Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #61
Nebe

I was thinking more of a mental midget.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #62
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

There's no Einsteins here on either side of the aisle
Old 01-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #63
Pete F.
Canceled

Now Tweety has access to the nuclear codes but he can't Tweet or post to Facebook.

OK

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #64
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Now Tweety has access to the nuclear codes but he can't Tweet or post to Facebook.

OK
To be fair, I don't let my 10 year old use social media either.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #65
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
To be fair, I don't let my 10 year old use social media either.
The other choice isn't the microwave

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-07-2021, 04:23 PM   #66
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Taking away Trump’s Twitter is like taking heroine away from an addict, it’s going to be hard on his support minions. So the last time the capital building was breached it was the British red coats and the next time it is MAGA red hats, oh the irony!
Old 01-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #67
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

Taking away Trump’s Twitter is like taking away pete's posting privileges...

fixed it
Old 01-07-2021, 07:12 PM   #68
Pete F.
Canceled

US Capitol Police officer has died of injuries sustained in yesterday’s assault on the Capitol. My heart goes out to the family of the officer and to all who risk their lives every day to protect and serve our communities with dignity and principle.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #69
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
fixed it
That sits funny

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #70
Pete F.
Canceled

QAnoners & Trump supporters who are QAnon adjacent are saying they do not see the video as a concession because Trump didn’t name “the new administration”

Many see it as a sign that he means that he’s purging all those who were disloyal to him and thus it will be a new admin.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:07 PM   #71
Sea Dangles

He is clearly the greatest president of our lifetime 🇺🇸
Old 01-07-2021, 09:26 PM   #72
Nebe

Dangles just wishes his sugar mama bought him a plane ticket to go down to DC to stop the steal and drop a deuce on bernie’s senate office desk.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:12 AM   #73
scottw

sums it up....

Old 01-08-2021, 06:48 AM   #74
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Dangles just wishes his sugar mama bought him a plane ticket to go down to DC to stop the steal and drop a deuce on bernie’s senate office desk.
Nancy would get a steamer fro me but instead it is just poor Guppy

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #75
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
they should refuse to leave and call it CHAZ....or CHOP....still mostly peaceful by leftist standards
I dunno. The second Capital to be overrun in the past year is arguably less violent than the previous Capitol overrun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
before last night, i’d have said that was nonsense. now, i have no argument. none. except it’s not him that will be the demise, it’s the democrats willingness to change things to guarantee they prevail ( letting non citizens vote, stacking courts, etc).

True. We can fix Trump. We can't fix the Dems willingness to rewrite everything in order to consolidate power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Peaceful protest is our right, beyond that you are just a thug and criminal. Doesn’t mean that there seems to be two different types of response based on the movement, unless you have blinders on.
FTR - I despise what happened in the Capital this week. But middle finger to everyone that thought it was OK to break some eggs to make the omelette over the past 7 months now getting their panties in a bunch.

For months I sat here saying peaceful protest was fine but the arson, rioting, mob destruction of public and private property and the mob's removal of statues and incitement of violence. All of you NOW with your panties in a bunch really need to do some soul searching. I really do want to be more harsh in my response on this.

For months mobs of people have been protesting (with some legit reasons) and a sizeable number of people have been encouraged to go beyond and loot burn and destruct - then have celebs and politicians bail them out and defund Law Enforcement. Where was Nancy and AOC calling out for David Dorn's justice?

People have been watching for 7 months that it was OK to riot and loot - well they hardly looted.

Quote:
Trump’s actions perfectly fit the legal definition of sedition: conspiring “by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof.”

And he is not the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
There's no Einsteins here on either side of the aisle
"There are Einsteins"

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #76
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

True. We can fix Trump. We can't fix the Dems willingness to rewrite everything in order to consolidate power.

Good lord... Are you talking about making sure anyone is legally able and who wants to vote can vote? One would think you would be happy with the typical person in a red state having their vote be worth 2 to 3 times what the vote of a California or New York resident is worth; happy with all the places the Repubes. have made it where they receive 40% of votes in a state and get 70% of the congressional seats. Must be a concern about losing power rather than fair representation of the will of the people.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #77
zimmy

Quote:
I dunno. The second Capital to be overrun in the past year is arguably less violent than the previous Capitol overrun.
Can you imagine if Hillary were president and a group of lefties breached the capitol, not only during an active session of congress, but the certification of an election. The nutters would be screaming "they should have mowed them down!"

Old 01-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #78
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

And he is not the first.
He needs to be removed.

This was not comparable to the thousands of demonstrations that occurred this year.

