Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-10-2021, 06:10 PM   #121
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
All antifa
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
a sincere question for you, not a gotcha questions...

what is the worst language that trump used in DC? is it calling for conservatives to “fight”, which is language that all politicians use these days? or is it his continued aims that the election was stolen? that’s a sincere question.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:33 PM   #122
Pete F.
Canceled

"People took him literally. I never thought I'd see that," former White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney said about the domestic terrorist attack on Meet the Press.

Isn’t the implication here that “Everyone who worked for him knew he was a serial liar and we’re surprised his voters weren’t in on the joke.” That’s not what they were telling us the last four years.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #123
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Twitter is not the real world. It is a corporate left leaning authoritarian tool. It will begin to lose market to new formed competitors such as Parler. Facebook likewise to Rumble. Unless . . . "In a letter to the developers of Parler, Apple said it will pull the app in 24 hours if it does not get a plan to moderate the service more" . . . censorious crony corporate authoritarianism on the rise

Thought control. Language control. Mind control. The so-called American Experiment is in serious decline.
By now, you may have heard of the hacker who says she scraped 99 percent of posts from Parler, the Twitter-wannabe site used by Trump supporters to help organize last Wednesday’s violent insurrection on Capitol Hill. What you may not know yet is the abysmal coding and security that made the scraping so easy.

To recap, the scraping was pulled off by a hacker who goes by the handle donk_enby. She originally set out to archive content posted to Parler last Wednesday in hopes of preserving self-incriminating material before account holders came to their senses and deleted it. By Sunday, donk_enby said she had collected roughly 80 terabytes of posts, including more than 1 million videos, many of which contained the GPS metadata identifying the exact locations of where the videos were shot.

“For the journalists DMing me to ask, in non-technical terms, I'd describe the current Parler archival situation as ‘a bunch of people running into a burning building trying to grab as many things as we can,’” donk_enby wrote on Twitter on Sunday. “Things will be available in a more accessible form later.”

The reason for urgency: Amazon, Apple, and Google all informed Parler that its lack of content moderation violated their terms of service. The archivists wanted to obtain the posts while the site remained online. But as it turned out, donk_enby was able to retrieve posts even after they had been deleted.

Coding mess
A key reason for her success: Parler’s site was a mess. Its public API used no authentication. When users deleted their posts, the site failed to remove the content and instead only added a delete flag to it. Oh, and each post carried a numerical ID that was incremented from the ID of the most recently published one.

The rookie code made it easy to automate the scraping, as this script—used by donk_enby’s archival team—demonstrates. As a result, massive numbers of posts that discussed the insurrection before, during, and after it was carried out will be preserved indefinitely so that they’re available to researchers, journalists, prosecutors, and others.

Another amateur mistake was Parler’s failure to scrub geolocations from images and videos posted online. Sites like Twitter and Google routinely remove such metadata from content posted by their users. The video files hosted on Parler, by contrast, were “raw,” meaning they still contained this information.

Parler’s moderation policies—even more lax than those of Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube—already made the site popular with far-right users looking for a forum to discuss debunked conspiracy theories. With Twitter permanently banning Trump, the president’s supporters embraced the site even more enthusiastically.

Prosecutors are already pursuing more than 150 suspects in Wednesday’s riot. The preservation of some 80TB of Parler posts, including more than 1 million raw video files, may result in more people being charged.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #124
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
a sincere question for you, not a gotcha questions...

what is the worst language that trump used in DC? is it calling for conservatives to “fight”, which is language that all politicians use these days? or is it his continued aims that the election was stolen? that’s a sincere question.
i’ll ask again, what was the language that trump used, which a reasonable person would
infer, was responsible for the rally turning into a riot?

did he say “ go storm the capital”?

i rember obama saying democrats would bring a gun to the fight, that sure didn’t trigger any condemnation.

Chris Cuomo said on the air this summer, “show me where it says protests are supposed to be peaceful.”.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #125
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
By now, you may have heard of the hacker who says she scraped 99 percent of posts from Parler, the Twitter-wannabe site used by Trump supporters to help organize last Wednesday’s violent insurrection on Capitol Hill. What you may not know yet is the abysmal coding and security that made the scraping so easy.

