Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-15-2023, 08:10 PM   #1
detbuch

Russia Had Zero Influence On Election Admits Washington Post

Old 01-15-2023, 11:00 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Silly bot
Dept of Justice found that Russia “interfered in the 2016 presidential election in sweeping and systematic fashion,” including using social media. DOJ has access to classified info. Musk and Taibbi do not.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-15-2023, 11:03 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump’s campaign manager admitted to colluding with the Russians.

Trump himself asked Russia to hack Hillary.

GOP operative convicted in scheme to funnel Russian money into Trump campaign

Shawna Chen
A former senior aide to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) was convicted Thursday after being found guilty of helping to funnel illegal foreign campaign contributions from a Russian national into former President Trump's 2016 campaign.

Old 01-15-2023, 11:06 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Robert Mueller indicted 15 Russian 'companies' which his investigation found had meddled in the 2016 US presidential election. The Russians were assisted by Paul Manafort, who was paid $0 by Donald Trump to be his campaign manager. Manafort was obviously paid, but not by Trump!
Old 01-15-2023, 11:11 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump signed the Trump Tower Moscow memo in 2015, then lied about it for four years ("I have no business with Russia). He was working for Putin the entire time. We learned about this memo in 2019.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:15 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

Russiagate wasn't about whether russian bots swung the election for Trump.

It was about whether the Trump camp was offered and accepted help more broadly from russia. The short answer to which is that they were and they did. This isn't speculation, it's proven fact.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:29 AM   #7
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

It was about whether the Trump camp was offered and accepted help more broadly from russia. The short answer to which is that they were and they did. This isn't speculation, it's proven fact.
What was it about the video, exactly, that was wrong?
Old 01-16-2023, 05:52 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Nothing. Which is why he felt the need to change the subject.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:22 AM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Russia had far more than zero influence on the election and the Republican Party in general

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-16-2023, 08:43 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Russia had far more than zero influence on the election and the Republican Party in general
those totalitarian, commie republicans. They always want a huge federal government dictating every aspect of our lives.

you use lead paint in your house? that would
explain a LOT.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:19 AM   #11
wdmso

This falls right into Jim’s and others pattern of Logic

since the Russian influence and attempted interference didn’t change how people voted , or change the outcome of the election It didn’t happen

Just like Jan6th. Because it didn’t succeed in overturning the election
It didn’t happen …. so it didn’t matter

Just like Santos lies. because others have lied . It doesn’t matter

that’s their party’s platform until it’s about a Democratic

I heard Jams Comer claim the had no interest in looking into Trumps 300 plus documents case ! But now he’s issues Subpoenas
While making the claim Trumpand Biden have not been treated equally
Of course went on attacking the national archives the fbi and the justice department …

To cowardly and dishonest to admit the 2 issues take completely different paths after the discovery of the documents they should be treated equally

And yet Jim and detbunch. Love to suggest Hunters lap top would have and did influence the 2020 election if it wasn’t hidden which it wasn’t

Or Republican Leadership in the house. recently suggesting that that Biden’s classified documents story would have changed the midterms …

Trying to deflect from their failures, but their mindless base are easily re directed

Last edited by wdmso; 01-16-2023 at 09:32 AM..
Old 01-16-2023, 10:20 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
This falls right into Jim’s and others pattern of Logic

since the Russian influence and attempted interference didn’t change how people voted , or change the outcome of the election It didn’t happen

Just like Jan6th. Because it didn’t succeed in overturning the election
It didn’t happen …. so it didn’t matter

Just like Santos lies. because others have lied . It doesn’t matter

that’s their party’s platform until it’s about a Democratic

I heard Jams Comer claim the had no interest in looking into Trumps 300 plus documents case ! But now he’s issues Subpoenas
While making the claim Trumpand Biden have not been treated equally
Of course went on attacking the national archives the fbi and the justice department …

To cowardly and dishonest to admit the 2 issues take completely different paths after the discovery of the documents they should be treated equally

