Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-31-2023, 10:33 AM   #61
PaulS

So why do the majority of the stats show that the states historically run by D admins. rank higher than the majority of the states run by R admins? Just a coincidence or is it a philosophy the 2 parties have? Studies based on 350M people is a pretty credible group and the stats show the Ds states rank better than the R states.

Last edited by PaulS; 01-31-2023 at 10:54 AM..
Old 01-31-2023, 12:14 PM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So why do the majority of the stats show that the states historically run by D admins. rank higher than the majority of the states run by R admins? Just a coincidence or is it a philosophy the 2 parties have? Studies based on 350M people is a pretty credible group and the stats show the Ds states rank better than the R states.
This has been asked and answered many times. Democrats, on average, are wealthier than Republicans. That's correlation, not causation. There's nothing in conservative ideology that leads to poverty. But todays brand of liberalism is more attractive to people who are already wealthy, than todays brand of conservatism.

This is another example of "everything is OK when democrats do it", because not long ago Wall Street leaned right, and liberals never stopped attacking the GOP for catering to the super rich. Today the rich lean left, and - voila! - all of a sudden it's not a bad thing when your side caters to the wealthy.

You asked, I tried to answer. Is there any chance you can show me the same courtesy? What services to I get from the state of CT thanks to my taxes, which I would lose if I moved to NH thanks to their not having state taxes?

If I moved to NH, I'd still work hard, I'd still like to read, I'd still watch my kids like a hawk and make sure they were doing their homework, I'd make sure I limited their screen time and got them into healthy activities. I'd still exercise and eat right. The state government of NH would not force me to give up my healthy habits.

It's got nothing to do with the state government. In my case, I'd have a ton more money to spend on my kids, better private schools, nicer vacations together, I could afford better colleges for them.

Paul, it's probably at least $15k a year in my pocket (more like 20k a year now that my wife is working) that I'd save. I don't get anywhere near that from the state of CT that I wouldn't get in a nice suburb of NH.

Please tell me what I'm getting for that money, that I wouldn't get in NH. Hundreds of thousands of dollars over an entire career. And what do I get for it? A bill that the state of CT will hand me, for promises they made on my behalf to labor unions, which couldn't be funded even with the stupid taxes we currently pay. That's what I'll get. UCONN is very expensive (cheaper to pay out of state for public university in FL, and that is fact), our roads suck, our cities suck, our electric bills just went up 50% if you have Eversource, gas is expensive, we pay local car taxes annually that moost states don't charge...it goes on and on and on.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:09 PM   #63
wdmso

A US court in Texas has struck down a 30-year-old law that barred people under domestic violence restraining orders from owning guns.
The court, as part of the ruling, dismissed charges against a Texas man found guilty of harassing and stalking his girlfriend and also in possession of arms despite a ban.
The decision follows a Supreme Court ruling in June expanding gun rights.
The US justice department is expected to appeal against the order.
Attorney General Merrick Garland said that Congress had determined the law "nearly 30 years ago".

Red states once again putting gun owners before victims and common sense
Old 02-04-2023, 08:40 AM   #64
wdmso

GOP Rep. Clyde hands out assault-rifle lapel pins to House colleagues

Yep another example where changing the Gun culture has failed
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-04-2023, 08:44 AM   #65
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
GOP Rep. Clyde hands out assault-rifle lapel pins to House colleagues

Yep another example where changing the Gun culture has failed
It really has been a cultural change. Read Ryan Busse’s book Gunfight. He was a gun manufacturer ceo who has an interesting perspective in the change to the ‘couch commandoes’ types in the last few years.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-04-2023, 09:01 AM   #66
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
It really has been a cultural change. Read Ryan Busse’s book Gunfight. He was a gun manufacturer ceo who has an interesting perspective in the change to the ‘couch commandoes’ types in the last few years.
couch commandoes’

I like that term. I love to see these people when the decide to get off the couch then they play Dress up for effect
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77962C05-FFBA-47CC-A018-206BA0B46EEF.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	575.6 KB
ID:	69544  
Old 02-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #67
wdmso

Another example how simplistic originalism endanger Americans

Zackey Rahimi was, one presumes, not the kind of upstanding citizen the justices had in mind.
Over a six-week stretch from December 2020 to January 2021, Rahimi took part in five shootings around Arlington, Tex. He fired an AR-15 into the home of a man to whom he had sold Percocet. The next day, after a car accident, he pulled out a handgun, shot at the other driver and sped off — only to return, fire a different gun and flee again. Rahimi shot at a police car. When a friend’s credit card was declined at a fast-food restaurant, he fired several rounds into the air.