To recap, the scraping was pulled off by a hacker who goes by the handle donk_enby. She originally set out to archive content posted to Parler last Wednesday in hopes of preserving self-incriminating material before account holders came to their senses and deleted it. By Sunday, donk_enby said she had collected roughly 80 terabytes of posts, including more than 1 million videos, many of which contained the GPS metadata identifying the exact locations of where the videos were shot.

“For the journalists DMing me to ask, in non-technical terms, I'd describe the current Parler archival situation as ‘a bunch of people running into a burning building trying to grab as many things as we can,’” donk_enby wrote on Twitter on Sunday. “Things will be available in a more accessible form later.”

The reason for urgency: Amazon, Apple, and Google all informed Parler that its lack of content moderation violated their terms of service. The archivists wanted to obtain the posts while the site remained online. But as it turned out, donk_enby was able to retrieve posts even after they had been deleted.

Coding mess
A key reason for her success: Parler’s site was a mess. Its public API used no authentication. When users deleted their posts, the site failed to remove the content and instead only added a delete flag to it. Oh, and each post carried a numerical ID that was incremented from the ID of the most recently published one.

The rookie code made it easy to automate the scraping, as this script—used by donk_enby’s archival team—demonstrates. As a result, massive numbers of posts that discussed the insurrection before, during, and after it was carried out will be preserved indefinitely so that they’re available to researchers, journalists, prosecutors, and others.

Another amateur mistake was Parler’s failure to scrub geolocations from images and videos posted online. Sites like Twitter and Google routinely remove such metadata from content posted by their users. The video files hosted on Parler, by contrast, were “raw,” meaning they still contained this information.

Parler’s moderation policies—even more lax than those of Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube—already made the site popular with far-right users looking for a forum to discuss debunked conspiracy theories. With Twitter permanently banning Trump, the president’s supporters embraced the site even more enthusiastically.

Prosecutors are already pursuing more than 150 suspects in Wednesday’s riot. The preservation of some 80TB of Parler posts, including more than 1 million raw video files, may result in more people being charged.
This really doesn't address what Detbuch was talking about.

From what I gather He is talking about Big Tech using its influence to censor content, manipulate the conversation, and stifle any competition that doesn't adhere to it's "Group Think".

All you posted was how crappy Parlers developers were. Nothing really to do in response to his concerns.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-12-2021, 03:34 PM   #126
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
This really doesn't address what Detbuch was talking about.

From what I gather He is talking about Big Tech using its influence to censor content, manipulate the conversation, and stifle any competition that doesn't adhere to it's "Group Think".

All you posted was how crappy Parlers developers were. Nothing really to do in response to his concerns.
Detbuch claimed "It will begin to lose market to new formed competitors such as Parler."

If your product sucks and is dangerous, then buyer beware.

Telegram says it had 25M new signups in the last 72 hours.

He's plenty willing to attempt to censor anyone who disagrees with him or rebuts his lies.

Last edited by Pete F.; 01-12-2021 at 03:48 PM..

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #127
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Did Apple and Google refuse to make it available because the Code sucked, or because they needed to make changes in their allowed content?

If they put out a crappy product, then they will fail on their own.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:02 PM   #128
Pete F.
Canceled

There's always a tweet

Sep 15, 2017 05:48:18 AM
Loser terrorists must be dealt with in a much tougher manner. The internet is their main recruitment tool which we must cut off & use better! [Twitter for iPhone]

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-12-2021, 04:42 PM   #129
Pete F.
Canceled

And somehow it's always related to.....The Russian chat app Telegram

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-12-2021, 05:38 PM   #130
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Did Apple and Google refuse to make it available because the Code sucked, or because they needed to make changes in their allowed content?

If they put out a crappy product, then they will fail on their own.
I haven’t read up on it but do have experience with clients trying to get apps approved in the app stores. Apple is very restrictive compared to Android. They are much more concerned with brand equity and if an app because of bad tech or other issues is a problem they’ll take action. Likely with Parlor they were holding their nose but both factors just blew up.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #131
detbuch

Quote:
Detbuch claimed "It will begin to lose market to new formed competitors such as Parler."
You left out the next sentence: Unless . . . "In a letter to the developers of Parler, Apple said it will pull the app in 24 hours if it does not get a plan to moderate the service more" . . . censorious crony corporate authoritarianism on the rise."
Old 01-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #132
detbuch

Quote:

Coding mess

Sounds like Parler's crappiness will help catch some bad guys. That's a good thing. I suspect that in time Parler would fix the crappiness. Did Twitter get it all right immediately. Parler was number one on Apple's app at the time--making lots of money for them. You don't think there was any political bias involved in the deplatforming? You claim that a total shutdown of Trumpism was necessary, including, I assume, socia media accounts. Your reasoning was not because of technical glitches in a platform.