And yet Jim and detbunch. Love to suggest Hunters lap top would have and did influence the 2020 election if it wasn’t hidden which it wasn’t

Or Republican Leadership in the house. recently suggesting that that Biden’s classified documents story would have changed the midterms …

Trying to deflect from their failures, but their mindless base are easily re directed
just tell us why santos’ lies are worse than bidens or bmumemthal’s? simple question.

crying “false equivalence” is’t an
answer.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:36 AM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
just tell us why santos’ lies are worse than bidens or bmumemthal’s? simple question.

crying “false equivalence” is’t an
answer.
Jim a worldly man with real life experiences should not need that simple question answered .

And it has been answered again and again. By multiple different people.

You just don’t like the answer .

I’ve know many people like yourself they ask the same question to 99 people getting the same answer but when that 100th person answered the question the way they wanted answered.

The response was always the same back at the 99

See I told you I was right
Old 01-16-2023, 11:58 AM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
those totalitarian, commie republicans. They always want a huge federal government dictating every aspect of our lives.

you use lead paint in your house? that would
explain a LOT.
Since that’s the road you love to go down, you ought to know.

As Republicans now claim: Free trade, free immigration, and unregulated international finance - the 3 legs of communism.

Just being something fascists don’t like doesn’t turn anything into communism.

Your idea of freedom is dictating what teachers and professors can say and teach, removing book’s Christians don’t like, telling private companies what they can teach employees, telling women that they can’t bare arms and thinking thoughts and prayers are the solution to the highest gun violence in the developed world.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-16-2023, 02:04 PM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
Trump’s campaign manager admitted to colluding with the Russians.

That's not true. He never admitted to "colluding".
You purposely frame it that way to help create a false narrative. https://www.realclearinvestigations....t_777328.html#!

Trump himself asked Russia to hack Hillary.

Again, framing a typical Trump sarcasm as factual evidence to support a false narrative.

GOP operative convicted in scheme to funnel Russian money into Trump campaign

Shawna Chen
A former senior aide to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) was convicted Thursday after being found guilty of helping to funnel illegal foreign campaign contributions from a Russian national into former President Trump's 2016 campaign.

Is this what you're referring to?https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/18/gop-...campaign-.html[/COLOR]

Most of the money went into Benton's pocket, not the Trump campaign. And the money came from a private Russian businessman who gave the money in order to be able to get for himself a picture of him with Trump in order to promote his own business. It was not funneled from the Russian government to the Trump campaign. Benton kept for himself $75,000 of the $100,000 given by the Russian businessman, and gave the remaining $25,000 to the Great America PAC, a super Pac supporting Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign, as well as the campaigns of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Sen. Rand Paul, both Republicans from Kentucky, and Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas. Benton was convicted of a campaign finance crime and the Russian businessman got his picture with Trump.

This was not "Russian" (Russian government) interference in the election.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:16 PM   #16
detbuch

Quote:
Silly bot
Dept of Justice found that Russia “interfered in the 2016 presidential election in sweeping and systematic fashion,” including using social media. DOJ has access to classified info. Musk and Taibbi do not.
There's a difference between "interfering" and "inflluencing." The twitter files demonstrate actual influence by government agencies on the flow of information to the American public.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:22 PM   #17
detbuch

Quote:
Robert Mueller indicted 15 Russian 'companies' which his investigation found had meddled in the 2016 US presidential election. The Russians were assisted by Paul Manafort, who was paid $0 by Donald Trump to be his campaign manager. Manafort was obviously paid, but not by Trump!
Is there verification that these "15 Russian 'companies'" influenced the outcome of the election? Were they indicted for "influencing" or "interfereing"? Were the found guilty and convicted?
Old 01-16-2023, 02:22 PM   #18
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Is this what you're referring to?https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/18/gop-...campaign-.html[/COLOR]

Most of the money went into Benton's pocket, not the Trump campaign. And the money came from a private Russian businessman who gave the money in order to be able to get for himself a picture of him with Trump in order to promote his own business. It was not funneled from the Russian government to the Trump campaign. Benton kept for himself $75,000 of the $100,000 given by the Russian businessman, and gave the remaining $25,000 to the Great America PAC, a super Pac supporting Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign, as well as the campaigns of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Sen. Rand Paul, both Republicans from Kentucky, and Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas. Benton was convicted of a campaign finance crime and the Russian businessman got his picture with Trump.

