Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-14-2022, 07:18 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Desantis sends two plane loads of illegals to Martha’s Vineyard

there is no earthly reason why southern border states should bear the burden of clowns in DC ( both parties!) choosing not to do their jobs. Every state should take a proportional share, it’s a federal issue. If liberal states want to declare themselves “sanctuaries” and therefore incentivize more illegals to come, they should get a disproportionate share. You want “em , you got ‘em.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:44 AM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

In retaliation, the vineyard sent Alan Dershowitz and thanked him for not sending Floridians.
All the immigrants are currently employed in the service industry.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-15-2022, 06:16 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Mass democrat lawmaker says bringing immigrants to the Vineyard is “evil and inhumane.”

Why?

Why is it so much better if all of them are crammed into southern border states? If liberals actually believed what they claim to believe in this issue ( and clearly they don’t), they’d be sending empty buses themselves to southern states, asking for immigrants to take back north.

Mayors of DC and ChicGo went berserk when they got a small taste of what border states experience every day. And in Lightfoots case, she apparently shipped them out to the suburbs. Some sanctuary supporter she is!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mas...-evil-inhumane
Old 09-15-2022, 07:04 AM   #4
wdmso

you are so blind you can't even see this stunt for what it is ...

even immigrants want to move to Florida But your 2nd man crush wants to make political points...

FYI a flight paid for by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and that originated in San Antonio, Texas.

So Using florida taxpayer Money. or his own? to send them to what the MAGA world sees as the Liberal bread basket of Martha vineyard .. with its 17,000 year-round residents

yep all about looking like he's owing the libs for his own Hope hell get the 2024 nomination
Old 09-15-2022, 07:11 AM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Why is it so much better if all of them are crammed into southern border states? e[/url]
yep they are being Crammed into southern states ..

Texas is the second-largest state in the US with an area of 268,597 square miles or 171,902,080 acres. In comparison, Texas is about 1.65 times larger than California,Texas has 29 million residents and the 13th highest GDP in the world at 1.78 trillion as of 2019.

Mass democrat lawmaker says bringing immigrants to the Vineyard is “evil and inhumane.”

You can't figure that out on your own?
Old 09-15-2022, 07:20 AM   #6
wdmso

I love this statement seeing there have been zero changes on the border since biden took office both physical or policy

a spokesperson for DeSantis sent a statement to NPR and other news outlets confirming that the migrants were transported by Florida under a state program that was funded by the legislature earlier this year. The statement reads in part: "States like Massachusetts, New York and California will better facilitate the care of these individuals who they have invited into our country by incentivizing illegal immigration."

All republicans do is Lie 24x7
Old 09-15-2022, 07:21 AM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

At some point the feds/congress will awards billions in funds to help assimilate these immigrants into our country. At that point there will be a war between the states to grab the money for their own uses... And I would expect DeSantis will want his money for this group he just unloaded on to MV... Politicians are an awful breed. All of them.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:29 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
yep they are being Crammed into southern states ..

Texas is the second-largest state in the US with an area of 268,597 square miles or 171,902,080 acres. In comparison, Texas is about 1.65 times larger than California,Texas has 29 million residents and the 13th highest GDP in the world at 1.78 trillion as of 2019.

You can't figure that out on your own?
tell me why the citizens of texas should be more on the hook to bear this burden, than the citizens of martha’s vineyard. Pretty simple and pertinent question.

the illegals don’t live in undeveloped dust bowl parts of texas wayne. it’s very easy for you to criticize texas when you know you don’t have to deal with what they have to deal with. and when you get a tiny tiny taste of what they see every day, the left goes berserk.

again,,liberals should be demanding that morenilkegaos go to their states. But lord knows they don’t.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:30 AM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

This was all fixed between the parties with Reagan era Amnesty, except one party did not keep their end of the deal.

Next best way to fix this would have been to close off the border and LEGALLY increase immigration numbers. Instead, politicians created a hidden class of people.

