Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-02-2023, 12:23 PM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So he didn't answer in the way you wanted so you needed to call him a j******?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
he denied there’s a valid point.

i asked you the same, absurdly simple question, you couldn’t bring yourself to answer it

how flimsy are your beliefs, that you’re stopped dead in your tracks by a question that a child would ask. you guys go on and on about white privilege, when asians are more prosperous.

i asked pete why that is, and he insulted me for asking. i asked you why that is, and you dodged.

hilarious.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:11 PM   #32
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You dodged the question, shocker.

If white privilege is what allows people to thrive, why are Asians thriving more than whites?

It's a simple question. Yet it scares the sh*t out of you, because the obvious answer, spits in the face of what you believe.

I never said Asians were nicer. I said they are the most economically successful race in the US. I said that because (1) it's true, and (2) I knew it would make you go berserk, because you cannot explain why that is true, without making your beliefs seem like bullsh*t.

Go ahead. Tell us why Asians are prospering more than any other ethnicity, including whites?

Asians have by far the lowest fatherless rate, 15% (blacks are at 66%). Kids without dads struggle, regardless of race.

https://nsjonline.com/article/2021/1...atherlessness/

Asians have, BY FAR, the highest rate of people graduating from college...Kids who don't get a good education or acquire marketable skills, tend to struggle, regardless of race.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...by-enthnicity/

The Brookings Institute found that following 3 simple steps (regardless of race) drastically reduces poverty rates. Graduate from high school, work full time, don't make babies until you are married and over 21.

That's it. It may not be easy (getting educated and working hard for 45 years is hard), but it's simple. It's not complicated. You don't need to be white. You just need to make good decisions.

This is why Asians thrive. Not because they are Asian. But because as a group, they embrace these productive choices.

Make that wrong, jackazz.

You've been absolutely pulverized. Obliterated. Man, that felt good, like going for a run.
Well you’re obviously retarded and either incapable of clicking or reading.

Myth: Asian Americans are a single monolithic group
Currently, more than 22 million people of Asian descent live in the U.S., making up approximately 7% of the nation's population. They trace their heritage to different regions around the world, with people of East Asian and Southeast Asian descent making up the largest shares, though no group makes up a majority. More than 1.5 million Pacific Islanders, who descend from Micronesia, Melanesia or Polynesia, live in the U.S. as well.

Myth: Asian Americans are high earning and well educated
Asian Americans have a median household income of around $78,000 a year, which is higher than the national median of about $66,000. However, that overall statistic obscures large differences among different Asian-origin groups.

These economic disparities are partially driven by similar disparities in education levels among Asian Americans. The highest-earning groups — Indian American and Taiwanese American households — also have the highest levels of education, while the lowest-earning groups have comparatively lower levels of education.

Indian American households are the highest-earning group, with a median household income of $127,000 a year. On the other end of the scale, Burmese American households are the lowest-earning group, with a median household income of $46,000 a year.

In fact, a 2018 Pew Research Center study found that Asian Americans were the most economically divided racial or ethnic group in the U.S., with Asian Americans in the top 10th of the income distribution making 10.7 times more than those in the bottom 10th.

Myth: Asian Americans immigrate to the U.S. in the "right" way
More than half of those who identify as Asian American and at least 17% of Pacific Islanders were born outside the U.S., according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

The Asian American community has the highest proportion of immigrants of any ethnic or racial group in the United States. Yet, Asian Americans are often overlooked in debates about immigration reform.

Asians have a wide range of reasons for immigrating to the U.S., including those coming as refugees or asylum-seekers. Out of the almost 11 million estimated undocumented immigrants in the U.S., around 1.5 million (14%) are from Asia, according to the Migration Policy Institute.

Heightened immigration enforcement has also impacted Asian Americans. From 2015 to 2018, Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested about 15,000 immigrants from Asia, according to a report by the nonprofit Asian Americans Advancing Justice.