This was not "Russian" (Russian government) interference in the election.
So a crappie fisherman from the midwest knows exactly how money is or isn't funneled into a campaign, simply amazing. I'm certain the Russian government would never make an effort to funnel money into Trump's or anyone else's campaign, in a such a way that didn't look like the Russian government was involved. They are after all a very honorable and honest government after all,

There isn't a single person alive that can with 100% certainty say how much the Russian disinformation campaign impacted the results and you are a fool and a liar if you say otherwise. On a side bar since we are talking now about influence of that 2016 election and the GOP is all set to go after the weaponized AG, FBI and homeland security departments; isn't it ironic that the announcement they would be looking again into Hilary just ahead of the election seemed to hurt Hillary and the democrats and helpful in getting Trump and the GOP candidate elected.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:30 PM   #19
detbuch

Quote:
Trump signed the Trump Tower Moscow memo in 2015, then lied about it for four years ("I have no business with Russia). He was working for Putin the entire time. We learned about this memo in 2019.
How did this influence the outcome of the election?
Old 01-16-2023, 03:50 PM   #20
detbuch

Quote:

Your version of what Russiagate "was about" notwithstanding, it did not find sufficient evidence that Trump conspired with Russia in order to win the election.

Nor is there sufficient evidence that Russian "interference" influenced the outcome of the 2016 election.

What the twitter files release is about is OUR OWN government "deep state" interference, AND DIRECT INFLUENCE, in the flow of information to the public. That is, it's about the successful unconstitutional intrusion of the Federal Government and its successful attempts to censor public speech, and specifically--political speech.

That you prefer to dismiss that, especially in favor of trying to direct us away from unconstitutional suppression of speech, and instead focusing on inconclusively significant Russian "interference," raises questions about what you are ultimately loyal to.

You have openly, directly, supported the censorship of "conservative" speech. You have not denied that your view is authoritarian, is even unconstitutional. But, somehow, that it is right and just. Because you are certain that "conservative" speech will always lead to loss of freedom. In spite of the fact that your notion will, indisputably, lead to the loss of freedom for a good portion, maybe even most, of Americans.

You do not seem to think that your drastic, unconstitutional idea, could eventually, even quickly, become the precedent which validates authoritarian regimes. When government has such broad power to decide what speech is allowed, "freedom" becomes like a slogan on the entrance sign of a NAZI internment camp.

You have fairly consistently sided with Progressive notions of centralized bureaucracy--government or private. You sometimes give an equivocal nod to the constitution and its founders, but ultimately seem to, perhaps unconsciously, favor the notion that the Constitution no longer truly can be applied to "our time."

And you are willing to lie, slant, slander, do whatever it takes to overcome the restraints on government provided in the Constitution, in order to promote, in your opinion, the "good" for the people. That is usually the very notion promised to us by authoritarians who wish to rule us.

I am over with the Trump phenomenon. It has been enlightening. And what it has opened our eyes to, if we wish to see, is the gaping hole in that grand old parchment--and growing larger at the hands of Progressively created nearly untouchable, unconstitutional, government regulatory agencies--very visibly and specifically now--the security and intelligence agencies. Hey, Ike warned us. We liked Ike. My opinion is we should focus more on that than on the canard that Trump is Putin's puppet.

