Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-03-2022, 07:42 AM   #61
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
brandon and his presidency are a complete disaster(and about to get worse)....apparently his only supporters are similarly mentally challenged, over-the-hill leftist loons

he sounds like a guys who knows he's about to spend the next two years getting impeached

you don't even have to cherry pick polls at this point..
5 very scary numbers for Democrats in the new CNN poll https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/02/polit...ons/index.html

....I hope they roll brandon out there every night till the elections....
brandon and his presidency are a complete disaster

It’s funny you had no such feelings or objections with the last president?

What’s does that say about you?

And your standards
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-03-2022, 07:57 AM   #62
PaulS

Scott - have you been living in SF as there are parts of Depape who sound just like you.

SAN FRANCISCO — After an intruder broke into the San Francisco home of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and bludgeoned her husband with a hammer, leaving him unconscious for three minutes as he lay in a pool of blood, the attacker told the police that he had other targets: a local professor and several prominent state and federal politicians.
The new details of the attack, which police officers say was motivated by the assailant’s desire to take Ms. Pelosi hostage, interrogate her and break her kneecaps if she “lied,” emerged on Tuesday from prosecutors as the suspect appeared in court for the first time.
The suspect, David DePape, 42, pleaded not guilty to several state felony charges after investigators say he broke into the Pelosi residence last week in the well-to-do Pacific Heights neighborhood and demanded to see Ms. Pelosi, the country’s third most powerful politician, who was in Washington at the time.
The filing by local prosecutors on Tuesday provided chilling details, including how Mr. Pelosi, in a terrifying situation, was able to surreptitiously call 911 while he was in the bathroom and the intruder was in the house. It also offered insights into a disturbed man seemingly enthralled by the conspiracy theories that have portrayed Ms. Pelosi as an enemy of the country.
After breaking into the home by slamming his body through a glass door on the back porch, the intruder found Mr. Pelosi, 82, asleep in his bedroom just after 2 a.m., according to the filing. He demanded to see Ms. Pelosi, and when he was told she wouldn’t be back for days, the suspect said he would wait for her.
Mr. Pelosi, sitting on his bed, asked why.
“Well, she’s No. 2 in line for the presidency, right?” the intruder said, according to the police. Soon after, he told Mr. Pelosi that “we’ve got to take them all out.”
At another point, when Mr. Pelosi asked if he could call anyone for Mr. DePape, the suspect “ominously responded that it was the end of the road for Mr. Pelosi,” the authorities said.
The police said that without any questioning, Mr. DePape told them that he was on a suicide mission. The authorities said he believed he had been captured by home security cameras and recorded on the 911 call, but remained undeterred.
The “defendant’s intent could not have been clearer,” the prosecutors wrote as they asked the court to detain Mr. DePape without bail, saying that he forced his way into the Pelosi home intending to take her hostage and “to seriously harm her.”
The latest filing came a day after federal prosecutors filed a complaint against Mr. DePape that said that he directly targeted Ms. Pelosi and intended to make an example of her to other members of Congress.
“I’m sick of the insane #^&#^&#^&#^&ing level of lies coming out of Washington, D.C.,” he told officers at the scene, according to the local filing. “I came to have a little chat with his wife.”
During the 911 call that prompted a dispatcher to send officers, Mr. Pelosi left the phone on speaker and, trying to keep the assailant calm, was able to gently imply to the dispatcher that something was amiss.
At one point, to defuse the situation, prosecutors wrote, Mr. Pelosi told the dispatcher that he didn’t need the police. When the dispatcher told him to call back if he changed his mind, he said, “No, no, no, this gentleman just, uh, came into the house, uh, and he wants to wait for my wife to come home.”
In the days since the attack, those who know Mr. DePape have described a shy man who once seemed to live the lifestyle of a Bay Area hippie, making hemp jewelry and attending protests against a ban on public nudity, but who in recent years fell into homelessness, isolation and darkness, spending his time immersed in an online world of conspiracy theories and bigotry.
About six years ago, according to his most recent employer, Mr. DePape was down on his luck, living under a tree in a park and hanging around outside a lumber store in Berkeley, Calif., looking for work.