The report also found that Southeast Asian immigrants were three to four times more likely to be deported for old criminal convictions compared with other immigrant groups. Out of the approximately 16,000 Southeast Asians with final removal orders in that period, more than 13,000 had removal orders that were based on old criminal convictions.

Myth: Asian Americans face less systemic racism and discrimination
Since the coronavirus pandemic started, hate crimes and violence against Asian Americans have increased. In an April survey conducted by the Pew Research Center, 32% of Asian American adults — a greater percentage than any other racial or ethnic group — said that they feared someone might threaten or physically attack them.
In response, the House of Representatives passed the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act on May 18. The bill would have the Justice Department appoint a point person to expedite the review of hate crimes related to COVID-19. It would also direct resources toward making the reporting of hate crimes more accessible.

Despite increased news coverage of various attacks against Asian Americans and the upcoming legislation, the LAAUNCH survey, which was conducted between March 29 to April 14, found that 37% of white Americans were not aware of increased incidents of hate crimes.

But anti-Asian bias and discrimination are not new to the pandemic. To understand the current climate, it's important to look at historical context. In past periods of national tension, especially during times when the U.S. has been at war with Asian countries, anti-Asian racism has similarly risen.

Myth: Asian Americans are fairly represented in leadership positions
The recent LAAUNCH survey also found that almost half of Americans incorrectly believe that Asian Americans are overrepresented or fairly represented in senior positions within American companies, politics, media or other realms.

In reality, Asian Americans are underrepresented in these positions of power, holding about 3% of these positions in comparison with composing 7% of the U.S. population, a report from The New York Times found last year.

More specifically, Asian Americans have the lowest degree of representation in political office compared with any other racial or ethnic group.

Asian Americans are even underrepresented in states with a high concentration of Asian American residents, like New York and California, according to a report by the Reflective Democracy Campaign.

Especially since the start of collective activism among Asian Americans in the 1960s, Asian Americans have had a rich history of political activism and involvement. But that history has not always translated to greater representation in political leadership.

One finding in the LAAUNCH survey may point to answers: 92% of Americans polled said they were comfortable with Asian Americans as doctors or friends, but only 85% said they were comfortable with an Asian American as a boss and 73% as a president of the United States.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-02-2023, 01:37 PM   #33
PaulS

Quote:

i asked you the same, absurdly simple question, you couldn’t bring yourself to answer it

how flimsy are your beliefs, that you’re stopped dead in your tracks by a question that a child would ask. you guys go on and on about white privilege, when asians are more prosperous.

i asked pete why that is, and he insulted me for asking. i asked you why that is, and you dodged.

hilarious.
Why do I need to answer any questions? I wasn't involved in the discussion.

I'm just trying to figure out why you need to go ballistic all the time and insult people when you don't get a response in the manor you want. Similiar to the post I just quoted.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:40 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Well you’re obviously retarded and either incapable of clicking or reading.

Myth: Asian Americans are a single monolithic group
Currently, more than 22 million people of Asian descent live in the U.S., making up approximately 7% of the nation's population. They trace their heritage to different regions around the world, with people of East Asian and Southeast Asian descent making up the largest shares, though no group makes up a majority. More than 1.5 million Pacific Islanders, who descend from Micronesia, Melanesia or Polynesia, live in the U.S. as well.

Myth: Asian Americans are high earning and well educated
Asian Americans have a median household income of around $78,000 a year, which is higher than the national median of about $66,000. However, that overall statistic obscures large differences among different Asian-origin groups.

These economic disparities are partially driven by similar disparities in education levels among Asian Americans. The highest-earning groups — Indian American and Taiwanese American households — also have the highest levels of education, while the lowest-earning groups have comparatively lower levels of education.

Indian American households are the highest-earning group, with a median household income of $127,000 a year. On the other end of the scale, Burmese American households are the lowest-earning group, with a median household income of $46,000 a year.