It's not anymore, really, about Trump or Democrat vs. Republican as it is filtered to us through the controlled eyes, ears, and lips of our news and information organizations. We should welcome the insights of independents such as Matt Taibbi, et. al., and be grateful to quirky figures like Musk who are willing to lose millions to expose clear and present dangers to "our democracy" or, as I prefer, to our Republic.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:53 PM   #21
spence

I don’t see anything on WAPO that justifies this thread title. In fact it just looks made up.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:09 PM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	755876B8-B703-441E-9A76-0D1C8D584D67.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	69434  

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-16-2023, 06:21 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Your version of what Russiagate "was about" notwithstanding, it did not find sufficient evidence that Trump conspired with Russia in order to win the election.

Nor is there sufficient evidence that Russian "interference" influenced the outcome of the 2016 election.

What the twitter files release is about is OUR OWN government "deep state" interference, AND DIRECT INFLUENCE, in the flow of information to the public. That is, it's about the successful unconstitutional intrusion of the Federal Government and its successful attempts to censor public speech, and specifically--political speech.

That you prefer to dismiss that, especially in favor of trying to direct us away from unconstitutional suppression of speech, and instead focusing on inconclusively significant Russian "interference," raises questions about what you are ultimately loyal to.

You have openly, directly, supported the censorship of "conservative" speech. You have not denied that your view is authoritarian, is even unconstitutional. But, somehow, that it is right and just. Because you are certain that "conservative" speech will always lead to loss of freedom. In spite of the fact that your notion will, indisputably, lead to the loss of freedom for a good portion, maybe even most, of Americans.

You do not seem to think that your drastic, unconstitutional idea, could eventually, even quickly, become the precedent which validates authoritarian regimes. When government has such broad power to decide what speech is allowed, "freedom" becomes like a slogan on the entrance sign of a NAZI internment camp.

You have fairly consistently sided with Progressive notions of centralized bureaucracy--government or private. You sometimes give an equivocal nod to the constitution and its founders, but ultimately seem to, perhaps unconsciously, favor the notion that the Constitution no longer truly can be applied to "our time."

And you are willing to lie, slant, slander, do whatever it takes to overcome the restraints on government provided in the Constitution, in order to promote, in your opinion, the "good" for the people. That is usually the very notion promised to us by authoritarians who wish to rule us.

I am over with the Trump phenomenon. It has been enlightening. And what it has opened our eyes to, if we wish to see, is the gaping hole in that grand old parchment--and growing larger at the hands of Progressively created nearly untouchable, unconstitutional, government regulatory agencies--very visibly and specifically now--the security and intelligence agencies. Hey, Ike warned us. We liked Ike. My opinion is we should focus more on that than on the canard that Trump is Putin's puppet.

It's not anymore, really, about Trump or Democrat vs. Republican as it is filtered to us through the controlled eyes, ears, and lips of our news and information organizations. We should welcome the insights of independents such as Matt Taibbi, et. al., and be grateful to quirky figures like Musk who are willing to lose millions to expose clear and present dangers to "our democracy" or, as I prefer, to our Republic.
Next you can tell me about the power of sheriffs, sovereign citizens and how Tim McVeigh, Bannon, Flynn, Stone, Snowden, and Guo Wengui were and are working in the interests of Americans.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-16-2023, 06:24 PM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I don’t see anything on WAPO that justifies this thread title. In fact it just looks made up.
That’s because you have to read the OpEds, which have become fact in the eyes of the far right, as long as they fit their narrative.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-16-2023, 06:25 PM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
….
I read that article, it’s not at all what it asserted.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:16 PM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
Next you can tell me about the power of sheriffs, sovereign citizens and how Tim McVeigh, Bannon, Flynn, Stone, Snowden, and Guo Wengui were and are working in the interests of Americans.
Nah . . . I'll leave it up to you to show whose interests they serve. That sort of stuff is your bag. I may or may not comment on what you have to say about it.