Or, as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit put it in vacating Rahimi’s conviction for illegal gun possession, “Rahimi, while hardly a model citizen, is nonetheless part of the political community entitled to the Second Amendment’s guarantees, all other things equal.”

So now we’re back to assessing the constitutionality of laws. Only if you can find the hunt down obscure, colonial-era statutes to determine if there are counterparts to modern rules

Makes no sense
Old 02-04-2023, 05:28 PM   #68
wdmso

George Washington NEVER said or wrote any of the following quotes cited by gun nuts, Republicans and even judges:

1. When government takes away citizens’ right to bear arms it becomes citizens’ duty to take away government’s right to govern.”

The quote seems to originate from an online publication: The American Wisdom Series presents Pamphlet #230, "President George Washington's Thoughts on Firearms." The author provides no citation for the quotations used.

The library has yet to find an explanation for this misquote or a similar quote of Washington's that was confused for this statement.

2. “When a nation mistrusts its citizens with guns it is it sending a clear message. It no longer trusts its citizens because such a government has evil plans.”

The library has yet to find an explanation for this misquote or a similar quote of Washington's that was confused for this statement.

3. “Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty, teeth and keystone under independence.”

This quotation does not show up in any of Washington's writings, nor does any closely related quote.

4. “A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”

This quote is partially accurate as the beginning section is taken from Washington's First Annual Message to Congress on the State of the Union. However, the quote is then manipulated into a differing context and the remaining text is inaccurate. Here is the actual text from Washington's speech:

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."

Source:
https://www.mountvernon.org/library/...us-quotations/

Not my research on the topic but a great example of how those who cite and support originalism . Quote things that were never said and make their own interpretations to someone written words

Last edited by wdmso; 02-04-2023 at 05:38 PM..
Old 02-06-2023, 12:17 PM   #69
Jim in CT

Quote:
George Washington NEVER said or wrote any of the following quotes cited by gun nuts, Republicans and even judges:

1. When government takes away citizens’ right to bear arms it becomes citizens’ duty to take away government’s right to govern.”

The quote seems to originate from an online publication: The American Wisdom Series presents Pamphlet #230, "President George Washington's Thoughts on Firearms." The author provides no citation for the quotations used.

2. “When a nation mistrusts its citizens with guns it is it sending a clear message. It no longer trusts its citizens because such a government has evil plans.”

3. “Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty, teeth and keystone under independence.”

This quotation does not show up in any of Washington's writings, nor does any closely related quote.

4. “A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”

This quote is partially accurate as the beginning section is taken from Washington's First Annual Message to Congress on the State of the Union. However, the quote is then manipulated into a differing context and the remaining text is inaccurate. Here is the actual text from Washington's speech:

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."

Source:
https://www.mountvernon.org/library/...us-quotations/

Not my research on the topic but a great example of how those who cite and support originalism . Quote things that were never said and make their own interpretations to someone written words
FFS, if you’re going to bash “originalism”, maybe you should have some small clue what it is. Originalists rely on the original text of the constitution. has any influential originalist, ever, made a constitutional argument because they saw on the internet that george washington said something? that’s all that conservatives ever rely on?

jesus god almighty man. try a little harder. where do you get this garbage?
Old 02-06-2023, 12:53 PM   #70
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
FFS, if you’re going to bash “originalism”, maybe you should have some small clue what it is. Originalists rely on the original text of the constitution. has any influential originalist, ever, made a constitutional argument because they saw on the internet that george washington said something? that’s all that conservatives ever rely on?

Apparently the same place as you.
You need look no further than Alito’s opinion overturning Roe where he cited opinions of four British judges as the basis for his argument.