In fact, a 2018 Pew Research Center study found that Asian Americans were the most economically divided racial or ethnic group in the U.S., with Asian Americans in the top 10th of the income distribution making 10.7 times more than those in the bottom 10th.

Myth: Asian Americans immigrate to the U.S. in the "right" way
More than half of those who identify as Asian American and at least 17% of Pacific Islanders were born outside the U.S., according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

The Asian American community has the highest proportion of immigrants of any ethnic or racial group in the United States. Yet, Asian Americans are often overlooked in debates about immigration reform.

Asians have a wide range of reasons for immigrating to the U.S., including those coming as refugees or asylum-seekers. Out of the almost 11 million estimated undocumented immigrants in the U.S., around 1.5 million (14%) are from Asia, according to the Migration Policy Institute.

Heightened immigration enforcement has also impacted Asian Americans. From 2015 to 2018, Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested about 15,000 immigrants from Asia, according to a report by the nonprofit Asian Americans Advancing Justice.

The report also found that Southeast Asian immigrants were three to four times more likely to be deported for old criminal convictions compared with other immigrant groups. Out of the approximately 16,000 Southeast Asians with final removal orders in that period, more than 13,000 had removal orders that were based on old criminal convictions.

Myth: Asian Americans face less systemic racism and discrimination
Since the coronavirus pandemic started, hate crimes and violence against Asian Americans have increased. In an April survey conducted by the Pew Research Center, 32% of Asian American adults — a greater percentage than any other racial or ethnic group — said that they feared someone might threaten or physically attack them.
In response, the House of Representatives passed the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act on May 18. The bill would have the Justice Department appoint a point person to expedite the review of hate crimes related to COVID-19. It would also direct resources toward making the reporting of hate crimes more accessible.

Despite increased news coverage of various attacks against Asian Americans and the upcoming legislation, the LAAUNCH survey, which was conducted between March 29 to April 14, found that 37% of white Americans were not aware of increased incidents of hate crimes.

But anti-Asian bias and discrimination are not new to the pandemic. To understand the current climate, it's important to look at historical context. In past periods of national tension, especially during times when the U.S. has been at war with Asian countries, anti-Asian racism has similarly risen.

Myth: Asian Americans are fairly represented in leadership positions
The recent LAAUNCH survey also found that almost half of Americans incorrectly believe that Asian Americans are overrepresented or fairly represented in senior positions within American companies, politics, media or other realms.

In reality, Asian Americans are underrepresented in these positions of power, holding about 3% of these positions in comparison with composing 7% of the U.S. population, a report from The New York Times found last year.

More specifically, Asian Americans have the lowest degree of representation in political office compared with any other racial or ethnic group.

Asian Americans are even underrepresented in states with a high concentration of Asian American residents, like New York and California, according to a report by the Reflective Democracy Campaign.

Especially since the start of collective activism among Asian Americans in the 1960s, Asian Americans have had a rich history of political activism and involvement. But that history has not always translated to greater representation in political leadership.

One finding in the LAAUNCH survey may point to answers: 92% of Americans polled said they were comfortable with Asian Americans as doctors or friends, but only 85% said they were comfortable with an Asian American as a boss and 73% as a president of the United States.
"Myth: Asian Americans are a single monolithic group"

No sh*t. When did I say they're all the same? When did I come close to saying that?

"The highest-earning groups — Indian American and Taiwanese American households — also have the highest levels of education, while the lowest-earning groups have comparatively lower levels of education"

Are you so stupid, that you don't see that you agreed with me? You think that sentence refuted me? This is what I'm saying, that choices we make - not our skin tone - determine our likely prosperity.

"you’re obviously retarded "

You're on the side you belong on Pete, Paul sees nothing wrong with that word either.

"Myth: Asian Americans immigrate to the U.S. in the "right" way
More than half of those who identify as Asian American and at least 17% of Pacific Islanders were born outside the U.S., according to the U.S. Census Bureau."