Do you approve of crony monopolies?
Old 01-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #133
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You left out the next sentence: Unless . . . "In a letter to the developers of Parler, Apple said it will pull the app in 24 hours if it does not get a plan to moderate the service more" . . . censorious crony corporate authoritarianism on the rise."
Didn’t Tweety want to restrict or change 230?
What effect on freedom would that have?
Or do you want government control on just the businesses you have political issues with?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-12-2021, 10:05 PM   #134
detbuch

Quote:
Didn’t Tweety want to restrict or change 230?
What effect on freedom would that have?
Or do you want government control on just the businesses you have political issues with?
What Trump said, especially now, is irrelevant. 230 is irrelevant. 230 was supposed to let platforms allow free speech, not restricted speech. If platforms are allowed to act as publishers, 230 is a meaningless bunch of words anyway. Lack of access is the problem. Lack of competition is the problem. Lack of freedom in the market is the problem.

That lack of Freedom is facilitated by ignorant or corrupt corporate media and politicians who spread the fear of free speech and create an aura of panic in the public if certain people or ideas are allowed to be expressed--especially, now, fears of imminent attacks by "right wing" terrorists. Seems to me that if on open platforms such terrorists talk about starting riots, they are exposing themselves, which is a good thing. And if they are not allowed on these platforms, they will still plan attacks, more secretly.

But they are, apparently, not the problem. The millions of people who are not terrorists, and don't want any part of rioting or sedition of any kind, are made to be the problem. They are not to be allowed to say things they believe because they would "trigger" folks who have bad intentions to do bad things. If the trillionaire big tech giants can pay off the right politicians, i.e. the ones with the power, or cultivate politicians with big campaign contributions, they can stave off anti-trust, monopoly busting legislation. And so, can make competition less effective. Can more easily control the market.

It's OK with big tech if politicians make a show of it. Bluster about the problem of big tech control. Set up committees to investigate. So long as they don't do anything about it. Healthy campaign contributions can keep it that way. And, in return, political demagoguery about certain speech is the payoff--making it viable to shut down a competing platform, such as Parler, that allows that certain speech And it enables the pols to appear that their hands are tied because of the threat of dangerous speech. Otherwise,--we can be damned sure!--they'd fix it. But they're working on it. Be patient and keep voting for us.

So which speech is the culprit? Depends on whose being paid off. And on the ideological persuasion of the oligarchs. If their persuasion is Progressive, overly aggressive pro-conservative speech might be "dangerous" because it might trigger right wing riots. If their persuasion is "right wing," highly assertive leftist speech might trigger left wing terrorists. I'm oversimplifying it, but that's the drift.

In any event, free speech, diversity of ideas, which run afoul of a current political and social correctness will be stifled and erased by our increasingly more authoritarian, fascistic, crony-capitalist form of Progressive/socialist governance.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:28 PM   #135
Pete F.
Canceled

Don’t worry too much, the liberals will waste too much energy fighting among themselves to accomplish the things you fear.
What’s left of the right will also without a strong politician to guide them. McConnells accomplished everything he can and in his 80s will retire.
Pelosi too
The next ten years will be interesting
Old 01-13-2021, 01:54 AM   #136
detbuch

Quote:
Don’t worry too much, the liberals will waste too much energy fighting among themselves to accomplish the things you fear.
What’s left of the right will also without a strong politician to guide them. McConnells accomplished everything he can and in his 80s will retire.
Pelosi too
The next ten years will be interesting
Don't have to worry about big tech monopoly being accomplished, that has already been done. Looking forward to young folks realizing that freedom is better. If it's possible.

