Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

inappropriate and negligent
if it were anyone else, they would be fired, fined and in jail

it's up to prosecutors now

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
it's up to prosecutors now
Huh? Legally speaking this story is dead.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I listened to the press conference, I will post the transcript later and highlight key items. Had ANYONE else done that than the political uber elite they would have been prosecuted.

There will be significant protesting form the Intelligence Community.

The FBI has said either :

Nobody will be prosecuted for mishandling intelligence information if you say it was not intentional

or

The rules still apply to the peasants.

Both have significant, negative impacts on information storage.

Any thoughts on a 3rd possibility - those of you with a Security clearance (that can comment?)

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yep. It's worth noting that the FBI doesn't have a history of being overly political. I think it was worth doing the investigation, you have to investigate to determine whether or not any laws were broken.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Huh?
The FBI stated it was illegal but legally speaking the story is dead , HUH?

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #6
buckman

And we are left to believe that this is just another situation of blaring incompetence and carelessness where nobody will be held accountable. Status quo for this administration
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Fishpart
Keep The Change

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 07-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Makes you wonder if this is the time, dunnit

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #9
DZ

I never thought that criminal charges would stick in this case. That said, based on Comey's scathing report on Hillary's carelessness her security clearance should be revoked at the very least. Any other government executive or employee would lose their clearance in a case like this for sure.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
Jim in CT

I just listened to the FBI briefing. The director said explicitly, that they found dozens of emails that were flagged as classified (or something like that) at the time she sent them to her personal server. Again, I'm not expert on these things, but doesn't that mean she lied? Hasn't her defense been all along, that she sent nothing that was classified at the time it was sent?
Old 07-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #11
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I just listened to the FBI briefing. The director said explicitly, that they found dozens of emails that were flagged as classified (or something like that) at the time she sent them to her personal server. Again, I'm not expert on these things, but doesn't that mean she lied? Hasn't her defense been all along, that she sent nothing that was classified at the time it was sent?
Read the transcript of the FBI directors announcement.
It was an indictment of her character and judgment.
She also lied about most things , including whether they were classified as top-secret or classified at the time they were sent ( well over 100 ) and the FBI found thousands of more emails that were work related that were not released by Hillary .
He even said that with the given evidence, anybody else could face charges.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Not necessarily, you could easily pass along an email thread containing classified information without even knowing it.

I've read that one "should have known" incident was discussing a public NYT article about drone strikes simply because the drone program was classified. Big whoop...

I'm glad they did the detailed investigationand that they found no evidence of intentional wrongdoing or cover up...conspiracy theories be dammed. You should also put the FBI comments on context of the IG report calling out lax information handling at State well before Clinton.

Fundamentally there's not a lot of new info here aside from the fact that the issue isn't worthy of prosecution...
Old 07-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Not necessarily, you could easily pass along an email thread containing classified information without even knowing it.

I've read that one "should have known" incident was discussing a public NYT article about drone strikes simply because the drone program was classified. Big whoop...

I'm glad they did the detailed investigationand that they found no evidence of intentional wrongdoing or cover up...conspiracy theories be dammed. You should also put the FBI comments on context of the IG report calling out lax information handling at State well before Clinton.

Fundamentally there's not a lot of new info here aside from the fact that the issue isn't worthy of prosecution...
You are completely out of your gourd. She said that 0 emails were flagged as classified or higher, when she sent. There were over 100. The FBI director said no reasonable person could have failed to know they were being reckless. She's a pathological liar.

But when you won't concede she lied about the sniper attack, I guess denying that she lied here is nothing.

The FBI has concluded that she was extremely careless with the handling of sensitive information.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yes it shows she has a nose bigger than Pinocchio, and this is the person half of our country wants as POTUS

Old 07-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Now her camp is saying they may keep lynch as ag? If that's true, Hilary has tons of contempt for all of us. Is she that brazen?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
buckman

Quote:
Now her camp is saying they may keep lynch as ag? If that's true, Hilary has tons of contempt for all of us. Is she that brazen?
It's called a bribe .
If Hillary gets in she will nominate Obama and then Lynch for SCJ
Old 07-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #17
Nebe

Kind of like why 1st class passengers got the lifeboats on the titanic.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Kind of like why 1st class passengers got the lifeboats on the titanic.
Haha, funny but unfortunately in this case very true.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #19
Nebe

Lets face it. Hillary will defeat Trump in the election and we will have to live with 4 years at least of more divisive politics.. More polarization of a divided nation. Probably more war because Hillary is a Hawk... This makes me really pessimistic about our future.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #20
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Lets face it. Hillary will defeat Trump in the election and we will have to live with 4 years at least of more divisive politics.. More polarization of a divided nation. Probably more war because Hillary is a Hawk... This makes me really pessimistic about our future.
I'm afraid you are probably right .
Old 07-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

There you go again, John....using actual facts as a basis of your thoughts on an issue....don't you know you need to base it on Spence's feelings and understandings......or apples and oranges.....or whatever metaphor he wants to throw out there.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 07-06-2016 at 09:01 PM..
Old 07-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #22
JohnR

Interesting piece and well worth the read. Spence will call it spilled milk or something but he has a thing for felons in Armani Mao suits.

http://spectator.org/comeys-hanoi-confession/

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #23
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Interesting piece and well worth the read. Spence will call it spilled milk or something but he has a thing for felons in Armani Mao suits.

http://spectator.org/comeys-hanoi-confession/
Cmon, John.....obviously the writer was taking Comey's comments out of context.....