How does being born outside the US, show that they immigrated the wrong way? What in Gods name are you talking about?

Wherever you plagiarized this from, the author is a moron.

"Myth: Asian Americans face less systemic racism and discrimination"
I never mentioned this topic, never came close. But again, you're proving my point. Even though Asians are victims of racism (meaning there's no such thing as Asian privilege), they are still the most prosperous race. You are explicitly saying, that racism is therefore not an excuse for a race not achieving prosperity. Again, supporting my point!

"Myth: Asian Americans are fairly represented in leadership positions"

I never mentioned this topic, never came close.

Fact: Despite being an ethnic minority, Asians are the most prosperous race. Doesn't mean every single one of them is the same. What it DOES mean, is that skin color isn't the commonality. Even according to YOU, Asians who get a good education do well, Asians who don't, struggle. So even YOU are saying it's not about race, but rather about our choices.

Moron.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:50 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why do I need to answer any questions? I wasn't involved in the discussion.

I'm just trying to figure out why you need to go ballistic all the time and insult people when you don't get a response in the manor you want. Similiar to the post I just quoted.
Who said you have to do anything?

But it's revealing, that you refuse to answer, yet I have shown a willingness to answer any question you'd ask. It's a luxury one can afford when one is honest, not enslaved by one ideology or the other, and has actually put some thought into why one believes what they believe.

I'm not going ballistic. But the most obvious and likely reason that you won't answer, is that you know the answer, but you hate it. You're not stupid.

I'll leave it here one last time, in case my question wasn't clear.

The left talks a ton about white privilege. Yet despite this so called genetic privilege, people of every race who have solid parents and make good choices and work hard, do well. People of every race who have a chaotic single mother and no dad, who don't work hard and make terrible choices, tend to struggle. Asians, who have the lowest rates of fatherlessness and the highest levels of education, are the most prosperous, even though they are not white. This is reality, because ________________".

Answer it, ignore it, insult me for asking, it doesn't matter, because whichever of those 3 choices you make, say nothing about me.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:58 PM   #36
PaulS

Quote:
Who said you have to do anything? In the post above which I quoted again below you asked.

But it's revealing, that you refuse to answerIt doesn't reveal anything. I wasn't involved in the discussion.
I didn't read it other to see you call Pete a jackass and couldn't figure out why you needed to resort to insults. I feel no need to respond to or read every post here.
, yet I have shown a willingness to answer any question you'd ask. So your response is that when you don't get the answer you like you restort calling people jackasses?It's a luxury one can afford when one is honest, not enslaved by one ideology or the other, and has actually put some thought into why one believes what they believe.

I'm not going ballistic. Calling people Jackasses when their response isn't what you want is going ballistic. It is not the response a sane normal adult makes. But the most obvious and likely reason that you won't answer, is that you know the answer, but you hate it. You're not stupid. as I said above I feel no need to respond to or read every post here

I'll leave it here one last time, in case my question wasn't clear.

The left talks a ton about white privilege. Yet despite this so called genetic privilege, people of every race who have solid parents and make good choices and work hard, do well. People of every race who have a chaotic single mother and no dad, who don't work hard and make terrible choices, tend to struggle. Asians, who have the lowest rates of fatherlessness and the highest levels of education, are the most prosperous, even though they are not white. This is reality, because ________________".

Answer it, ignore it, insult me for asking, it doesn't matter, because whichever of those 3 choices you make, say nothing about me.
Quote:

hilarious.
NM

Last edited by PaulS; 02-02-2023 at 02:03 PM..
Old 02-02-2023, 02:37 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
NM
Paul, is asking you a question, the same as demanding you answer?

Jeesh...

"It doesn't reveal anything. I wasn't involved in the discussion"

You chose to insert yourself, when you scolded me for insulting Pete, after not caring that he had insulted me first, again everything is OK when dems do it...

