Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-29-2021, 01:08 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Let’s not overcomplicate this:

$7.8 Trillion of debt added during the Trump administration.

Republicans passed a $2 trillion tax cut for billionaires and corporations.

And now they’re refusing to pay for it.

It’s really that simple.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-29-2021, 05:54 AM   #2
scottw

The Top Five Debt Contributors by Percentage

Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945): President Roosevelt had the largest percentage increase to the debt. Although he only added $236 billion, this was a nearly 1,050% increase from the $22.5 billion debt level left by President Herbert Hoover. The Great Depression and the New Deal contributed to FDR's yearly deficits, but the biggest cost was World War II: It added $186.3 billion to the debt between 1942 and 1945.4

Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921): President Wilson was the second-largest contributor to the debt, percentage-wise. He added $21 billion, which was a 724% increase over the $2.9 billion debt of his predecessor. World War I contributed to the deficits that raised the national debt.4

Ronald Reagan (1981-1989): President Reagan increased the debt by $1.85 trillion, or by 186%. Reagan's brand of supply-side economics didn't grow the economy enough to offset the lost revenue from its tax cuts. Reagan also increased the defense budget by 35%.5

George W. Bush (2001-2009): President Bush added $6.1 trillion, or a 101% increase, putting him in fourth. Bush launched the War on Terror in response to the 9/11 attacks, which led to multi-trillion-dollar spending on the War in Afghanistan and the Iraq War. Bush also dealt with the 2001 recession and the 2008 financial crisis.6

Barack Obama (2009-2017): Under President Obama, the national debt grew the most dollar-wise ($8.6 trillion) but was fifth in terms of percentage: 74%. Obama fought the Great Recession with an $831 billion economic stimulus package and added $858 billion through tax cuts.

10th place trump

I think Biden wants to be #1
Old 09-29-2021, 06:03 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

It’s really that simple.
No what about changes these facts

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
No what about changes these facts
pete how come i got a nice tax cut? I’m neither a billionaire nor a corporation?

When you have to resort to blatant lies to defend your beliefs, doesn’t that suggest you have flimsy beliefs?

They doubled the standard deduction. Do you know what that means? Billionaires don’t claim the standard deduction.

Again, you’d really benefit from a basic course in economics/accounting, preferably a course for which the textbook isn’t Chairman Mao’s Little Red Book.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:06 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:

according to Forbes there are 724 billionaires in the US another source says 696....

we should just take a billion form each of them and then we could run the government for how long? at 6.7 trillion/year
Old 09-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
according to Forbes there are 724 billionaires in the US another source says 696....

we should just take a billion form each of them and then we could run the government for how long? at 6.7 trillion/year
that simple math exercise is literally what made me change from being a registered democrat to a registered republican when i was in my early 20s. It essentially proves irrefutably that the entire concept of liberal economics ( all we need to do is tax the rich a bit more) is nonsense.

I’m not saying the tax code can’t be made more fair. But liberals act as if the marginal rate on zillionaires is the only thing stopping us from pure utopia, when in reality (. it where liberals like to operate) the impact is practically a rounding error.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-29-2021 at 07:26 AM..
Old 09-29-2021, 07:26 AM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

It’s really that simple.
Are the numbers wrong?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Are the numbers wrong?
you’re 100% wrong when you say the tax cut only helped billionaires and corporations. it’s a demonstrable, flat-out lie.

You are 100% correct that republicans only care about the dangers of debt when a democrat is in the white house. 100% correct. What you left out, is that both sides do it.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:44 AM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
Are the numbers wrong?
borrowing money to pay debt creates a larger debt. This nonsense has to stop.