The Constitution will be a cipher. AI is expected to destroy huge numbers of jobs. The dreaded "income inequality" gap will expand. The current control freaks are accentuating the destruction of a predominant "middle class."

Hopefully, the young'uns can figure it out without a bloody revolution. This current crop of "leaders" only seem to understand the benefits of top down government. They create an economic and educational system that breeds a mass of incompetents who require government aid to survive. And machines will replace the low skilled jobs and eventually, not much later, the middle class jobs.

People will have to relearn old-fashioned self reliance in order to have the ability to create better individual lives for themselves or else remain on some dole. Or be eliminated . . . or worse. But our societal mores have deteriorated into dreamy notions of government enforced equity and "social justice." We don't preach the old work ethic, nor really desire the freedom to create our own destiny. Our boots no longer have straps. The China model may gain ascendance. Especially if we continue to allow our big tech symbiosis with China's cheap labor and our overall economy to continue to depend on the stuff we shipped off to their production.

Yeah, the China model. They brag about it. They say their showing the world that it is best. And that the old US model sucks. Yeah, they're hustling rings around us and most of the rest of the world. They are predicted to soon surpass us in AI technology, and our big tech and Silicon Valley oligarchs don't seem concerned enough about us enough to pull away from their profitable Chinese investment. But don't look behind the curtain. China has a different, unpleasant, way of dealing with income inequality, joblessness, and folks that don't do as they're told. And those that pose cultural disharmony or government threatening differences, may well face a life of some form of internment from prison to concentration camps where the healthier ones can face the joy of having their organs harvested to be sold to wealthier folks around the world, including in China.

If we don't free up our own economy to bust out from the control of the big corporations in bed with big government regulation, if we continue and expand the oligarchical model, we could slide into some form of the China model, or become a part of it. Then Trump will look like a Pilgrim's Jesus.

Of course, that could never happen . . . right? Probably not. We would probably have a revolution first, then decide all over again how to live with one another. If we continue to exist as one nation.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #137
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
what is insane is to listen to these reporters cackle about how violent and dangerous this is as they continue to show live footage of people just wandering around...

no smoke, no flames, no spray paint, no Molotov cocktails, no people being beaten, nobody screaming at the police or throwing things at them that I've seen...
Ok, sure, whatever.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:16 AM   #138
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
I haven’t read up on it but do have experience with clients trying to get apps approved in the app stores. Apple is very restrictive compared to Android. They are much more concerned with brand equity and if an app because of bad tech or other issues is a problem they’ll take action. Likely with Parlor they were holding their nose but both factors just blew up.
Absolutely correct Jeff. When we were developing the first mobile banking app, Apple made us jump through hoops before we got approved for the app store. Android, and specifically Google just said "sure, whatever.

No boat, back in the suds.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:37 AM   #139
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Turn on the news.
The call is coming from inside the House.
Of the 139 House GOP who voted to overturn the 2020 Election AFTER the violent attack on the Capitol January 6th, 118 were reelected to the 118th Congress as House members.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-06-2023, 11:32 AM   #140
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
what is insane is to listen to these reporters cackle about how violent and dangerous this is as they continue to show live footage of people just wandering around...

no smoke, no flames, no spray paint, no Molotov cocktails, no people being beaten, nobody screaming at the police or throwing things at them that I've seen...
This aged like a fine wine.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:34 PM   #141
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
This aged like a fine wine.
Now that's funny, some 300+ convictions of those mostly peaceful protesters, many doing some hard time and the DOJ is probably only halfway home. Scott's crystal ball needs a new battery, I think he predicted a giant red wave too, some see into the future and others never learn from the past.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:16 PM   #142
wdmso

All the Jan6th and the Insurrectionists deniers all have the same excuse even with all the available information most from Republicans themselves love to use this logic

If it didn’t succeed It didn’t HAPPEN!
Old 01-06-2023, 08:48 PM   #143
wdmso

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rs-supporters/

Republicans trying to rewrite history, shocking
Old 01-06-2023, 09:15 PM   #144
Pete F.
Canceled

House members gather to mark the second anniversary of January 6th

Only one Republican member was present. Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:41 AM   #145
wdmso

Quote:
House members gather to mark the second anniversary of January 6th

Only one Republican member was present. Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick.
For most of the GOP. It’s still just a Tour that went wrong.