Some people (no liberals here, not one) think it's interesting to ask questions and see the answers, and also to answer other peoples questions. It's often considered one good way to learn. I've learned plenty from you and Spence and Rockhound and Wayne. But you guys, when someone makes a different argument, the fingers go right into the ears.

The guys here who are actually in the middle, have asked me repeatedly, why I bother. There is no answer. None.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
NM
"Calling people Jackasses when their response isn't what you want is going ballistic. It is not the response a sane normal adult makes"

But calling someone a "retard" for pointing out a study from the Brookings Institute, is OK...gotcha.

Insults, like everything else, only bother you when republicans do it. It's virtuous and noble when you do it.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:27 PM   #39
PaulS

Quote:
"Calling people Jackasses when their response isn't what you want is going ballistic. It is not the response a sane normal adult makes"

But calling someone a "retard" for pointing out a study from the Brookings Institute, is OK...gotcha.

Insults, like everything else, only bother you when republicans do it. It's virtuous and noble when you do it.
So you want to limit the insults to what you deem appropriate? Here is a suggestion - don't insult others and then you will have the high road.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #40
PaulS

Quote:

The guys here who are actually in the middle, have asked me repeatedly, why I bother. There is no answer. None.
That is funny because I have been told that multiple times.

Question about the person(s) who are "actually in the middle". Are they really in the middle and how would we know that or do they just post occasionally to mock and insult others w/o taking a position? Scott and SeaDangles (I doubt it was them) never really took positions, they just mocked and insulted others.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:35 PM   #41
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"Myth: Asian Americans are a single monolithic group"

No sh*t. When did I say they're all the same? When did I come close to saying that?

"The highest-earning groups — Indian American and Taiwanese American households — also have the highest levels of education, while the lowest-earning groups have comparatively lower levels of education"

Are you so stupid, that you don't see that you agreed with me? You think that sentence refuted me? This is what I'm saying, that choices we make - not our skin tone - determine our likely prosperity.

"you’re obviously retarded "

You're on the side you belong on Pete, Paul sees nothing wrong with that word either.

"Myth: Asian Americans immigrate to the U.S. in the "right" way
More than half of those who identify as Asian American and at least 17% of Pacific Islanders were born outside the U.S., according to the U.S. Census Bureau."

How does being born outside the US, show that they immigrated the wrong way? What in Gods name are you talking about?

Wherever you plagiarized this from, the author is a moron.

"Myth: Asian Americans face less systemic racism and discrimination"
I never mentioned this topic, never came close. But again, you're proving my point. Even though Asians are victims of racism (meaning there's no such thing as Asian privilege), they are still the most prosperous race. You are explicitly saying, that racism is therefore not an excuse for a race not achieving prosperity. Again, supporting my point!

"Myth: Asian Americans are fairly represented in leadership positions"

I never mentioned this topic, never came close.

Fact: Despite being an ethnic minority, Asians are the most prosperous race. Doesn't mean every single one of them is the same. What it DOES mean, is that skin color isn't the commonality. Even according to YOU, Asians who get a good education do well, Asians who don't, struggle. So even YOU are saying it's not about race, but rather about our choices.

Moron.
I pasted the article I linked in the previous post, that you didn’t read but responded with this “ You dodged the question, shocker.”

You show all the time who you are, the kid in the room with lead paint.

How’s your goat?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-02-2023, 04:52 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
That is funny because I have been told that multiple times.

Question about the person(s) who are "actually in the middle". Are they really in the middle and how would we know that or do they just post occasionally to mock and insult others w/o taking a position? Scott and SeaDangles (I doubt it was them) never really took positions, they just mocked and insulted others.
Do you really think I'd ever classify Scott and Dangles as being in the middle? Really?

I'm not a compulsive liar, nor an idiot, Paul. I'm a right winger, but not constant liar or a dummy.

There are guys here whose posts don't give an inclination that they are way off center.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:55 PM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
I pasted the article I linked in the previous post, that you didn’t read but responded with this “ You dodged the question, shocker.”