Nothing compares to how close the 1-2-3 in the line of presidential succession, VP-Speaker-Pro tempore came to being physically harmed on Weds. The terrorists had operable bombs, killed an officer and ransacked difficult to access areas of the Capitol.
They marched into the Capitol with the express aim of finding Pence and others and hanging them on the lawn to "set an example".
The goal, encouraged and incited by the sitting President and his allies, was to perform a coup, prevent the peaceful transfer of power and thus usurp the choice of the voters.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #79
scottw

Quote:

didn't the democrats take over the Wisconsin State Capitol in 2011 too?
Old 01-08-2021, 10:06 AM   #80
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post

Can you imagine if Hillary were president
that's funny
Old 01-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #81
Jim in CT

Quote:
Good lord... Are you talking about making sure anyone is legally able and who wants to vote can vote? One would think you would be happy with the typical person in a red state having their vote be worth 2 to 3 times what the vote of a California or New York resident is worth; happy with all the places the Repubes. have made it where they receive 40% of votes in a state and get 70% of the congressional seats. Must be a concern about losing power rather than fair representation of the will of the people.
he’s talking about the dems saying they want to give illegals the right to vote, end the fillibuster, add states, stack the court. i think.

is there evidence that democrats don’t gerrymander?
Old 01-08-2021, 11:42 AM   #82
Pete F.
Canceled

Elections have consequences

You can thank Tweety for the Georgia Senate races

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #83
Jim in CT

Quote:

Agreed. They can do whatever they want. I'm not denying that, I was just clarifying that I don't think that John R was saying voting shouldn't be fair. Naturally you had to bring that to Trump.

After he leaves, will you still be pathologically obsessed?
Old 01-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #84
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Agreed. They can do whatever they want. I'm not denying that, I was just clarifying that I don't think that John R was saying voting shouldn't be fair. Naturally you had to bring that to Trump.

After he leaves, will you still be pathologically obsessed?
As I said months ago, Trump was going to lose the Senate seats.
I’ll leave the obsession to you.
Keep track of the suit and sock colors, will you...

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #85
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:

No. I mean Dems wanting to abolish Electoral College, Extra States, extra justices - all stuff they want to do to consolidate their power.

Quote:
didn't the democrats take over the Wisconsin State Capitol in 2011 too?
Heck - Code Pink has temporarily disrupted the US Capitol. It is not as bad as what happened this week but remember all those Handmaiden's Tales ; )

Quote:
he’s talking about the dems saying they want to give illegals the right to vote, end the fillibuster, add states, stack the court. i think.

is there evidence that democrats don’t gerrymander?
True

Quote:

Yep - he cost the Rs the Senate.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-08-2021, 01:49 PM   #86
Pete F.
Canceled

JohnR

There are demonstrations and protests every year and have been for more than 100 years.

This was not a peaceful assembly

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #87
scottw

Geez Pete there’s gotta be a couple hundred dollars of damage in that report. Hillary could do more damage with an ashtray

Old 01-08-2021, 02:10 PM   #88
Pete F.
Canceled

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Hillary wouldn't have let 400,000 die or incited sedition. Just a thought.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-08-2021, 02:28 PM   #89
zimmy

Quote:
No. I mean Dems wanting to abolish Electoral College, Extra States, extra justices - all stuff they want to do to consolidate their power.
That is at least slightly more reasonable to be concerned about as a righter. The r's are big fans of "by the people" so considering whether D.C., which in modern times has the population greater than Wyoming, Vermont, and about equal to Alaska should get statehood shouldn't be consider such a threat, but rather a way to achieve for...and by the people for those Americans. Puerto Rico and territories have no shot, but D.C. worth debating.

Thank Mitch for the extra justices discussion. Reasonable to debate given his embarrassing power grab. The history buffs here would know that the current electoral system is nothing like what the founders envisioned and was born out of, among other things, distrust of the people to be knowledgeable enough to direct elect and served as a way to "consolidate power" of the slave states. It was debated before, it is always open to debate.

Democrats raising these ideas in response to the current state of the union isn't something that needs to be fixed. They are issues have been debated and revisited since the earliest days.

Last edited by zimmy; 01-08-2021 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #90
Jim in CT

Quote:
That is at least slightly more reasonable to be concerned about as a righter. The r's are big fans of "by the people" so considering whether D.C., which in modern times has the population greater than Wyoming, Vermont, and about equal to Alaska should get statehood shouldn't be consider such a threat, but rather a way to achieve for...and by the people for those Americans. Puerto Rico and territories have no shot, but D.C. worth debating.

Thank Mitch for the extra justices discussion. Reasonable to debate given his embarrassing power grab. The history buffs here would know that the current electoral system is nothing like what the founders envisioned and was born out of, among other things, distrust of the people to be knowledgeable enough to direct elect and served as a way to "consolidate power" of the slave states. It was debated before, it is always open to debate.

Democrats raising these ideas in response to the current state of the union isn't something that needs to be fixed. They are issues have been debated and revisited since the earliest days.
ending the fillibuster, stacking the supreme court, giving voting rights to illegals, and adding states to get around the electoral college, have never been seriously considered until now, not by people
with actual influence.

we elected the dems, so if those things happen, we deserve it. but let’s not say those are things that have been seriously considered.