Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2020, 07:33 AM   #10
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
just sayin'...

I can’t get too whipped up over President Trump’s commutation of Roger Stone’s 40-month sentence for non-violent criminal obstruction of a bogusly based and ridiculously over-prosecuted investigation.

Not under circumstances in which jail-house doors have been swung open all over the country by federal, state, and local governments, which are using the coronavirus pandemic as a rationale to release both hardened criminals and elderly convicts (i.e., those around Stone’s age)."
Here is a perfect example of where I feel independent thinking over partisan politics is needed... I agree that in the grand scope of things, Stone's commutation won't be an important historical event. (Just another example of why this POTUS is a horrible human being.) As for releasing so many from prison? I can see the compassionate argument there. Heck, the 41 year old son of a man I have used as a sub contractor, died in a state run lock up. Three days and he was gone. Dead. He was in for stealing from parking meters.... Not his first offense mind you, but you get my drift. Compassionate releases to fit the crime, I am ok with that. Not ok with the release of the animals who have already raped and killed again, after being released under the pandemic heading.
So what I am trying to portray is that some good old fashioned negotiation skills are needed here, in American government. Neither party has all the answers. We, as a country, still must be able to police and protect the people from the rioting and looting that goes for protesting these days. You don't need to be a police state in order to uphold the laws of the land. I am an independent, but clearly a right leaning independent. Doesn't mean I wont back proposals from the left that I think are viable or needed, just because of who proposed them. Partisan politics is what is wrong with government today, IMHO.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.