“ of the standard the Court has applied in determining whether an asserted right that is nowhere mentioned in the Constitution is never- theless protected by the Fourteenth Amendment. The Solicitor Gen- eral repeats Roe’s claim that it is “doubtful . . . abortion was ever firmly established as a common-law crime even with respect to the destruc- tion of a quick fetus,” 410 U. S., at 136, but the great common-law au- thorities—Bracton, Coke, Hale, and Blackstone—all wrote that a post- quickening abortion was a crime.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-06-2023, 01:05 PM   #71
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
You need look no further than Alito’s opinion overturning Roe where he cited opinions of four British judges as the basis for his argument.

“ of the standard the Court has applied in determining whether an asserted right that is nowhere mentioned in the Constitution is never- theless protected by the Fourteenth Amendment. The Solicitor Gen- eral repeats Roe’s claim that it is “doubtful . . . abortion was ever firmly established as a common-law crime even with respect to the destruc- tion of a quick fetus,” 410 U. S., at 136, but the great common-law au- thorities—Bracton, Coke, Hale, and Blackstone—all wrote that a post- quickening abortion was a crime.
it’s stupid to reference british judges. all he had to do is say “the idea that protection against illegal search and seizure was designed to allow for infanticide, is stupid, and obviously not what’s in the constitution.”.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:10 PM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

although he was apparently responding to a comment from the solicitor general. doesn’t matter if abortion is a crime or not, that’s not what the supreme court decided. overturning roe did not make abortion illegal. it returned the question to the states where it belongs. The supreme court didn’t say that states cannot outlaw abortion. your side doesn’t seem to grasp that. the supreme court decided, correctly, that it’s not a federal issue. The constitution specifies the things that are federal issues, and says everything else goes to the states.

At the state level, have the argument about whether or not it should be legal.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:17 PM   #73
wdmso

Quote:

Jim you complete missed the point of the article. These quotes that never existed were used by Originalist to defend their views on Gun ownership and the 2A ..

And to use an originalist logic against them the 2nd amendment applies to Muskets seeing when it was written.. but of course they play linguists gymnastics to twist out of their own claim it’s about the original Text
Old 02-06-2023, 04:00 PM   #74
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim you complete missed the point of the article. These quotes that never existed were used by Originalist to defend their views on Gun ownership and the 2A ..

And to use an originalist logic against them the 2nd amendment applies to Muskets seeing when it was written.. but of course they play linguists gymnastics to twist out of their own claim it’s about the original Text
who used those fake quotes?

No i didn’t miss the point of your post, which was to attack the gop for using bogus facts to win a political argument. my point, is that you don’t care when democrats say the police killed michael brown when he said hands up don’t shoot which he never said, you don’t care when your side says pro lifers motive is to
enslave women, when they said rittenhouse carried the rifle illegally across state lines. etc…. you have no principles. zip.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:12 PM   #75
detbuch

Quote:
The 2A does not mention or specify muskets. An originalist would not interpret that the Constitution is stuck on muskets. That would not be originalist logic.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:49 PM   #76
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
The 2A does not mention or specify muskets. An originalist would not interpret that the Constitution is stuck on muskets. That would not be originalist logic.
Then their not very original are they
Old 02-06-2023, 08:54 PM   #77
detbuch

Quote:
They interpret on the words in the Constitution as they were defined when the Constitution was written.

Are you saying that they should interpret on words that are not in the Constitution? That would be Progressive, not original.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:33 AM   #78
Jim in CT

Quote:
originalists stuck to the actual original language wayne. show us where in the 2a, it says anything about muskets, and then you have a point. Until you can do that, you have no point and you’re embarrassing yourself.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:36 AM   #79
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

This subject has been debated a number of times, pulling a well armed militia together back then was easy, every home likely had the same arms in order to join a potential fight with the British, who had the same arms.

Since armament used by foreign powers has changed, should all citizens be allowed access to military grade weapons to join the militia, which likely will never be required, unless you have been binge watching Red Dawn while reloading shells. Might happen in Ukraine, but any conflict coming our way is coming from the air, or maybe we sane people need to arm ourselves better to protect ourselves from the increasing threats from the far right. Case in point the rise in power grid attacks or the daily mass shooting happening anywhere.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:46 AM   #80
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
This subject has been debated a number of times, pulling a well armed militia together back then was easy, every home likely had the same arms in order to join a potential fight with the British, who had the same arms.