Apples and Oranges....

It's my understanding.....

You need to reread it.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #24
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Cmon, John.....obviously the writer was taking Comey's comments out of context.....

Apples and Oranges....

It's my understanding.....

You need to reread it.....
Perhaps the author didn't really pay attention to Comey's remarks? He clearly said you either needed intent or volume of which Clinton met neither...

Funny how the State Department has long said they should release all the emails so people can see the classified ones are much to do about nothing...
Old 07-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #25
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps the author didn't really pay attention to Comey's remarks? He clearly said you either needed intent or volume of which Clinton met neither...

Funny how the State Department has long said they should release all the emails so people can see the classified ones are much to do about nothing...
You mean these comments.....

"For example, seven e-mail chains concern matters that were classified at the Top Secret/Special Access Program level when they were sent and received. These chains involved Secretary Clinton both sending e-mails about those matters and receiving e-mails from others about the same matters. There is evidence to support a conclusion that any reasonable person in Secretary Clinton’s position, or in the position of those government employees with whom she was corresponding about these matters, should have known that an unclassified system was no place for that conversation. In addition to this highly sensitive information, we also found information that was properly classified as Secret by the U.S. Intelligence Community at the time it was discussed on e-mail (that is, excluding the later “up-classified” e-mails).

None of these e-mails should have been on any kind of unclassified system, but their presence is especially concerning because all of these e-mails were housed on unclassified personal servers not even supported by full-time security staff, like those found at Departments and Agencies of the U.S. Government—or even with a commercial service like Gmail.

Separately, it is important to say something about the marking of classified information. Only a very small number of the e-mails containing classified information bore markings indicating the presence of classified information. But even if information is not marked “classified” in an e-mail, participants who know or should know that the subject matter is classified are still obligated to protect it."

Don't know how you can spin this any other way..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #26
DZ

I think Comey has done a great job and was correct with his decision not to prosecute criminally. That said I was very surprised that he mentioned he could not use any of her under oath testimony to other government committees as evidence of contradiction in her statements. Hillary is not a current government employee so she is immune to any punishment but I'm thinking that administrative sanctions against any future employment will become the "new" issue. The fact that he called Hillary's actions reckless and careless will become a big issue should she win the presidency when it comes time for her renewed background check for security clearance. If she does gets a clearance then look for her to pardon Snowden.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #27
Slipknot
Super Moderator

John, I am sure he believes in his conclusion and stands behind his decision and recommendation.

Shouldn't he have been disqualified from this case for conflict of interest because he previously was involved in the Whitewater investigation?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #28
JohnR

Quote:
John, I am sure he believes in his conclusion and stands behind his decision and recommendation.

Shouldn't he have been disqualified from this case for conflict of interest because he previously was involved in the Whitewater investigation?
IMO - no. He probably has the most integrity of anyone in that room.

Here is the nuts and bolts of what I can see based on my hours of watching this. The FBI is not prosecuting Hillary for mishandling of classified documents because they cannot determine sufficiently that she had the INTENT of doing something malicious. For example, if they could prove she intentionally committed espionage, they could try her for espionage.

What he does indicate is that she did what she did and a current employee of any agency handling classified information, that department would have the obligation to investigate, determine, and produce judgement on her, such as reprimand, loss of security clearance, or firing.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #29
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
IMO - no. He probably has the most integrity of anyone in that room.
Good

What I see is him hanging his hat on the fact that only one case in 1917 was based on negligence and nothing as far as National Security scandal since. There seems to have been plenty of intent so I believe his conclusion is wrong and this is not over yet. The coverup, deleting, lying about it and general scheme shows intent to me plain as day.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #30
spence

Quote:
The coverup, deleting, lying about it and general scheme shows intent to me plain as day.
Even the FBI said the deleting appeared routing cleaning up of old emails. I'm not sure you can say she lied about things, she quite possibly didn't know.

That being said, I'd sum up Comey's position on intent as this...Clinton seemed to have reasonable explanations for most of the charges, that he couldn't find real evidence to prove mal intent.

I think for the FBI director, that people here seem to respect, would say directly he didn't think Clinton broke the law or lied to the FBI is significant.