Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-24-2023, 05:22 PM   #31
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The number was 33 when I started this thread and we are all ready up to 39, but I’d be shocked if anything is done in this congress.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:31 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
The number was 33 when I started this thread and we are all ready up to 39, but I’d be shocked if anything is done in this congress.
nothing was done in the last several congresses, right? democrats controlled both houses ignored the last congress. do you only care about this issue when the gop controls half the congress?
Old 01-24-2023, 05:41 PM   #33
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
nothing was done in the last several congresses, right? democrats controlled both houses ignored the last congress. do you only care about this issue when the gop controls half the congress?
The congress we controlled understood what would be brought up for a vote in the senate and they understood the reality that the GOP senate was going to stonewall almost anything coming their way, unless it truly helped their constituents or if it would kill them in the mid terms. Do you really think that this senate wouldn’t jump at the chance to bring gun control legislation to a vote?
Old 01-24-2023, 06:27 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
The congress we controlled understood what would be brought up for a vote in the senate and they understood the reality that the GOP senate was going to stonewall almost anything coming their way, unless it truly helped their constituents or if it would kill them in the mid terms. Do you really think that this senate wouldn’t jump at the chance to bring gun control legislation to a vote?
ok. obama had a fillibuster proof
majority of democrats in the senate at the start of his first term. And they did nothing.

if the democrat controlled senate wanted itbafly enough, they’d propose it.

look i think we need to do something, though i’ve yet to see a proposal that would likely make a dent. but neither side wants to do anything. The democrats cannot have more control
than they had in 2009. what did they do? zip.

democrats refuse to talk about the vast majority of shooting victims who are killed by handguns in garden variety urban violence. republicans refuse to talk about how to reduce the headline-catching, yet much smaller problem of mass shootings.

we elect jerks on both sides. So nothing gets done.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:06 PM   #35
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The way we (both sides) view and legislate gun control is nuts. When you could add all our losses in every war or conflict combined and never come close to the gun related deaths in this country says it all. Our priorities are totally messed up when it comes to guns.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:52 PM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
The way we (both sides) view and legislate gun control is nuts. When you could add all our losses in every war or conflict combined and never come close to the gun related deaths in this country says it all. Our priorities are totally messed up when it comes to guns.
agreed 100%. but it’s way more than guns. our culture is also very very sick. guns are dangerous, but inanimate. we don’t have empathy for each other. You could
have 100 guns in your house, and nobody would be in any danger. I think gun control
plays a big role, but restoring humanity would be more effective in saving lives. I don’t know how we accomplish either of those things.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-24-2023 at 08:35 PM..