You show all the time who you are, the kid in the room with lead paint.

How’s your goat?
Pete, you tried to bust multiple myths that I never, ever came close to suggesting. And you said that not being born here, is somehow proof that one didn't come here "the right way". Most (all?) immigrants, whether they come legally or legally, are not born here. So that made zero sense.

As always, you dodged my question and responded to things I never came close to saying. You made some points that perfectly corroberate my posts (that education matters more than race). And you posted some stuff that was gibberish.

None of it, rejected what I actually said. Not a syllable.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:56 PM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:

How’s your goat?
My GOAT is Eisenhower and Lincoln. The answer to your question, I guess, is he's dead and remembered pretty favorably in the history books. though not by you i’m sure, since you said here that it was the democrats who ended slavery. Thats an interesting take on history.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:49 PM   #45
wdmso

greens taking advantage of another black man killed by police to express her white grievance. Seeing the capital cop shot a white traitor and here support of seditious scum

I watched the video, and it was tragic and extremely difficult to watch,” Greene said. “But I’d like to also point something that I’d hope you share with me: There’s a woman in this room whose daughter was murdered on January 6th, Ashli Babbitt.” (Greene had apparently invited Babbitt’s mother to attend the committee meeting.)
“As a matter of fact, no one has cared about the person that shot and killed her,” Greene continued. “And no one in this Congress has really addressed that issue. And I believe that there are many people that came into the Capitol on Jan. 6, whose civil rights and liberties are being violated heavily.”

And their worried about what Omar says . Republican are a joke

Old 02-02-2023, 11:00 PM   #46
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Pete, you tried to bust multiple myths that I never, ever came close to suggesting. And you said that not being born here, is somehow proof that one didn't come here "the right way". Most (all?) immigrants, whether they come legally or legally, are not born here. So that made zero sense.

As always, you dodged my question and responded to things I never came close to saying. You made some points that perfectly corroberate my posts (that education matters more than race). And you posted some stuff that was gibberish.

None of it, rejected what I actually said. Not a syllable.
Congratulations, you’ve identified what you see as a problem.
And a Nancy Reagan solution, we know how well that worked.

You’ve admitted that some Asians do well, some do not.
However “Blacks” in your mind, a monolithic totally homogenous group, do not.
Why do some Asians do better than others, is it cultural or genetic?
What about the circumstances that led them to arrive in America
Did some arrive here under different immigration conditions?
What was the societal status of the immigrants family in the place they left?
What is their societal status now?

Now do blacks, same questions

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-03-2023, 02:00 PM   #47
wdmso

latest poll. Found
Fewer Americans are confident that police are adequately trained to avoid excessive force

How confident are you that the police in this country are adequately trained to avoid the use of excessive
force?

60% say not confident

I don’t think liberal media cause that result
Old 02-03-2023, 03:45 PM   #48
wdmso

Another example of having the police called because your black

On 22 October, a neighbour had reported Bobbi to the police as a suspicious person while she was out obliterating lanternflies using a homemade repellent of water, dish soap and apple cider vinegar - a recipe she found on Tik Tok.
The neighbour reported her as "a little black woman walking, spraying stuff on the sidewalks and trees", I don’t know what the hell she’s doing. Scares me though.”

When an officer arrived, he found a 9-year-old girl who told him about the lanternflies as her mother, Monique Joseph, walked down the sidewalk toward them. The moments are captured on police body camera. according to a recording of the call obtained by CNN.

Spotted lanternflies are invasive insects that can hurt trees and ruin crops. Last year, scientists and state authorities encouraged people to kill the bugs, whenever and wherever they found them, and also advised people to destroy their eggs.

She was 9 years old. Thankfully the police used common sense a did what most people would do and ask Are you ok? 1st.

Then I hope he went to the callers home and laid into him for calling the police on a 9 year old out of fear not concern about her well being