Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-27-2022, 02:08 PM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The cons. states could have easily shown a little compassion to them by informing the cities they were being shipped there so the cities could be ready. But when NYC mayor Adams reached out to TX to discuss being informed, TX refused to tell him bc they showed their true colors by trying to cause as much pain and confusion as they could. It is just another demonstration how cons. states have no compassion for the less fortunate.
paul it’s very very easy to pat yourself in the back for being compassionate. The vineyard had a chance to put their money where their mouths are, and they showed their true colors.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:31 PM   #32
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
paul it’s very very easy to pat yourself in the back for being compassionate. no one is patting their own back just laughing at the cons. states whose true color is coming out by demonstrating their lack of compassion. Let's not forget who started the thread (one of multiple threads on the same subject)The vineyard had a chance to put their money where their mouths are, and they showed their true colors.
What a joke. They got the immigrants the help they needed. The cons. states repeatedly LIED to them and then shipped them off and REFUSED outreach to make it easier for the immigrants by informing the cities when they were coming.

Why didn't they respond to Adams?
Why ship people to MV when they had immigration meetings across the country?
Old 09-27-2022, 02:34 PM   #33
wdmso

Quote:
paul it’s very very easy to pat yourself in the back for being compassionate. The vineyard had a chance to put their money where their mouths are, and they showed their true colors.

The only True colors shown . We’re yours and those you support..

Disgusting colors still afraid to admit it was a stunt afraid to admit they played those people. And afraid to admit that MV and the state of Massachusetts took care of those people with dignity and compassion .

Something you and your party has forsaken.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
The only True colors shown . We’re yours and those you support..

Disgusting colors still afraid to admit it was a stunt afraid to admit they played those people. And afraid to admit that MV and the state of Massachusetts took care of those people with dignity and compassion .

Something you and your party has forsaken.
I said from day one it was a politically-motivated stunt. That doesn't mean it's invalid. The southern states are being pulverized by Washington's refusal to secure our border. The people living there pay taxes, and have the right to expect better.

MV took care of them? For 2 days? Let's give them all the Nobel Peace Prize.

This is a winning issue for the right. Americans don't like open borders, for the same exact reason that you don't leave your door open at night.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:42 PM   #35
Pete F.
Canceled

Probably one of the damn lib law officers

A Texas sheriff has certified that the migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard by Ron DeSantis were victims of a crime and qualified them for a special visa that they would not have otherwise been eligible for.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:36 PM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Probably one of the damn lib law officers

A Texas sheriff has certified that the migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard by Ron DeSantis were victims of a crime and qualified them for a special visa that they would not have otherwise been eligible for.
why not make up
a fake quote while you’re at it?
Old 10-13-2022, 06:38 PM   #37
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
why not make up
a fake quote while you’re at it?
Poor victim, still sitting in the low chair?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-13-2022, 06:57 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Poor victim, still sitting in the low chair?
you make up a quote, try to pass it off as authentic, and i’m the one with the character flaw!!
Old 10-13-2022, 09:19 PM   #39
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
you make up a quote, try to pass it off as authentic, and i’m the one with the character flaw!!
You consistently report misinformation as truth.
Satire consistently goes over your head.

Here’s something for you to think about

Greene: Biden’s 5 million illegal aliens are on the verge of replacing you, your jobs, and your kids in school. Coming from all over the world, they’re also replacing your culture

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-14-2022, 05:19 AM   #40
scottw

Quote:

not as often as you are completely wrong....
Old 10-14-2022, 05:35 AM   #41
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
not as often as you are completely wrong....
That’s your opinion

On the other hand, if you only post asinine snips you’re a troll

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-14-2022, 06:53 AM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
Satire consistently goes over your head.

Here’s something for you to think about

Greene: Biden’s 5 million illegal aliens are on the verge of replacing you, your jobs, and your kids in school. Coming from all over the world, they’re also replacing your culture
You didn't post that as satire, you had it in quotes, with no indication that it was satire.