“You know how people sit outside and wait for someone to come and offer them work?” recalled Frank Ciccarelli, a carpenter who builds houses and makes furniture. “He was sitting there. So I picked him up. So he started working for me. And he really worked out well.”
For the next several years, Mr. Ciccarelli became close to Mr. DePape, even as he worked less and seemed to spend more time online, immersed in right-wing conspiracy theories — right up until a week ago, when he paid Mr. DePape his most recent wages.
At his court appearance on Tuesday, Mr. DePape, with long brown hair, wore a jail uniform of a long-sleeve orange shirt and orange pants, as well as a black face mask. He did not turn around to face the assembled news outlets, but his attorney spoke in his ear several times and he nodded. When the judge asked him if he was prepared to waive his right to a hearing within 10 days, Mr. DePape nodded slightly and said, “Yes.”
Mr. DePape was assigned a public defender, Adam Lipson, to represent him. In comments after Tuesday’s court appearance, Mr. Lipson said that Mr. DePape was recently moved to the county jail from a hospital, where he was treated for a dislocated shoulder he sustained during the arrest.
Mr. Lipson promised to mount a “vigorous defense” and signaled that one possible strategy could be to highlight his client’s “vulnerability” to the misinformation and conspiracy theories that have become so prominent in American political life.
Mr. Ciccarelli, 76, described Mr. DePape as a quiet person and diligent worker — an easygoing guy, at least until the topic of politics came up. He said he spent several hours a day with Mr. DePape, four or five days a week. “I think I know him better than anyone does.”
Over the six years he has known Mr. DePape, Mr. Ciccarelli said, he witnessed a transformation from a shy and hardworking, but troubled, man into someone who was increasingly isolated and captive to his darkest thoughts.
“If you got him talking about politics, it was all over,” Mr. Ciccarelli recalled in an interview this week. “Because he really believed in the whole MAGA, ‘Pizzagate,’ stolen election — you know, all of it, all the way down the line His responses all were very snarky and he ended up losing the few friends he had.”
The state charges against Mr. DePape came on Monday, along with several federal charges, including the attempted murder of Mr. Pelosi, who remains in intensive care at a local hospital after undergoing surgery on Friday, according to a person familiar with the situation. In a statement on Monday, Ms. Pelosi said her husband, “is making steady progress on what will be a long recovery process.”
Mr. DePape grew up in British Columbia in Canada and moved to California about two decades ago to pursue a relationship with a woman he had met in Hawaii. For a time, he house-sat for a woman in the East Bay area who ran an urban farm for low-income residents, and sometimes helped take care of the chickens.
From 2002 to 2009, Mr. DePape was registered to vote in San Francisco County and declared himself affiliated with the Green Party, according to county records that showed he voted once, in 2002. He attested to being eligible to vote.
After working together for a few years, Mr. Ciccarelli helped Mr. DePape get away from the streets, moving him into a friend’s garage studio in Richmond, Calif.
“Once he was housed, he had much more time to spend on his computer, Unfortunately he became a troll.” Mr. Ciccarelli said. “Because when you’re living under a tree, you don’t have a plug.”
On Saturday, the F.B.I. raided the garage in Richmond and seized two hammers, a sword and a pair of gloves.
As he spent more time on his computer in recent months, Mr. DePape appeared to have produced a voluminous record of his political leanings — ranting about the 2020 election being stolen, appearing to deny the gassing of Jews at Auschwitz and claiming that schoolteachers were grooming children to be transgender. Mr. DePape’s blog was registered at the Richmond address where he resided.
Mr. Ciccarelli, who said he was scheduled to work with Mr. DePape on Monday, said he never heard Mr. DePape make racist comments, but said he had become increasingly isolated the last few years and wanted to work less in the carpentry business.
“He was completely caught up in the fantasy, in the MAGA fantasy, ” he said.
Over the last few days, Mr. Ciccarelli has struggled to make sense of the news about his friend. “He did a monstrous thing, but he’s not a monster,” he said. “He’s really decent, gentle — it sounds crazy to say gentle — but he was a very gentle soul. But he was going downhill. He went down the rabbit hole.”
Old 11-03-2022, 08:45 AM   #63
Jim in CT

paul the most likely explanation all along was a political hit job. but he’s insane.

Here’s a question for you. I wouldn’t care what any other lefties would respond to this, but i’m curious to know your reaction.

If you want to blame the GOP for this, then using that logic, don’t we also blame democrats for the shooting of republicans at the congressional softball game, for the assassination plot against Kavanaugh? If wnot, what’s the difference?