Since armament used by foreign powers has changed, should all citizens be allowed access to military grade weapons to join the militia, which likely will never be required, unless you have been binge watching Red Dawn while reloading shells. Might happen in Ukraine, but any conflict coming our way is coming from the air, or maybe we sane people need to arm ourselves better to protect ourselves from the increasing threats from the far right. Case in point the rise in power grid attacks or the daily mass shooting happening anywhere.
i’m not making a conservative argument about gun rights. i’m making an argument about what an originalists is, and what an originalist isn’t.

I’d like to see more restrictions, but we probably need to amend the constitution first. that’s our system. If democrats can get to ignore parts of the constitution they don’t like when they’re in power, then republicans can do the same thing when they’re in power. That’s too much power. Safer if everybody is subject to the same
exact limitations.

here’s a question, how come when you mention gun violence you always limit your opinion to mass shootings, when those account for a small percentage of gun deaths? why is all the talk about assault rifles, when those are involved in a tiny fraction of gun deaths? why don’t we prioritize the issue that claims so many more lives? handgun violence in the cities, and now fentanyl deaths, are a much much bigger problem. Yet The left never, ever mentions them.

i’m pretty sure i know what the answer is. but i’m curious to know what you’d claim the answer to be.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:56 AM   #81
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
i’m not making a conservative argument about gun rights. i’m making an argument about what an originalists is, and what an originalist isn’t.

I’d like to see more restrictions, but we probably need to amend the constitution first. that’s our system. If democrats can get to ignore parts of the constitution they don’t like when they’re in power, then republicans can do the same thing when they’re in power. That’s too much power. Safer if everybody is subject to the same
exact limitations.

here’s a question, how come when you mention gun violence you always limit your opinion to mass shootings, when those account for a small percentage of gun deaths? why is all the talk about assault rifles, when those are involved in a tiny fraction of gun deaths? why don’t we prioritize the issue that claims so many more lives? handgun violence in the cities, and now fentanyl deaths, are a much much bigger problem. Yet The left never, ever mentions them.

i’m pretty sure i know what the answer is. but i’m curious to know what you’d claim the answer to be.
Maybe Jim you would agree the average every day gun death by a single gun isn’t likely putting the average American at risk, unless your living in a high crime area or behind the counter at the local liquor store or 7/11. What now is a threat to the average citizen or their children IS a mass shooting at a school, a mall, your local Walmart or some far right nuts taking out your entire cities powe grid.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:12 AM   #82
Jim in CT

Quote:
Maybe Jim you would agree the average every day gun death by a single gun isn’t likely putting the average American at risk, unless your living in a high crime area or behind the counter at the local liquor store or 7/11. What now is a threat to the average citizen or their children IS a mass shooting at a school, a mall, your local Walmart or some far right nuts taking out your entire cities powe grid.
so you’re not concerned about the carnage taking place in “high crime areas”?

bob, WAY more people are killed by handguns and fentanyl, than are killed by rifles. it’s not even close. we should address all those problems obviously, but basic common sense says you prioritize the ones that are doing the most damage. isn’t that common sense?

sounds like you’re saying those people living in high crime areas are more expendable than the far smaller number of middle class white kids who are endangered by mass shootings with assault rifles

you came very close to saying that explicitly. liberals don’t often say the quiet part out loud.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:15 AM   #83
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe Jim you would agree the average every day gun death by a single gun isn’t likely putting the average American at risk, unless your living in a high crime area or behind the counter at the local liquor store or 7/11.
Wow, So the people getting shot every day aren’t your “Average Americans”?

Sounds like somebody’s White Privilege is showing

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-07-2023, 08:22 AM   #84
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Wow, So the people getting shot every day aren’t your “Average Americans”?