"Greene: Biden’s 5 million illegal aliens are on the verge of replacing you, your jobs, and your kids in school. Coming from all over the world, they’re also replacing your culture"

She's not completely wrong there. Assuming that was an actual quote...

Americans don't want open borders. This is a losing issue for the left, like the Roe decision is a losing issue for the right.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:03 AM   #43
scottw

Quote:

You didn't post that as satire, you had it in quotes, with no indication that it was satire.
he confuses himself often...
Old 10-14-2022, 07:05 AM   #44
wdmso

The committee focused on Trump falsely declaring victory on election night, which they cast as part of a premeditated plan.

They played taped testimony from Greg Jacob, a top aide to Vice President Mike Pence, saying that Pence’s aides discussed how to deal with that possibility. The committee also shared an email to White House aides dated Oct. 31 from Tom Fitton, head of the conservative group Judicial Watch. Fitton suggested Trump should claim that ballots “counted by the Election Day deadline” showed he won. Fitton sent another email on Nov. 3, saying he had spoken with Trump about this.

For Jim and Scott this did happen either. Or if it did they don’t care
Old 10-14-2022, 07:08 AM   #45
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

"Greene: Biden’s 5 million illegal aliens are on the verge of replacing you, your jobs, and your kids in school. Coming from all over the world, they’re also replacing your culture"

She's not completely wrong there. Assuming that was an actual quote...

Americans don't want open borders. This is a losing issue for the left, like the Roe decision is a losing issue for the right.
There’s video

As far as her statement it’s white nationalist Great Replacement boogeyman BS. It's dangerous and it should be called out, because it regularly appears in mass shooting manifestos.

Fascists use it to scare people -- there's no better way to control people than with fear.

No immigrant has taken your job. If you were laid off, it would be by a capitalist who required cheap labor and took advantage of that immigrant to increase his profits, and nothing makes him happier than to hear you blame the immigrant and not him.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-14-2022, 07:27 AM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
The committee focused on Trump falsely declaring victory on election night, which they cast as part of a premeditated plan.

They played taped testimony from Greg Jacob, a top aide to Vice President Mike Pence, saying that Pence’s aides discussed how to deal with that possibility. The committee also shared an email to White House aides dated Oct. 31 from Tom Fitton, head of the conservative group Judicial Watch. Fitton suggested Trump should claim that ballots “counted by the Election Day deadline” showed he won. Fitton sent another email on Nov. 3, saying he had spoken with Trump about this.

For Jim and Scott this did happen either. Or if it did they don’t care
maybe you and Fetterman had the same stroke? i hate what Trump did, i’ve said it 10,000 times. Yet because you can never admit anyone on your side is flawed, you assume i suffer from that same blindness, when clearly i don’t.

I hope the committee nails trump and he never runs again. What about that don’t you understand?

Now, if he were to run again and be the gop nominee, i’d probably vote for him over and conceivable democrat candidate. Because i am convinced his policy ideas are far superior for the 300 million people living here

He clobbered your unbeatable candidate in 2016, did it by giving you all the finger every chance he could, then he did the unthinkable and got Roe overturned, for which you should be grateful ( it won’t drastically reduce access to abortion and yet it’s a political win for democrats), instead it made you even more deranged with hate. You talk about trump ten times more than you talk about the current president.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:59 AM   #47
scottw

Quote:

Fascists use it to scare people -- there's no better way to control people than with fear.

sounds like every political ad for every democrap right now....
Old 10-14-2022, 08:13 AM   #48
Pete F.
Canceled

Has anyone else notice the republican’s are not campaigning on their own platform but are only attacking Biden and Harris.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
sounds like every political ad for every democrap right now....
EXACTLY. Any criticism of the current administration is hate-filled, racist, violent, insurrectionist MAGA nonsense.

When a republican is president, all of a sudden dissent is patriotic. When a democrat is in the white house, dissent is loathsome. That's a very convenient standard for democrats.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #50
Pete F.
Canceled

Hey, Seniors! This is REAL…

President Biden & the Democrats just got you a nearly 9% raise for 2023!

While on the flip side, you've got the Republican Party that want to gut Social Security.