I really think we need to dial the rhetoric down. But the inflammatory rhetoric is not used exclusively by the right. I’m not saying the right doesn’t use language i think is inflammatory, we do it all the time. But so does the left.

In Bidens speech last night, naturally he said it was evil
to question the integrity of our elections. But Hilary is in tv saying the gop is planning to steal the 2022 and even the 2024 elections. Why is it ok when she does it?

Let’s tone down the rhetoric, have standards that we apply equally to everyone, and spend more time talking about which policies work and which don’t work.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #64
scottw

the leftist loons are gonna be pretty cranky...this should be fun
Old 11-03-2022, 08:49 AM   #65
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

paul the most likely explanation all along was a political hit job. but he’s insane.
when someone attacks a politician verbally or physically, it's usually politically motivated...AOC was verbally attacked recently by her own supporters because they believe she's sold them out....maybe this illegal hippie blm supporting rainbow flag waving child transitioning drug doing nut felt like nancy sold him out....or maybe he just wanted stock tips?
Old 11-03-2022, 08:51 AM   #66
Jim in CT

Quote:
when someone attacks a politician verbally or physically, it's usually politically motivated...AOC was verbally attacked recently by her own supporters because they believe she's sold them out....maybe this illegal hippie blm supporting rainbow flag waving child transitioning drug doing nut felt like nancy sold him out....or maybe he just wanted stock tips?
they are world class stock pickers!
Old 11-03-2022, 09:21 AM   #67
PaulS

Quote:
paul the most likely explanation all along was a political hit job. but he’s insane.agreed

Here’s a question for you. I wouldn’t care what any other lefties would respond to this, but i’m curious to know your reaction.

If you want to blame the GOP for this, then using that logic, don’t we also blame democrats for the shooting of republicans at the congressional softball game, for the assassination plot against Kavanaugh? If wnot, what’s the difference?The difference is that in the past when someone on either side got attacked/shot/etc it was over policy issues(taxes, the border, etc). This idiot believed the conspiracies spread by many Rs. If he says that he believed Trump won and the election was a fraud that can be tied directly to Trump, many in his admin. and many Rs.

I really think we need to dial the rhetoric down. But the inflammatory rhetoric is not used exclusively by the right. I’m not saying the right doesn’t use language i think is inflammatory, we do it all the time. But so does the left.agreed

In Bidens speech last night, naturally he said it was evil
to question the integrity of our elections. But Hilary is in tv saying the gop is planning to steal the 2022 and even the 2024 elections. Why is it ok when she does it?She is not the ex Pres for one and I'd have to see her full quotes.

Let’s tone down the rhetoric, have standards that we apply equally to everyone, and spend more time talking about which policies work and which don’t work.
NM
Old 11-03-2022, 09:24 AM   #68
PaulS

Quote:
the leftist loons are gonna be pretty cranky...this should be fun
Ok snarky troll. You sound like DePage.

If (prob) the Rs take back the house and possibly the Sen. it will be interesting to see the comments here compared to 2 years ago when the Ds won all three seats.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:49 AM   #69
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

Ok snarky troll. You sound like DePage.

^^^I think you have something here, you should repeat this as often as possible, it makes you sound thoughtful

If (prob) the Rs take back the house and possibly the Sen. it will be interesting to see the comments here compared to 2 years ago when the Ds won all three seats.
?huh?
Old 11-03-2022, 10:04 AM   #70
PaulS

Quote:
?huh?
Read what his former employer said about him.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #71
Jim in CT

Quote:
NM
"The difference is that in the past when someone on either side got attacked/shot/etc it was over policy issues(taxes, the border, etc)."

So it's less outrageous that the guy who planned to kill Kavanaugh, can say it was because of abortion? The fact that he can connect it to a policy decision that actually happened, makes it less vile than attacking Mr Pelosi because of the the lie that the election was stolen?

And what policy issue was the motive behind the shooting of 6 republicans at the congressional softball game?

God almighty man...you're saying it's less horrible to attack a politician over an actual policy position, than to attack a politician over a made up policy position? So it's more tolerable to kill republicans if you oppose the Trump tax cuts, than it is to kill a democrat because you think they're soft on crime?

Whew.

If you really believed what you just said, why aren't you condemning Hilary for already saying the GOP will steal the 2022 and 2024 elections?

