Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
bassballer

Thinking about another dog

The Fiance is begging me to give the OK on another dog. MY american bulldog Leroy is my right hand man. I dont know if I really want another dog. She says it will be good for him. Now ill have 2 dogs on the boat, 2 dogs to train, ect. How do you guys feel about having 2 dogs? Whats your experience?
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I have two dogs and its great.

my dog rocky is a 6 year old lab/collie mix, big as a lab but smart like a collie, when he was 2 i decided to get another dog, a puppy so the bond would be stronger. he was already well trained and great with people and other dogs.

I adopted a boxer/pit mix, female puppy. shes know 4 years old and 75 pounds of pure muscle. but is the sweetest thing and is a kind of a baby.

They are the best of friends, they sleep together, he looks after her when were out, and play together all the time. the only thing is their extremely jealous of each other if your petting one the other one will come over and push em out of the way.

One of the things i was told was to make sure I got a puppy and the opposite sex, that way the puppy would learn from the older dog and the opposite sex so there would be no power control going on. plus with a puppy theres no previous bad habits.

I adopted both my dogs as puppies thru pet finder.

the drawbacks are buying food for two big dogs and having to take both of them everywhere, i feel bad leaving one home if i go for a walk/run. besides that its great.

good luck!!!

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
bassballer

ive been told the same thing as far as puppy/opposite sex. Im looking at rescuing a lab puppy. I need the other dog to be active and one that will swim and fetch with my dog now. Thinking a lab will be a good fit.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

when i was looking i checked petfinder every day and the potter league in middletown, after a few weeks maybe months of looking I found my new pup. well worth the wait and searching to get the right dog.

my boxer/pit mix loves the water doesnt do a ton of swimming but is always in it, and she absolutely loves the snow, its like crack to her. for a dog with lil fur you wouldnt think shed like the snow.

i dont think you can realy go wrong with a lab mix.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
Old 10-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
tysdad115

I have two rottweilers. We had the male, got him as puppy two years later we rescued a female. I couldn't imagine not having two dogs now. They are their own playmates and an absolute joy to watch beat the snot out of each other. Other than twice the snot to clean up, twice the food and vet bills we love the dogs. Definately worth it.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Jimbo

My wife caved to the kids' "can we get a dog, we'll take care of him," a couple years ago and got a boxer. A year later she and my younder daughter came home with a dachsund at a puppy mill (which after a few thousand dollars in vet fees we found out was almost blind and has some kind of neurological condition, so we got to keep him but got the money paid for him back, so I guess he's a rescue dog. The option was to give him back and they'd put him down). They get along great although one is full of energy and the other seems content with a brisk walk across a room. The novelty of having dogs seems to have worn off the kids some, so being the one less enthusiastic about getting a dog in the first case is primary care giver for them. The boxer has a great personality and intelligence, great with people, especially around kids and I think senses I'm recovering from colon cancer and I feel like at times he's, in his own way, caring for me more than I for him. He's definitely a good listener and hands down a staring contest champion. The little one thinks he's a big guard dog, but mostly mimics what the boxer does, eats, steals socks and hoards them in his crate and frequently just sits and stares at nothing. This Mutt and Jeff combination is definitely a big part of the family and my right hand men.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