Vote accordingly.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:32 AM   #51
Jim in CT

Quote:

While on the flip side, you've got the Republican Party that want to gut Social Security.

Vote accordingly.

Who wants to gut SS, exactly?

How about a fake quote from Greene, saying the GOP wants to kill all seniors and sell their stuff on ebay?

Can you tell us where the money is coming from, for that 9% raise? Because SS is operating deficits as it is.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #52
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

How about a fake quote from Greene, saying the GOP wants to kill all seniors and sell their stuff on ebay?

Can you tell us where the money is coming from, for that 9% raise? Because SS is operating deficits as it is.
If the Social Security Expansion Act had been enacted last year, Elon Musk would have paid $2.9 billion more in taxes, seniors would have received $2,400 more in benefits and Social Security would be solvent for more than 75 years.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-14-2022, 09:08 AM   #53
scottw

Quote:

Vote accordingly.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:20 AM   #54
Jim in CT

Quote:

I see you didn't get the memo...it's not fear mongering when they do it.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:59 AM   #55
PaulS

Quote:

Here is some fear mongering:

Senator Ron Johnson said on a radio show this month that Social Security and Medicare shouldn’t be “mandatory” programs and should be subject to yearly renewal decisions in Congress.

And he’s one of many Republican candidates touching the “third rail” of American politics and calling for cuts to long-term Social Security, against Democratic objections, per NBC News.

Mandela Barnes, Johnson’s Democratic opponent, accused him of “want[ing] to strip seniors of the benefits they’ve worked their entire lives for.”

Blake Masters, a Republican candidate for Senate from Arizona, offered the “fresh and innovative idea” to “privatize Social Security” during a speech at a fiscal conservative forum this June. He later recanted that idea, but Democrats showcased footage of those comments in TV ads asking voters to “say no” to Masters.

In February, Senate Republican campaign chair Rick Scott (R–Fla.) published “An 11-Point Plan to Rescue America,” which included a call to sunset “all federal legislation” in five years unless Congress opts to pass that legislation again.

And:

Bloomberg’s Jack Fitzpatrick interviewed several Republican contenders to lead the House Budget Committee. They all said, with varying levels of specificity, that they plan to instigate a debt-ceiling standoff to force Biden to accept cuts to retirement and health-care programs. “Our main focus has got to be on nondiscretionary — it’s got to be on entitlements,” said Representative Buddy Carter. Representative Jodey Arrington said he wants “eligibility reforms,” which means raising the eligibility age and imposing a means test for Social Security and Medicare benefits. “We should ensure that we keep the promises that were made to the people who really need it, the people who are relying on it,” said Representative Lloyd Smucker. “So some sort of means-testing potentially would help to ensure that we can do that.”

It might seem strange that Republicans would be pivoting to a more aggressive agenda without holding the White House. But this is actually consistent with the strategy they have followed over the past three decades. Republicans are committed to scaling back the safety net. But they realize this agenda is toxically unpopular — even less popular than defunding the police, a policy Democrats have repudiated en masse.

They could try to accomplish this through compromise — the previous two Democratic presidents showed some willingness to trade social-spending cuts for higher taxes on the rich. But higher taxes on the rich are completely verboten in the GOP. And so their strategy is to force Democratic presidents to sign spending cuts into law against their will.

The 1995–96 Republican Congress instigated a series of government shutdowns in the belief they could force Bill Clinton to accept cuts to taxes and social programs. This crusade blew up in their faces and helped Clinton win reelection. But rather than abandon it, they tried it again under Barack Obama, this time using the debt ceiling as the hostage of choice. That, too, failed.

But the Republican plan is to try it again with Biden. They are already floating their message: The Republicans will insist they won’t raise the debt ceiling unless Biden agrees to Republican-designed spending cuts, and they will blame him for the global meltdown if he refuses their demands. “If Republicans are trying to cut spending, surely he wouldn’t try to default,” said Representative Jason Smith, the prospective chair of the House Ways and Means Committee.