Have fun answering that one.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #72
PaulS

Quote:
"The difference is that in the past when someone on either side got attacked/shot/etc it was over policy issues(taxes, the border, etc)."

So it's less outrageous that the guy who planned to kill Kavanaugh, can say it was because of abortion? The fact that he can connect it to a policy decision that actually happened, makes it less vile than attacking Mr Pelosi because of the the lie that the election was stolen?

And what policy issue was the motive behind the shooting of 6 republicans at the congressional softball game?

God almighty man...you're saying it's less horrible to attack a politician over an actual policy position, than to attack a politician over a made up policy position? never said thatSo it's more tolerable to kill republicans if you oppose the Trump tax cuts, than it is to kill a democrat because you think they're soft on crime?Pls. point out where I said anything remotely close to that?

Whew.

If you really believed what you just said, why aren't you condemning Hilary for already saying the GOP will steal the 2022 and 2024 elections?

Have fun answering that one.Ok douchebag
I showed his actions are directly tied to lies by Trump, his admin. and many Rs, not policy decisions. The guys who shot giffords and scalise did it bc of their policies - not because they were brainwashed by Trump or Hillary.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #73
Jim in CT

Quote:
I showed his actions are directly tied to lies by Trump, his admin. and many Rs, not policy decisions. The guys who shot giffords and scalise did it bc of their policies - not because they were brainwashed by Trump or Hillary.
Paul, you said the difference was that previous shootings were based on policy, and this one was based on the lie of election fraud.

So if we somehow found out that the 2020 election was stolen, you'd have a better opinion of the guy who attacked Pelosi?

"Ok douchebag"

But I'm angry.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:57 AM   #74
PaulS

Quote:
Paul, you said the difference was that previous shootings were based on policy, and this one was based on the lie of election fraud.

So if we somehow found out that the 2020 election was stolen, you'd have a better opinion of the guy who attacked Pelosi?It wouldn't change my opinion of him. What would change is that I wouldn't blame Trump, his admin. and many Rs.

"Ok douchebag"If you in anyway thinks saying "Have fun with that" isn't rude as sheet you better ask someone.

But I'm angry.
NM
Old 11-03-2022, 11:11 AM   #75
Jim in CT

Quote:
NM
Trying to follow you...

You blame Trump for the Pelosi attack, because Trump invented the lie that the attacker was motivated by. Even though Trump never told anyone to attack Pelosi due to election fraud.

But you won't say anything about Schumer and Kavanaugh, even though Schumer explicitly threatened Kavanaugh. You give Schumer a pass because Kavanaugh actually did vote to overturn Roe?
Old 11-03-2022, 11:31 AM   #76
PaulS

Quote:
Trying to follow you...

You blame Trump for the Pelosi attackThe blame lies with the individual who did it. But Trump and the Rs deserve criticism for making up a lie that lead a damaged idiot to attack Pelosi, because Trump invented the lie that the attacker was motivated by. Even though Trump never told anyone to attack Pelosi due to election fraud.

But you won't say anything about Schumer and Kavanaugh, even though Schumer explicitly threatened KavanaughIt there is a threat K can go to the police.. You give Schumer a pass because Kavanaugh actually did vote to overturn Roe?
That is right.

“And we fight. We fight like hell And if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.”
“All of us here today do not want to see our election victory stolen by emboldened radical-left Democrats, which is what they’re doing … We will never give up, we will never concede. It doesn’t happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved.”
“Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore and that’s what this is all about … We will stop the steal.”
“Because you’ll never take back our country with weakness, you have to show strength and you have to be strong.”

So do you have a link to Hillary's statement?
Old 11-03-2022, 11:33 AM   #77
scottw

Quote:

Read what his former employer said about him.
compared to 2 years ago when the Ds won all three seats. [/QUOTE]

?huh?
Old 11-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #78
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS

"Ok douchebag"

[/QUOTE]

Mr. Civility is never going to be a moderator.....
Old 11-03-2022, 11:37 AM   #79
scottw

Quote:

“And we fight. We fight like hell And if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.”
“All of us here today do not want to see our election victory stolen by emboldened radical-left Democrats, which is what they’re doing … We will never give up, we will never concede. It doesn’t happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved.”
“Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore and that’s what this is all about … We will stop the steal.”
“Because you’ll never take back our country with weakness, you have to show strength and you have to be strong.”
is this hillary or al gore?
Old 11-03-2022, 11:56 AM   #80
PaulS

Quote:
compared to 2 years ago when the Ds won all three seats.

