Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Do refugees have visas/green cards?
I presume that the people who Obama banned from coming from Iraq, didn't yet have visas or green cards. I also presume that the refugees that Trump wants to ban from coming, don't have them either.

I think you are desperate to find some difference between what Trump and Obama did, so that you can bash Trump while praising Obama.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I presume that the people who Obama banned from coming from Iraq, didn't yet have visas or green cards. I also presume that the refugees that Trump wants to ban from coming, don't have them either.

I think you are desperate to find some difference between what Trump and Obama did, so that you can bash Trump while praising Obama.
No, you are totally wrong. There is a huge difference between slowing down refugees and banning visa/greeen card users. In addition, Pres. Trump. also seems to have given preference to Christians.

So I guess I had luck in this discussion

Edit - I just read there was no period of time during the Obama admin. when there where no refugees admitted.

Last edited by PaulS; 01-30-2017 at 12:25 PM..
Old 01-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
scottw

Quote:

In addition, Pres. Trump. also seems to have given preference to Christians.
call it "Affirmative Action" for Christians ...should make it more palatable to the left
Old 01-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
No, you are totally wrong. There is a huge difference between slowing down refugees and banning visa/greeen card users. In addition, Pres. Trump. also seems to have given preference to Christians.

So I guess I had luck in this discussion
"There is a huge difference between slowing down refugees and banning visa/greeen card users"

Please explain. Repeating your claim, isn't supporting it. I don't even know which POTUS did what in your example, I truly do not.

"Pres. Trump. also seems to have given preference to Christians."

I said that makes me uneasy. But Obama also gave preference to Christians, when he chose to only drop bombs on Muslims. Right?

At this point in time, on this planet, one religion is inspiring violent jihad. We can pretend that's not true for the sake of political correctness, or we can accept it.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
PaulS

Quote:
"There is a huge difference between slowing down refugees and banning visa/greeen card users"

Please explain. Repeating your claim, isn't supporting it. I don't even know which POTUS did what in your example, I truly do not.

So your argueing something w/o knowing the facts? Refugee, green card/visa holder are not the same. - that is the difference and it is a big difference. One of those links I provided even said something like "people are conflating refugees and green card holders". And while I believe you mentioned it bothers you, Pres. Obama did not give preference to Christians.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
So your argueing something w/o knowing the facts? Refugee, green card/visa holder are not the same. - that is the difference and it is a big difference. One of those links I provided even said something like "people are conflating refugees and green card holders". And while I believe you mentioned it bothers you, Pres. Obama did not give preference to Christians.
I know the important facts, I don't think I am aware of meaningless details. I don't know what kind of tie each POTUS was wearing when he signed the order, for instance. Because it doesn't matter.

So which POTUS banned those with green cards, and which banned those without green cards. And why is one an example of brilliant foreign policy, while the other is a moral abomination?

"Pres. Obama did not give preference to Christians"

He didn't bomb any. He bombed a whole lot of Muslims. Bombing terrorists involves collateral damage to other, innocent Muslims.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
PaulS

Quote:
I know the important factsno, you don't know the important facts.I've attempted to point them out to you a few times., I don't think I am aware of meaningless detailswrong - I attempted to get out my crayons but you don't seem to recognize the difference.. I don't know what kind of tie each POTUS was wearing when he signed the order, for instance. Because it doesn't matter.

So which POTUS banned those with green cards, and which banned those without green cards. And why is one an example of brilliant foreign policy, while the other is a moral abomination?

"Pres. Obama did not give preference to Christians"

He didn't bomb any. He bombed a whole lot of Muslims. Bombing terrorists involves collateral damage to other, innocent Muslims.
nm
Old 01-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
nm
OK, I asked in good faith, 3 times, why there is a vast moral difference between banning refugees and banning those with green cards. All you can say is "there is a difference". You literally offered nothing more than that.

Detbuch's post says that Trump's order does not deny entry to those with green cards.

In both cases, Obama/Trump halted immigration from war-torn places. Though both did it for security reasons, both also had the effect of increasing the suffering to some innocent victims who would have benefitted from coming here. Paul, is that true or false?
Old 01-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

My initial post seems to only be a springboard for the ongoing battle I see waging on this political forum, but IMHO and many share it as well, is that this ban will only strengthen the resolve of the terrorists this ban is supposed to protect us from.

Trump couldn't give the radicals recruitment efforts a better boast and considering a lot of these terrorists have and will be home grown, why would we carelessly implement something that will only make it that much easier to convert a US citizen to join their cause.

I'm all for making damn sure we know exactly who is coming and going into this country and homeland security absolutely must be a major priority for any administration in this fd up world we live in, but this move is not making us safer. If I were the IT manager for the radical Islamic nut jobs, man did my job just get easier, see the evil Americans go. If I were a Muslim living in this country, citizen or not, boy not only would I be losing sleep; I'd be getting some better home security of my own.

I'm not sleeping any easier and the fire first ask questions later mentality is dangerous at best. I just see this getting uglier as we go forward, too many people on the streets and too much hatred in the air; man I need a Super Bowl to get positive.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
scottw

Quote:

Refugee, green card/visa holder are not the same. - that is the difference and it is a big difference.
they are spelled differently too
Old 01-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

the internet is ruining society

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
or at least this site.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #13
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
blame Al Gore...he invented it
Old 01-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #14
scottw

Quote:

Pres. Obama did not give preference to Christians.
that's because he is a muslim?
Old 01-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
You keep bringing up the green card thing. That has been cleared up, and the executive order did not deny entry by green card holders. Green card holders have already been vetted and legally accepted. "Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, who wrote, 'In applying the provisions of the president’s executive order, I hereby deem the entry of lawful permanent residents to be in the national interest.'” The administration explained that full details of the plan could not be broadcasted a week ahead of implementation because that would have given the "bad guys a week to get in. Take it or leave it, believe or don't, in either case the matter has been resolved.