Yesterday, there were more people that crossed the border, each, in TX or AZ than were flown to MV.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rder-wall.html

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-15-2022, 07:31 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
At some point the feds/congress will awards billions in funds to help assimilate these immigrants into our country. At that point there will be a war between the states to grab the money for their own uses... And I would expect DeSantis will want his money for this group he just unloaded on to MV... Politicians are an awful breed. All of them.
two plane loads is nothing. there are uncountable numbers of
millions of them in the country. millions and millions. we already spend bazillions on this issue. It’s beyond stupid. no other country on the planet acts this way, for good reason.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:05 AM   #11
PaulS

No other country is as rich as we are with millions of poor bordering us.

We should increase legal immigration drastically. Now would be a good time to give extra consideration to those Russ./ukr scientist/bus. owners.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:18 AM   #12
Nebe

This is great news for the vineyard. Taco and burrito production will thrive. Restaurants who have labor issues will have plenty of workers.

Thanks Rhonda Santis
Old 09-15-2022, 08:21 AM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
If only we could get term limits, all these career politicians can retire, well past the time for that change.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:28 AM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

We should increase legal immigration drastically. Now would be a good time to give extra consideration to those Russ./ukr scientist/bus. owners.
Agreed. That needs to be a discussion point.
Barry Ritholtz was on a pod cast talking about labor shortage issues related to COVID (deaths + earlier retirements + people improving their skills and moving up into better jobs + people who left jobs to start a small business). He was advocating for this increase to bolster the service/production/transport sectors...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:

we are rich. doesn’t mean there aren’t limits. Why did chicago mayor Lightfoot take the illegals from Texas and ship them all to the suburbs? why wasn’t she happy to build houses for them and put them in her schools? Because talk is cheap. But caring for a meaningful number if unskilled immigrants who don’t speak the language, is extremely expensive.

The army told soldiers this week that they should
apply for food stamps because of inflation. That happened, I’m not making that up. How about we fix that before we spend billions on people who came here illegally, and before we spend a trillion forgiving student loans, including for wealthy families making $250k.

Seal up the border tight. Then increase legal immigration.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:37 AM   #16
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Agreed. That needs to be a discussion point.
Barry Ritholtz was on a pod cast talking about labor shortage issues related to COVID (deaths + earlier retirements + people improving their skills and moving up into better jobs + people who left jobs to start a small business). He was advocating for this increase to bolster the service/production/transport sectors...
I don't know who Ritholtz is but he sounds smart
Old 09-15-2022, 09:04 AM   #17
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
'The Big Picture' a blog about macroeconomics type stuff...

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-15-2022, 10:52 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:

Covid deaths are why there are unfilled jobs out there? I just looked up covid deaths by age, data i saw said that 70% of all covid deaths were for americans age 70 and older. how many were working at the kinds of jobs that are um- filled today?
Old 09-15-2022, 11:14 AM   #19
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Covid deaths are why there are unfilled jobs out there? I just looked up covid deaths by age, data i saw said that 70% of all covid deaths were for americans age 70 and older. how many were working at the kinds of jobs that are um- filled today?
1.05 million officially * 30% = 315,000 people.
Plus all the other factors listed, no one said it was the ONLY factor, it was A factor.

Bryan

Old 09-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #20
PaulS

so the conservative states are just going to send immigrants to small communities w/o notifying anyone? Shows a total lack of compassion to use them as pawns.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #21
PaulS

Quote:
Why do I care?
Old 09-15-2022, 12:41 PM   #22
wdmso

into our country

That’s coming from Ron’s press secretary

Let that soak in. Our country
Just more culture war nonsense from the right
Old 09-15-2022, 12:59 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

It’s just the Republican midterm play.
Create a border crisis
Caravans were getting stale, nothing ever happened with them.
So create some theater that gets nationwide news and try and make immigration a bigger issue than peoples rights.

I wonder who Jim and the rest of the miser class thinks is picking the produce or working the dairy. Not counting the tourism. Who do they think works that. Most of the immigrant people that are in my town work in dairy, vegetables or apples. Jobs people born in America won’t do.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:01 PM   #24
wdmso

Quote:
we are rich. doesn’t mean there aren’t limits. Why did chicago mayor Lightfoot take the illegals from Texas and ship them all to the suburbs? why wasn’t she happy to build houses for them and put them in her schools? Because talk is cheap. But caring for a meaningful number if unskilled immigrants who don’t speak the language, is extremely expensive.