?huh?[/QUOTE]

Read what his former employer said about him and how he felt sorry for Depage - Depage sounds like you.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:31 PM   #81
Jim in CT

[QUOTE=PaulS;1235002]That is right.

Schumer gets a complete free pass for explicitly threatening Kavanaugh. But you're not partisan, no sirr-eee.

Video of Hilary...

Old 11-03-2022, 12:43 PM   #82
scottw

Quote:
?huh?
Read what his former employer said about him and how he felt sorry for Depage - Depage sounds like you.[/QUOTE]

I don't care what was said about him, just curious what three seats you are talking about?
Old 11-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #83
PaulS

Quote:
Read what his former employer said about him and how he felt sorry for Depage - Depage sounds like you.
I don't care what was said about him, just curious what three seats you are talking about?[/QUOTE]

You should care. People look down on snarky trolls such as yourself.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:03 PM   #84
scottw

Quote:
I don't care what was said about him, just curious what three seats you are talking about?
You should care. People look down on snarky trolls such as yourself.[/QUOTE]

yeah...I really don't
Old 11-03-2022, 01:08 PM   #85
PaulS

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1235010]
Quote:
That is right.

Schumer gets a complete free pass for explicitly threatening Kavanaugh. But you're not partisan, no sirr-eee.

Video of Hilary...

Thank you posting. I listened to the first 2:30 and here is what she said.

“Right wing extremists already have a plan to steal the next presidential election. And they’re not making a secret of it. The right wing-controlled Supreme Court may be poised to rule on giving state legislatures the power to overturn presidential elections, if that happens the 2024 election could be determined by Republican-controlled state legislatures rather than the popular vote or the “anachronistic electoral college” but by states legislatures.

So everything she said is all true. How is throwing out the votes of the population and having the state legislature saying who won not "stealing" an election? Isn't that what you hear Russia doing and 3rd world countries do, for which we rightly criticize?
Old 11-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #86
PaulS

Quote:
You should care. People look down on snarky trolls such as yourself.
yeah...I really don't[/QUOTE]

That is obvious
Old 11-03-2022, 01:19 PM   #87
Jim in CT

[QUOTE=PaulS;1235016]
Quote:

Thank you posting. I listened to the first 2:30 and here is what she said.

“Right wing extremists already have a plan to steal the next presidential election. And they’re not making a secret of it. The right wing-controlled Supreme Court may be poised to rule on giving state legislatures the power to overturn presidential elections, if that happens the 2024 election could be determined by Republican-controlled state legislatures rather than the popular vote or the “anachronistic electoral college” but by states legislatures.

So everything she said is all true. How is throwing out the votes of the population and having the state legislature saying who won not "stealing" an election? Isn't that what you hear Russia doing and 3rd world countries do, for which we rightly criticize?
ok einstein. her baseless accusations of prospective theft that hasn’t happened yet, that’s ok

it’s only bad when republicans make baseless accusations of theft.

having legislatures certify elections is stealing, if they undo the results of the election. if they just certify what actually happened, how is that theft, Einstein?

everything, absolutely everything is ok when liberals do it. Schumer can explicitly threaten a supreme
court judge. no problem, he’s a democrat!!kavanaugh can just call the police.

that comment, that schumer didn’t do anything wrong because kavanaugh can call police, is when your credibility joined Pete’s and wayne’s.

using your logic, pelosi could have just called the police. heck they were already watching his house, they just missed it. using your logic, it’s not trumps fault.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #88
PaulS

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1235018]
Quote:

ok einstein.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #89
Jim in CT

[QUOTE=PaulS;1235019]
Quote:

douche bag is ok, but einstein isn’t.

paul it was a very weak argument even by democrat standards. Schumer has no blame, because kavanaugh can just call a cop if he’s threatened.

Why doesn’t that apply to paul pelosi?

Not only did Schumer threaten Kavanaugh, the feds also ignored federal law and let people
protest outside Kavanaughs house.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #90
PaulS

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1235020]
Quote:

douche bag is ok, but einstein isn’t.
You still don't get it. You insult me I will insult you back. The douche bag insult was in response to your insult. So I've stopped responding bc you can't help yourself.