And while this tactic has never worked before, it has the theoretical attraction of evading the public’s deep aversion to the GOP policy agenda by extorting the Democrats into endorsing it.

Last June, the Republican Study Committee, a conservative caucus that includes more than three-quarters of the House Republicans, released a sweeping domestic-budget plan. It received little attention in the mainstream media. The plan, notes Fitzpatrick, would

gradually raise the Medicare age of eligibility to 67 and the Social Security eligibility to 70 before indexing both to life expectancy. It backed withholding payments to those who retired early and had earnings over a certain limit. And it endorsed the consideration of options to reduce payroll taxes that fund Social Security and redirect them to private alternatives. It also urged lawmakers to “phase-in an increase in means testing” for Medicare.

On top of partially cutting Medicare and Social Security and partially privatizing the latter, the RSC plan would implement various regressive tax cuts favored by the GOP.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:26 PM   #56
PaulS

Quote:

Here is a good quote from one of the basket of deplorables Greene:

No matter what you think of Alex Jones all he did was speak words,” she tweeted yesterday after the verdict was announced. “He was not the one who pulled the trigger. Were his words wrong and did he apologize? Yes. That’s what freedom of speech is. Freedom to speak words. Political persecution must end.”
Old 10-14-2022, 12:35 PM   #57
Jim in CT

Quote:
Here is some fear mongering:

Senator Ron Johnson said on a radio show this month that Social Security and Medicare shouldn’t be “mandatory” programs and should be subject to yearly renewal decisions in Congress.

And he’s one of many Republican candidates touching the “third rail” of American politics and calling for cuts to long-term Social Security, against Democratic objections, per NBC News.

Mandela Barnes, Johnson’s Democratic opponent, accused him of “want[ing] to strip seniors of the benefits they’ve worked their entire lives for.”

Blake Masters, a Republican candidate for Senate from Arizona, offered the “fresh and innovative idea” to “privatize Social Security” during a speech at a fiscal conservative forum this June. He later recanted that idea, but Democrats showcased footage of those comments in TV ads asking voters to “say no” to Masters.

In February, Senate Republican campaign chair Rick Scott (R–Fla.) published “An 11-Point Plan to Rescue America,” which included a call to sunset “all federal legislation” in five years unless Congress opts to pass that legislation again.

And:

Bloomberg’s Jack Fitzpatrick interviewed several Republican contenders to lead the House Budget Committee. They all said, with varying levels of specificity, that they plan to instigate a debt-ceiling standoff to force Biden to accept cuts to retirement and health-care programs. “Our main focus has got to be on nondiscretionary — it’s got to be on entitlements,” said Representative Buddy Carter. Representative Jodey Arrington said he wants “eligibility reforms,” which means raising the eligibility age and imposing a means test for Social Security and Medicare benefits. “We should ensure that we keep the promises that were made to the people who really need it, the people who are relying on it,” said Representative Lloyd Smucker. “So some sort of means-testing potentially would help to ensure that we can do that.”

It might seem strange that Republicans would be pivoting to a more aggressive agenda without holding the White House. But this is actually consistent with the strategy they have followed over the past three decades. Republicans are committed to scaling back the safety net. But they realize this agenda is toxically unpopular — even less popular than defunding the police, a policy Democrats have repudiated en masse.

They could try to accomplish this through compromise — the previous two Democratic presidents showed some willingness to trade social-spending cuts for higher taxes on the rich. But higher taxes on the rich are completely verboten in the GOP. And so their strategy is to force Democratic presidents to sign spending cuts into law against their will.

The 1995–96 Republican Congress instigated a series of government shutdowns in the belief they could force Bill Clinton to accept cuts to taxes and social programs. This crusade blew up in their faces and helped Clinton win reelection. But rather than abandon it, they tried it again under Barack Obama, this time using the debt ceiling as the hostage of choice. That, too, failed.

But the Republican plan is to try it again with Biden. They are already floating their message: The Republicans will insist they won’t raise the debt ceiling unless Biden agrees to Republican-designed spending cuts, and they will blame him for the global meltdown if he refuses their demands. “If Republicans are trying to cut spending, surely he wouldn’t try to default,” said Representative Jason Smith, the prospective chair of the House Ways and Means Committee.