The army told soldiers this week that they should
apply for food stamps because of inflation. That happened, I’m not making that up. How about we fix that before we spend billions on people who came here illegally, and before we spend a trillion forgiving student loans, including for wealthy families making $250k.

Seal up the border tight. Then increase legal immigration.
Young soldiers have been on food stamps for ever it’s nothing new look up e4 pay and try to Raise a family of 3 on it

How about we fix that before we spend billions on people who came here illegally,

Yep the illegals get welfare another republican lie

Still waiting on what’s changed on the border .

What happened to Trumps wall

And name a policy change made by Biden that opened the border

Just more of the same invasion and we have open boarders more gop lies

Trump slashes aid to Central America over migrants

Trump's plan to cut aid to Central America could push more migrants to come to US

Cutting aid to Central America could fuel desperate conditions that drive immigrants to the United States’ southern border.

Yep we are seeing 1st hand classic republicans making choices just to look good in the next election cycle.

Don’t think for a minute republicans want to fix immigration just like Roe they chase the car but when they catch it. They have no idea after that

What’s also funny they actually think their policy’s slow immigration when Trump was in office . Covid and Trump axed legal immigration.
He did nothing to curb it on the border he did what’s being done sending them back ..

The majority of immigrants being shipped around by Ron 4 wheels crossed at a legal crossing and applied for asylum .. and are being processed by the LAW . That congress refuses to fix
Old 09-15-2022, 01:05 PM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

The fact that Ron DeSantis sent a hired videographer on the planes to Martha's Vineyard means he wanted it for campaign footage. He understood how well the symbolism MV & cruelty to immigrants would play at the the next GOP Convention.
It will really excite the miser class
Old 09-15-2022, 01:14 PM   #26
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
The fact that Ron DeSantis sent a hired videographer on the planes to Martha's Vineyard means he wanted it for campaign footage. He understood how well the symbolism MV & cruelty to immigrants would play at the the next GOP Convention.
It will really excite the miser class
Exactly. Didn't know about the videographer. They could have announced it a few hours bf they arrived but instead wanted to cause the most misery to people.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:27 PM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
there is no earthly reason why southern border states should bear the burden of clowns in DC ( both parties!) choosing not to do their jobs. Every state should take a proportional share, it’s a federal issue. If liberal states want to declare themselves “sanctuaries” and therefore incentivize more illegals to come, they should get a disproportionate share. You want “em , you got ‘em.
The Martha’s Vineyard incident is a poignant reminder that the central conceit and defining principle of Republican politics is that everyone is secretly as cruel as they are, and surely nobody would genuinely want to help the people Republicans pack into planes and ship off to faraway liberal locales.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-15-2022, 01:58 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
so the conservative states are just going to send immigrants to small communities w/o notifying anyone? Shows a total lack of compassion to use them as pawns.
paul, are border states bearing a heavy burden due to the federal governments i willingness to seal the border?

so you don’t care when the illegals show up, “without notifying anyone”, in small border towns. That’s ok. But when they start sent to small liberal towns ( who claim to want them), then all of a sudden there’s a crisis.

as john said, the numbers sent are less than what individual border state sees in a single day, 365 days a year.

If liberals lived in the southern border, in the next nanosecond they’d stop saying walls are racist.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:06 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why do I care?
Well, you said it was "smart" when someone else posted that covoid deaths are a reason why there are a huge number of unfilled jobs. I don't see data to support that, and the demographics of covid deaths suggest that covid deaths aren't likely a big reason why. Getting people addicted to generous unemployment benefits may have been a larger contributor. But I doubt you care bout that either, because it doesn't serve liberalism.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Still waiting on what’s changed on the border .

How about way more people crossing, way more fentanyl overdoses killing Americans?

You aren't aware of anything different at the border today, compared to 2 years ago, seriously?