Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Foil for lead flutter fish?

Ok...I got tired of paying $8 a piece for the JigSmith "tin" flutter/butterfly jigs and losing them to the ditch. I bought one of the Do-It molds for 4 ounce "flutter fish" which is pretty close and has great action. For those that don't know, it looks like a Shimano butterfly jig but is flatter.

Now the question. Since then, I've noticed a distinct difference between my paint job and the almost foil paint the factory jigs use. I've noticed the factory jobs have a 3-1 advantage to mine even the colors are pretty close. Action is pretty close so I'm thinking that foil type paint the factory uses might be the key.

I've tried using that tape type foil on mine but it just comes off. I think it's too thick. Does anyone have any experience with using a silver leaf on anything? I figured I could spray glue the jig and then use the leaf but leave it wrinkled to look like scales.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Bob it's done with hot foil stamping. Can be done for a few at home by heating the part then squishing the hot foil onto the piece with a hard rubber pad.

Look on ebay for hot foil stamping stuff.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

HOT STAMP STAMPING FOIL KINGSLEY HOWARD 6 ASST COLORS | eBay

That's the foil right there. Research the right temps etc. The urethane rubber can be found at Mcmaster.com or you can pour a custom one at home also that will take the heat and be firm. There doesn't look like there much on there so maybe google it to find some better colors and holo patterns. There's thousands. It's foil...much thinner than the paper/adhesive stuff.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
jlnel

nice!
jlnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Thanks, Buggah. I might have to try that although I can see a hospital trip in there somewhere.

Any idea if the craft stores carry that stuff or is it too much of a "specialty" item?

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote