only watched 2 or 3 of his videos but he sure comes across as a well spoken, sharing and all around cool dude.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:09 PM   #46
Rmarsh

Quote:

I have only watched 2 or 3 of his videos but he sure comes across as a well spoken, sharing and all around cool dude.
Yes...intelgent , thoughtful, he's really trying to share one of life's secrets.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:34 PM   #47
Guppy
User

Quote:

I wish I was smart ….
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:09 PM   #48
redlite

I watched About 45 seconds of this video and could already understand about what he was talking about.
over the years I have regularly researched on line for jobs we would be doing for the first time to get a rough clue as to what was involved and potential pitfalls to be aware of before actually doing. Many times I became the wiser of the crew. I often came across videos by this dude and was always impressed by him and his way of communicating.
a few years ago One of the best things I learned from him that as stupid and simple as it would seem was how to properly use a chalk line/ straight line, esp in framing. To this day and even last month building a buddy's house up in Maine with a crew, some doing this for way longer than me , they were all amazed at my skill to properly do it. Even my boss still always defaults to me as he has never grasped the concept of how to properly wrap and tighten one for reuse.
Dude provides clear, understandable, and practical explanations to a lot of trade secrets that can only be learned by years and years of experience or a very patient well experienced mentor.
A while back I had discussed with my boss since I have been getting more and more side work from our current repeat customers about how to not be afraid of screwing up or disappointing customers. screw ups cost time and money and I fear the embarrassment of letting them down and embarrassing my boss as it is also a reflection on him. I was a pretty successful salesman in the past and had been taught to fake it till u make it, but its tougher to do in the trades.
Now I have zero desire to go out on my own as I hate paperwork, but he was dumbfounded the other day at lunch as we were going over up coming schedule at the amount of side work that I am trying to fit in was so many of the jobs I got going are with our long time existing customers, albeit that they are smaller more handy man type of jobs that he has no patience, time or interest in doing. but I could tell he was proud that I am so much less hesitant and more confident to take on jobs without his guidance or advice.
Now ill finish watching this video..........
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:02 PM   #49
Nebe

Lol Redlight.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:50 AM   #50
Rmarsh

Quote:

I went back and watched more of his videos......he has a gift....and I am now a fan.
Its all stuff that I already knew but enjoyed how well he explains things.....I didnt realize you could do a whole video about chalklines that didnt sound corny.
Redlite....ive always instructed my rookie helpers to wrap the line around their fingers and hold on tightly before i pull it to get a straight line......and they still end up getting it pulled away from them before i got it as tight as I want it. After snapping the line I tell them to hold on until i pull tension on the line so it will fly back to me when they let go and land at my feet and not get caught on things on the retrieve.

Never realized all the finer points i've learned but didnt think about.
My mentor still liked his half round piece of chalk he would spin while chalking his line so it wouldnt wear a groove in his chaulk. The one in this picture in bad shape is what he used...mostly on interior work....the awl is pushed through a loop in the line into the mark where the line is to be snapped.

I've seen chuckleheads using red chaulk to snap lines for white cedar shingle courses....which is an abomination. The dye in it stays visible for years.