And while this tactic has never worked before, it has the theoretical attraction of evading the public’s deep aversion to the GOP policy agenda by extorting the Democrats into endorsing it.

Last June, the Republican Study Committee, a conservative caucus that includes more than three-quarters of the House Republicans, released a sweeping domestic-budget plan. It received little attention in the mainstream media. The plan, notes Fitzpatrick, would

gradually raise the Medicare age of eligibility to 67 and the Social Security eligibility to 70 before indexing both to life expectancy. It backed withholding payments to those who retired early and had earnings over a certain limit. And it endorsed the consideration of options to reduce payroll taxes that fund Social Security and redirect them to private alternatives. It also urged lawmakers to “phase-in an increase in means testing” for Medicare.

On top of partially cutting Medicare and Social Security and partially privatizing the latter, the RSC plan would implement various regressive tax cuts favored by the GOP.
"Senator Ron Johnson said on a radio show this month that Social Security and Medicare shouldn’t be “mandatory” programs and should be subject to yearly renewal decisions in Congress."

Oh, that's fear mongering! Then why are public teachers allowed to not take part in Social Security? As always, it's ok when liberals benefit from participation being voluntary, but you say it's fear mongering when a Republican suggests it.

"Mandela Barnes, Johnson’s Democratic opponent, accused him of “want[ing] to strip seniors of the benefits they’ve worked their entire lives for.”"

Nowhere in your quote attributed to Johnson, did he come close to saying he'd take away benefits that people paid for.

You want to see a lying fear monger? Look in the mirror.

SS and Medicare are programs where current benefits are paid for, by people currently contributing. Which necessarily means benefits for todays younger people are NOT funded by their own contributions, but rather rely on future contributions of future participants.

There's a term for that kind of structure. It's called a Ponzi scheme. I'm not saying SS and Medicare were set up to defraud anyone, but they are nonetheless ponzi schemes. Ponzi schemes don't usually end well for people who come along later, the math is especially unfavorable to generations after the baby boomers.

If I could opt out of SS today (meaning I'd walk away from everything I've ever contributed, never see any benefit, never pay another cent in SS taxes, let the feds keep the taxes I've paid so far), Id jump at the chance. I'd be crazy not to do so. This is precisely why teachers bought their way out of it, because it stinks.

Are you telling us you'd rather pay into SS for 45 years, instead of being able to privatize your contributions, and invest them yourself? You gong to say that with a straight face? You wouldn't be way better off putting that money into an age-indexed mutual fund?

Why do teachers deserve the benefit of not being dragged into it? Why is their well being more important than everyone elses?
Old 10-14-2022, 02:02 PM   #58
PaulS

Quote:
"Senator Ron Johnson said on a radio show this month that Social Security and Medicare shouldn’t be “mandatory” programs and should be subject to yearly renewal decisions in Congress."

Oh, that's fear mongering! Then why are public teachers allowed to not take part in Social Security? As always, it's ok when liberals benefit from participation being voluntary, but you say it's fear mongering when a Republican suggests it.
Yes it is fear mongering. If you want to discuss public teachers start another thread.

You seem to not remember the statement you made about SS so I'll repost it for you.

"Who wants to gut SS, exactly?"
Old 10-14-2022, 02:03 PM   #59
PaulS

Quote:

You want to see a lying fear monger? Look in the mirror.
Ok douche bag. Is it a wonder you have no friends.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
Ok douche bag. Is it a wonder you have no friends.
sorry, you lied about what he said. if you think it’s bad to suggest that SS should be voluntary, you ought to be able to explain why it’s good for all of us that teachers bribed democrats so that THEY could be exempt from SS.

guter saying it’s ok for teachers not to participate, but fear mongering to suggest the rest of us not be forced to participate.

because you’re a partisan hack.

i taught. i know exactly why my union got me out of SS. because it’s not a good deal for participants, especially those after the baby boomers.