I have consistently, first and foremost, been concerned on this forum about the erosion of the Constitution as the guiding principle of government in our country. The vast residuum of rights reserved to the people that Madison referred to, via the Constitution, even before the Bill of Rights was written, has effectively been erased or become dependent on the whim or desires of Progressive judicial "interpretation." Even, now, most of the "rights" in the Bill of Rights have been surrendered to that Progressive "interpretation." And the final surrender will be the First and Second Amendments. Those two lynchpins of American freedom are the ultimate prize to be captured and "interpreted" into whatever form, or existence, the federal government will allow.

On a basic level now, Federal "deep state" regulatory agencies, as the Twitter Files release is showing, are effectively curtailing First Amendment rights. And if we The People ignore, thus tacitly or willfully allow this to continue, it may eventually become in some future Supreme Court case a recognized fait accompli de jure, by a majority of Progressive SCOTUS Judges "interpretation."

In any case, it is de facto occurring now.

And I suspect you will be fine with all that.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 01-16-2023 at 10:14 PM..
Old 01-16-2023, 09:26 PM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Nah . . . I'll leave it up to you to show whose interests they serve. That sort of stuff is your bag. I may or may not comment on what you have to say about it.

I have consistently, first and foremost, been concerned on this forum about the erosion of the Constitution as the guiding principle of government in our country. The vast residuum of rights reserved to the people that Madison referred to, via the Constitution, even before the Bill of Rights was written, has effectively been erased or become dependent on the whim or desires of Progressive judicial "interpretation." Even, now, most of the "rights" in the Bill of Rights have been surrendered to that Progressive "interpretation." And the final surrender will be the First and Second Amendments. Those two lynchpins of American freedom are the ultimate prize to be captured and "interpreted" into whatever form, or existence, the federal government will allow.

On a basic level now, Federal "deep state" regulatory agencies, as the Twitter Files release is showing, are effectively curtailing First Amendment rights. And if we The People ignore, thus tacitly or willfully allow this to continue, it may eventually become in some future Supreme Court case a recognized fait accompli de jure, by a majority of Progressive SCOTUS Judges "interpretation."

Sure, Trump didn’t try to control all three branches of government, cast aside the results of an election and install himself as President for life like the “strongmen” he admired.

Tell me how impressed the people who wrote the Constitution would be impressed by that.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 01-16-2023 at 10:16 PM..

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-16-2023, 09:41 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

I see Stable Genius’s are taking action

The Albuquerque Police Department has arrested Solomon Pena, an unsuccessful Republican candidate for the House District 14 seat in the South Valley, in connection with the shootings at local Democratic politicians’ homes, the police chief announced Monday afternoon.

“Pena, an unsuccessful legislative candidate in the 2022 election, is accused of conspiring with, and paying four other men to shoot at the homes of two county commissioners and two state legislators,” Chief Harold Medina said.

APD had been investigating six shootings from Dec. 4 through Jan. 5 where bullets were fired into Democratic elected officials homes or near others offices.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 01-16-2023 at 10:17 PM..

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-16-2023, 10:55 PM   #29
detbuch

Quote:
Sure, Trump didn’t try to control all three branches of government, cast aside the results of an election and install himself as President for life like the “strongmen” he admired.

Tell me how impressed the people who wrote the Constitution would be impressed by that.
They would probably approve, as you say, that Trump didn't try to do that. Of course, they would strenuously disapprove if he had actually done it.

They certainly would consider your claim (that conservative speech should not be allowed) as a betrayal to the Constitution and nation they had established. They would probably consider you a threat to civil society, and disapprove of how you twist words and actions, lie, in order to attempt to bring about authoritarian, centralized government beyond what is limited in the Constitution.

And they would definitely rail against federal government agencies suppressing political speech of the citizens of this nation.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:06 AM   #30
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
They would probably approve, as you say, that Trump didn't try to do that. Of course, they would strenuously disapprove if he had actually done it.
Sure, because only successful bank robbers get charged and successful ones get strenuous disapproval.
Isn’t that what Susan Collins was speaking of when at his first impeachment she thought he had “learned his lesson”?

Lets Go Darwin