Sounds like somebody’s White Privilege is showing
Posted it in a way JIM would understand, I'm pretty sure even you and JIm got my meaning, using most americans would have come across meaning the same thing. You guys and this is true of both sides, like to spin something into something that wasn't said, Jim wanted to know why I only talk about mass shootings and I explained, it's because I'm not and most living outside crime areas or inner cities, aren't at risk from the long handgun shooter.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 02-07-2023 at 08:46 AM..
Old 02-07-2023, 09:23 AM   #85
wdmso

Quote:
originalists stuck to the actual original language wayne. show us where in the 2a, it says anything about muskets, and then you have a point. Until you can do that, you have no point and you’re embarrassing yourself.
Well armed militia Jim what weapons were around ?.. we’re the a muskets or B Ar 15s.

Like I said linguistic, gymnastics.. the constitution doesn’t say a lot things originalist claim it does. But they claim it any how
Old 02-07-2023, 09:33 AM   #86
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
They interpret on the words in the Constitution as they were defined when the Constitution was written.

Are you saying that they should interpret on words that are not in the Constitution? That would be Progressive, not original.
Since Originalism was invented in the 1980s, a few hundred years after the Constitution, I’ll call it a conservative fad.

Here’s how it’s used:

What happens in “originalist” judicial decisions has nothing to do with history. Instead, “originalism” is used as a way to shut down opposing arguments. To sum it up, that method has six steps:

1. Find some old legal cases or other sources that can be quoted, even if sharply edited first, to favor a conservative policy outcome of a constitutional dispute.

2. Proclaim this policy outcome as the “original public meaning” of the constitutional provision at issue.

3. Exclude as much contrary evidence (including existing judicial precedent) as possible.

4. Announce that none of the remaining evidence disproves your side’s preferred policy outcome.

5. Enshrine your preferred policy outcome in constitutional doctrine.

6. (optional) If courtesy calls for it, apologize for the harshness of the result, but note that you bear no responsibility. Our Founders decided it long, long ago, and you are simply their humble scribe.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-07-2023, 09:56 AM   #87
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
so you’re not concerned about the carnage taking place in “high crime areas”?

bob, WAY more people are killed by handguns and fentanyl, than are killed by rifles. it’s not even close. we should address all those problems obviously, but basic common sense says you prioritize the ones that are doing the most damage. isn’t that common sense?

sounds like you’re saying those people living in high crime areas are more expendable than the far smaller number of middle class white kids who are endangered by mass shootings with assault rifles

you came very close to saying that explicitly. liberals don’t often say the quiet part out loud.
I wasn't addressing gun deaths, I was responding to DeBarr's post about the meaning of the right to arm citizens to form a militia, I'm not debating the quantity of gun deaths', but you do like to change subjects to get a greatest hits posted, even bringing drug deaths' into it also. Stay on point Jim.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:47 AM   #88
Jim in CT

Quote:
Posted it in a way JIM would understand, I'm pretty sure even you and JIm got my meaning, using most americans would have come across meaning the same thing. You guys and this is true of both sides, like to spin something into something that wasn't said, Jim wanted to know why I only talk about mass shootings and I explained, it's because I'm not and most living outside crime areas or inner cities, aren't at risk from the long handgun shooter.
there’s no spin. your side is willing to ignore a huge number of mostly black deaths in cities from handguns, and focuses on the much less deadly ( though still important ) issue of mass shootings with assault rifles. you’re willing to sweep all those dead, poor, black americans under the rug, because talking about that issue doesn’t help democrats win elections
Old 02-07-2023, 11:48 AM   #89
Jim in CT

Quote:
Well armed militia Jim what weapons were around ?.. we’re the a muskets or B Ar 15s.

Like I said linguistic, gymnastics.. the constitution doesn’t say a lot things originalist claim it does. But they claim it any how
what’s the language? originalists, by definition, stick to what they wrote

once you start making assumptions about “what they really meant”, which is exactly what you’re doing, then it’s no longer originalism.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:50 AM   #90
Jim in CT

Quote:
I wasn't addressing gun deaths, I was responding to DeBarr's post about the meaning of the right to arm citizens to form a militia, I'm not debating the quantity of gun deaths', but you do like to change subjects to get a greatest hits posted, even bringing drug deaths' into it also. Stay on point Jim.
but when you do post about gun violence, it’s always about mass showings and assault rifles. which is nothing compared to the carnage caused by handguns in cities by people who, i guess, deserve what they get because they live in high crime areas.

when you do choose to post about guns, you always go to “mass shootings”. why?