Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I have 2 stories.......the first was when I first started building plugs. As many of us do when we start out I knocked off my favorite builders plug to get started! I knocked off a few of Habs 2 oz. needlefish to exact specs! The first night I ever took one of my own hand built lures out to fish I went to Ballston Beach with my buddy Slingah (he had one too I think) anyway we got there and Slingah made a test cast checking for "Mung"...(remember Mung?) and he hooked up right away so I started casting and hooked up right off the bat! We caught bass from 15-25 pounds from 10pm to the time the sun came up!!! We were alone on the beach until we were joined by Slipknot and Bassmaster!!! We had a great night and I owed it all to Johnny Habs needlefish! My second story was a great night I had on a blurple Habs 2 oz. needle......arrived at a local spot and my buddies were already crushing bass! I started casting and catching and by the time the fish moved on I had about 8 bass to 25 pounds.....one of my buddies had beached a 35 pounder! Habs made some killer plugs......and John gave me some great plug building advice over the few years I was fortunate enough to have known him! He was never selfish and never resented anyone else building plugs as many do! So glad I got to know John!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
Clogston29
xxx

my best fish on a metal lip, 38 lbs, came on a black hab's stix. caught it only a few days before he passed. corresponded with John about it via e-mail and he was excited about it. haven't fished it again. I have a lot of hab's plugs and fish or will fish all of them, but that one probably will not see the water again.

Posted a pic here: http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ad.php?t=56458

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote