Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-22-2023, 08:47 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Record Year?

We could be on pace to set a new yearly mass shootings record, with the 33rd mass shooting already, but let’s focus on record numbers moving to FL (we get it Jim give it a rest), school curriculum which IMHO shouldn’t be dictated by state governors, coed bathrooms oh the physiological damage (pretty sure online gaming and social media do so much more damage) and of course but but Hillary and Hunter they are so much more important to keeping Americans safe.

This latest also has the makings of a hate crime based on where it happened, no shortage of hate in this country at present, glad I’m at the tail end of my life, I’m not sure I’d want to be around for the next 2-3 decades.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:02 AM   #2
wdmso

"An armed society is a polite society."

Wayne LaPierre
President, NRA

Availability is the real problem .. so much so you had a 6 year old shot a teacher and toddler in a diaper on a ring camera armed and dangerous
Family of 7 murdered by dad in Utah

Yet. From the GOP. There’s No gun problem in America

8/2021. The U.K. Had its First Mass Shooting in a Decade. The U.S. Has Had Over 3,000 Since Then

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by wdmso; 01-22-2023 at 09:09 AM..
Old 01-22-2023, 09:05 AM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The evil empire the "Liberals" are coming for your guns.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:12 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
We could be on pace to set a new yearly mass shootings record, with the 33rd mass shooting already, but let’s focus on record numbers moving to FL (we get it Jim give it a rest), school curriculum which IMHO shouldn’t be dictated by state governors, coed bathrooms oh the physiological damage (pretty sure online gaming and social media do so much more damage) and of course but but Hillary and Hunter they are so much more important to keeping Americans safe.

This latest also has the makings of a hate crime based on where it happened, no shortage of hate in this country at present, glad I’m at the tail end of my life, I’m not sure I’d want to be around for the next 2-3 decades.
i’ve said 1,000 ones we need gun control. we need to look at bump
stick band, maybe red flag laws, i’m open to
anything that actually might work. we tried an assault weapons ban that didn’t work.

but let me ask you, what percentage of gin deaths come
from the mass shootings? It’s a very very small
percentage. So if you want to help
people, why do liberals fixate on a tiny percentage of homicides?

answer - it’s a winning issue for them
politically. Many many more
people are killed in garden variety hand violence, but liberals can’t capitalize on that issue, so they ignore it.

same with fentanyl deaths, which are around 50,000
in 2022? not a peep.

i don’t focus on florida numbers. i use it to respond to giu idiots who say it’s a horribly run state.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:09 PM   #5
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Number 34 already, wait a day and there likely will be another.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:18 AM   #6
Nebe

i blame it all on the cost of living. Things started going to #^&#^&#^&#^& when it took 2 parents working 2 full time jobs to support a family. Before this happened and 1 parent would be the stay at home parent, children were given the love and support needed to become a functioning adult.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:16 AM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
i blame it all on the cost of living. Things started going to #^&#^&#^&#^& when it took 2 parents working 2 full time jobs to support a family. Before this happened and 1 parent would be the stay at home parent, children were given the love and support needed to become a functioning adult.
There is a lot to be said on that point, kids with two parents working just don’t have the structure, guidance, rules, work ethic, civility, discipline, honesty, the list of what is lacking just by observing the youth of today out and about is disturbing.

Guns are also just to available, US is a special kind of place, but at the same time a dangerous place in certain communities, celebrations and gathering places. Growing up my parents never locked our doors during the day, we all came and went without giving security a second thought.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:46 AM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i’ve said 1,000 ones we need gun control. we need to look at bump
stick band, maybe red flag laws, i’m open to
anything that actually might work. we tried an assault weapons ban that didn’t work.

but let me ask you, what percentage of gin deaths come
from the mass shootings? It’s a very very small
percentage. So if you want to help
people, why do liberals fixate on a tiny percentage of homicides?

answer - it’s a winning issue for them
politically. Many many more
people are killed in garden variety hand violence, but liberals can’t capitalize on that issue, so they ignore it.

same with fentanyl deaths, which are around 50,000
in 2022? not a peep.

i don’t focus on florida numbers. i use it to respond to giu idiots who say it’s a horribly run state.
As usual you make stupid stuff up

The CDC found that the four states with the highest age-adjusted drug overdose death rates in 2015 were West Virginia (41.5 per 100,000 residents), New Hampshire (34.3), Kentucky (29.9), and Ohio (29.9).

Per 2016 presidential election results, 68.7 percent of West Virginia voters cast a ballot for Donald Trump. On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being a crisis), West Virginians ranked the drug problem in their state as a 4.7.

Respondents from Kentucky ranked their state as a 4.3, and citizens from Ohio ranked their state’s drug abuse problem as a 4.1. During the 2016 presidential election, all three states voted majority for Donald Trump. In comparison to his opponent, Hillary Clinton, Trump’s campaign had little to no platform for drug policies and spending.

It didn’t change in 2020

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-23-2023, 12:52 PM   #9
Nebe

Quote:
There is a lot to be said on that point, kids with two parents working just don’t have the structure, guidance, rules, work ethic, civility, discipline, honesty, the list of what is lacking just by observing the youth of today out and about is disturbing.

Guns are also just to available, US is a special kind of place, but at the same time a dangerous place in certain communities, celebrations and gathering places. Growing up my parents never locked our doors during the day, we all came and went without giving security a second thought.
Yep. and then you give the kids an XBox loaded with first person shooter games and let them watch violent movies like John Wick and the seed will start to germinate. Of course all seeds dont grow into a tree, so lets say one kid in a few million go down the road of confusing fantasy with reality. I am not Pro gun, nor am I anti Gun.. But I sure am Pro-mental health. Sometimes the knee jerk reaction is a 2 dimensional solution where you should really be looking at things in a broader spectrum. Would we Ban fishing poles if there was a mass poaching event? No we would look at the underlying issues of why its happening.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:23 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
you will never say anything i agree with, more then this. I know plenty of kids who spent 45 hours a week in daycare who turned out fantastic, and obviously there are lousy stay-at-home parents, nothing is guaranteed. But we allowed the needle to move away from what is the healthiest way for most kids to grow up. I don’t think one in ten of my kids’ friends, had a stay at home parent full time.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:27 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
The evil empire the "Liberals" are coming for your guns.
they’re coming for family values, which are one way to prevent these things.

i don’t know especially like guns, but they’re an inanimate object. the bigger problem
is us.

What would you do about availability? what would you do with the guns currently out there, that’s within the constitution?

Lots of bad records being broken.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:31 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Would we Ban fishing poles if there was a mass poaching event? No we would look at the underlying issues of why its happening.
exactly.

it’s guns, it’s our sick and broken culture, it’s what we bombard our kids with ( movies and video games), it’s lack of good dads, lack of faith, lack of love

The two sides focus only on what’s politicallly convenient to them, and nothing improves.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:36 PM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Wealth moving to the top only makes this situation worse, that too is part of the problem, living expenses for a family today almost require two paychecks unless your in the top percentage.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:49 PM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Wealth moving to the top only makes this situation worse, that too is part of the problem, living expenses for a family today almost require two paychecks unless your in the top percentage.

bob, what would you do to stop wealth from moving to the top? pass a law that makes it illegal to work or invest after someone makes a certain amount of money?

the people at “the top” are mostly liberals. take it up with Biden.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:55 PM   #15
PaulS

Quote:
Yup, prob. need another tax cut for the wealthy and corps. so the rest of us can get drizzled upon.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:13 PM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Yup, prob. need another tax cut for the wealthy and corps. so the rest of us can get drizzled upon.
No sh*t, Jim always asks the easiest questions to answer and when you do (dozens of times) he never accepts the answer. A dozen posts later he will come back with his favorite, why is it none of you can answer my question I’ll wait.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:29 PM   #17
Nebe

Quote:
exactly.

it’s guns, it’s our sick and broken culture, it’s what we bombard our kids with ( movies and video games), it’s lack of good dads, lack of faith, lack of love

The two sides focus only on what’s politicallly convenient to them, and nothing improves.
What i wonder is if we are all force fed anti and pro gun propaganda after shootings to distract us from addressing the root of the problem. The capitalist flywheels must keep turning and maybe the truth would slow that down.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:27 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
No sh*t, Jim always asks the easiest questions to answer and when you do (dozens of times) he never accepts the answer. A dozen posts later he will come back with his favorite, why is it none of you can answer my question I’ll wait.
You and wayne, crying that the wealthy is taking something from the test of us.

How would you stop the wealth gap from increasing? Are you saying you answered that dozens of times? Try zero.

We tried an assault weapons ban. We tried it. It didn't do anything. SO what's your idea?
Old 01-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
What i wonder is if we are all force fed anti and pro gun propaganda after shootings to distract us from addressing the root of the problem. The capitalist flywheels must keep turning and maybe the truth would slow that down.
Each side knows what script to read from when bad things happen. 99% of it is BS. The right refuses to discuss the role guns play, the left refuses to discuss the role that cultural decay plays.

All of us, both sides, need to re-think what kind of politicians we want representing us.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:43 PM   #20
Nebe

Quote:
Each side knows what script to read from when bad things happen. 99% of it is BS. The right refuses to discuss the role guns play, the left refuses to discuss the role that cultural decay plays.

All of us, both sides, need to re-think what kind of politicians we want representing us.
And yet I am sure there are millions of people who are cheering for Santos right now.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:54 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Yup. No democrat has ever been caught lying to get elected. Tell that to Senator Blumenthal.
Ahh, hit #11

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-23-2023, 04:11 PM   #22
PaulS

Smile

Quote:
Yup. No democrat has ever been caught lying to get elected. Tell that to Senator Blumenthal.
Somehow embellishing 2x and apologizing is the same as inventing a whole new person, possible election (finance) fraud, check fraud in Brazil, etc, etc.

You may not know this (even though you have been told before), Blumenthal was already attorney gen. and did serve and the stolen valor act would have never applied to him. Seems like this bothers you more than than Reagan's claim that his U.S. Army unit helped liberate the Nazi concentration camps, even though Reagan spent his service making war movies in Hollywood.

Last edited by PaulS; 01-23-2023 at 04:23 PM..
Old 01-23-2023, 05:46 PM   #23
wdmso

Quote:

How would you stop the wealth gap from increasing? Are you saying you answered that dozens of times? Try zero.

We tried an assault weapons ban. We tried it. It didn't do anything. SO what's your idea?

Former President Donald Trump increased the estate and gift tax exemptions to $11.7 million for individuals and $23.4 million for married couples through the Republicans' 2017 tax overhaul. However, those provisions will sunset after 2025, slashing the thresholds down to about $6 million and $12 million, respectively.

Yep Trump doubled the estate and gift tax.

But if you get lucky in the lottery of life and land an inheritance, you owe no federal tax. That isn’t fair, is it? Extending the federal income tax to include inheritances would end that inequity.

Nearly unencumbered transfers of wealth permitted under current law perpetuate those imbalances, creating dynasties of the rich and hampering economic and social mobility.

As recently as 1976 the estate tax applied to more than 7 percent of all descendants at a top rate of 70 percent. In 2019, however, just 0.07 percent of all descendants will owe any estate tax, a 99 percent decrease. Successive increases in the estate tax exemption over the last political generation have let all but the wealthiest — and those who neglect to consult lawyers and accountants — escape estate tax almost entirely.

The latest increase in the estate tax exemption came in the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. It doubled the already generous estate tax exemption from $11.4 million to $22.8 million for couples, a limit that, as under prior law, will rise with inflation. Congress hid much of the long-term revenue loss from the 2017 law by scheduling many provisions, including the estate tax exemption increase, to expire in 2026. It is a good bet, however, that before 2026 rolls around Congress will make the exemption increase permanent.

That’s how the wealth gap increases
Old 01-23-2023, 06:26 PM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Clinton had a ban on Assault weapons.
It was never ruled unconstitutional.

In 2004 Bush let it lapse and mass shootings went up 239%.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out guns are our problem.

As far as wealth gap and redistribution, let’s just make it so small business is more attractive than corporatism.
As I’ve said many times, I’ve seen the change in the American middle class from locally owned to big corporations.
The money is vacuumed out of communities and almost nothing is returned.
Tell me the great advantage of corporatism.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-23-2023, 06:33 PM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

The shooter in California allegedly used a Cobray M11 9mm semi-automatic weapon, which allows a killer to fire 30-round magazines in rapid succession.

The weapon is illegal in nearly every developed country except the United States.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:20 PM   #26
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

As far as wealth gap and redistribution, let’s just make it so small business is more attractive than corporatism.
As I’ve said many times, I’ve seen the change in the American middle class from locally owned to big corporations.
What do you mean nothing is returned, weren’t those big tax breaks going to result in trickle down good for all. Jim will explain it to you hold on.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:42 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:

i never said it was unconstitutional. hearing voices again. I said it didn’t work. so they let it expire.

Any prospective gun ban that doesn’t take away the existing inventory of guns out there, can’t possibly have any practical effect.there are hundreds of millions of guns out there.

Go get a refill of your schizophrenia meds. might help with those voices that torment you.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:48 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
What do you mean nothing is returned, weren’t those big tax breaks going to result in trickle down good for all. Jim will explain it to you hold on.
middle moss
got sold out when manufacturing went to
china, you get no argument from me there.

For all its flaws, our capitalism has lifted way more people out of poverty than any other system on the planet. if that’s wrong, please correct me, and tell us which system
provides more economic upward mobility?

all of you guys, long on insults, very short of facts and solutions.

f liberalism is the answer to welcome inequality, one world think that the bluest states would have tackled income
inequality. I live in the deep blue state of CT, which is nora to ally ground zero for i come inequality. Avon next to Hartford. Bridgeport next to Fairfield?

and the biggest corporations now give most money to democrats. so who’s in bed with them?
Old 01-23-2023, 07:53 PM   #29
Jim in CT

in 2020, rifles accounted for 3% of US gun deaths.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...hs-in-the-u-s/

but it’s all your side focuses on, because even though it’s not practically sig utica t, it fires up your base. Too bad the deaths of poor bock
kids in chicago, killed with handguns in garden variety gang violence, doesn’t help democrats win elections.

defund the police!
Old 01-23-2023, 08:01 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:

the sunset provision in the federal assault weapons ban, said that congress could extend it. congress chose not to.

Naturally you blame Bush.

pete, why not stop lying?

obama had a fillibuster proof
majority of democrats in his first senate for a time. and he didn’t do anything on the issue.

But those sadistic republicans.