We have a Mutt and Jeff thing going on at our house right now but I'm not sure for how much longer. We made the decision a year and a half ago to get a family dog. My wife and step daughter wanted the lap dog and my son and I wanted a guys dog. I did a bunch of research and based on our lifestyles I found a great boxer/hound mix that was fully vetted, crate and house trained, and was listed as mid size at 50lbs. He was just about a year old when we got him so i thought he was done growing but he's since filled in to a very muscular 72lbs. My step daughter denied liking him and said she was afraid of him at first but Banjo is such a softy and kind hearted that he has since made his way to her good side. But she kept insisting on getting her own dog. I told my wife that getting a small dog was going to be a lot of work especially if we get a puppy. It's like having another baby. Banjo is relatively easy to take care of and fits into our work schedules perfectly. So long story short the girls are finding out that owning a little dog is a ton of work and my wife is at her wits end right now and this morning tells me she can't do it anymore. The thing that bothers me is that she has told me we would have to get rid of both dogs if it comes down to that in the end which I am not happy at all seeing i have no problem taking care of Banjo. If she listened to me in the first place and did the research I did in finding a dog for our household lifestyle instead of just bowing down and satisfying what our daughter wanted we wouldn't be in this situation. I'm heart broken about not having Sammy but the reality is that she belongs to a home that can spend more time with her. the two of them get along great and they are good for eachother. i try and pitch more when I can but her crate is always a mess and my daughter doesn't feed her or take care of her consistantly. It's not good for Sammy. So if anyone here knows of anyone that is looking for a samll dog get in touch with me. She is a 4lb Morky, Maltese Yorky mix. Basically a yuppie dog. She's very loving but needs training. She's about 6 months old and is not fixed. She definetly is not house broken even though with me she knows not to go in the house but when I get home i always find a treat or two in the corners. I'll attach a phot of the two of them and if anyone wants to inquire about owning her let me know. My wife and I are having dinner alone tonight so I'll ask her if she's serious. If it comes down too me having to get rid of Banjo then she stays and I'll pick up the slack but hopefully my wife will realize she made a mistake and allow my son and I to continue raising Banjo. The ironic thing is Sydney now does love Banjo and I think deep down knows she can't handle Sam. If I can get her to admit that to my wife then she'll probably be ok with Banjo. It's a sad scenario but I'm not willing to give up Banjo because he's such a good boy. Sammy just needs a home that can handle her needs better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jones 002.png
Views:	80
Size:	600.5 KB
ID:	48968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jones 013.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	48969  

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

PM sent

STORMR Pro Staff Member
Old 10-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Sea Dangles

Hold out for a new wife.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Hold out for a new wife.
Isn't a dog cheaper?? Plus a dogs love is unconditional..
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
WESTPORTMAFIA

The eeeefff with any dogs. You can have both of mine.
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
The eeeefff with any dogs. You can have both of mine.
You only have 2 dogs? From the amount of dog crap on your driveway, I thought you had at least a dozen.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Isn't a dog cheaper?? Plus a dogs love is unconditional..
Yup, Banjo loves me no matter what! I'd marry him in a second!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
You only have 2 dogs? From the amount of dog crap on your driveway, I thought you had at least a dozen.
That's from the 100 pounder that refuses to s hit in wet grass.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
Saltheart

In my life we had 6 dogs come and go. Best were a small "heinz" terrier that lived to 22 or 23 years old and the two pure black labs. All 3 of these dogs were on the smart side (unlike my current stupid cat! ) but I have never seen a dog smarter than our second black lab. Looking into that dogs eyes and seeing the intelligents behind those eyes as it looked back was very strange! I almost expected it to start talking.

Dogs make great family members!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
bassballer

Marsh I would do anything you have to, to keep Banjo. Sounds like you have a great buddy there and I couldnt imagine having to give up my dog.

Were going to look at a black lab puppy today. I really want my other dog to have a buddy he can play with all day. I hope it works out. Im looking forward to having both the dogs on the boat. They make better fishing partners then some of my freinds.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #17
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

My wife will never admit to making a mistake so Sam is going to stay and I'm going to pick up the slack where my step daughter and wife drop the ball. I'm going to adjust my time so I can take care of her and just bug the crap out of my step daughter and remind her everyday what she needs to do. Sam is a good dog and she has a good life with Banjo it's just sad to see a teenager get what she wanted and just treat her like a little stuffed animal.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Hope it all works out Marsh, sounds like she has a good life with you and banjo.

Hopefully the women will help pitch in and lessen the burden on you.

Good luck!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device