Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 06-10-2023, 04:11 PM   #1
wdmso

Brain Fart.

Went out this morning unplanned with a friend last minute short run from my local ramp 2 miles tops

40 minutes into jigging and drifting he and I notice water in the scupper
He thinks I used the wash down , I am thinking their clogged from all the crap from the trees

Another few minutes goes by no the boat is leaning more than usual I almost dismissed it as both of us on one side.

Thankfully I did not. Lift the rear hatch all I see is water just below my batteries! Then the light bulb goes of I forgot the plug that I had pulled because I expected it to rain and wasn’t planning on going out till after the weekend…. F()(;@!

Mind you my batteries are 18 inch’s above the bilge

I hit the bilge pump built in float switch died 2 seasons ago it starts but now I’ve got to start moving but she’s going to turtle if I Gun it !

I put my friend on the Bow to hopefully put a little counter weight was a little touch and go at first even with the tabs and motor trimmed all the way down she was squatting like an inch below the motor well

In about 5 minutes I was able to get her on plane back at the ramp dry enough to pull her out go home get my plug and head back out

But we used all our luck up. And got skunked which beats swimming
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:16 PM   #2
Guppy
User

Not sure I’d tell anyone if I did that….. LOL

Glad all is well friend…..
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 06:09 PM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Went out this morning unplanned with a friend last minute short run from my local ramp 2 miles tops

He thinks I used the wash down , I am thinking their clogged from all the crap from the trees

Another few minutes goes by no the boat is leaning more than usual I almost dismissed it as both of us on one side.

Thankfully I did not. Lift the rear hatch all I see is water just below my batteries! Then the light bulb goes of I forgot the plug that I had pulled because I expected it to rain and wasn’t planning on going out till after the weekend…. F()(;@!

I hit the bilge pump built in float switch died 2 seasons ago it starts but now I’ve got to start moving but she’s going to turtle if I Gun it !

I put my friend on the Bow to hopefully put a little counter weight was a little touch and go at first even with the tabs and motor trimmed all the way down she was squatting like an inch below the motor well

In about 5 minutes I was able to get her on plane back at the ramp dry enough to pull her out go home get my plug and head back out

Did that once in my old Lund had to get back to the ramp and on the trailer to drain, put the plug in and try and to get fishing.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:17 PM   #4
beamie

You didn’t have anything to temporally put in the hole?????
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:36 PM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
You didn’t have anything to temporally put in the hole?????
No access from the inside and from the outside required swimming I honestly didn’t have time to get wet moving was the best option,

On the positive side only 2nd time in 30 years
Old 06-13-2023, 07:37 AM   #6
clambo

plug

If one owns a boat at some time we all have forgot the plug. I had a 1968 MFG that had 2 plugs, one for the deck and one for the bilge. A friend put the plug in for the deck and forgot the lower plug. As we were going out I noticed the boat was sluggish and then looked in the cubby the plugs went in and there was still one there! Quickly got on plane and stopped boat, jumped in and put plug back in place. From then on only I handled the plugs.
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:12 AM   #7
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:

Wayne, It happens but I'll admit I never did it. Then again the Lady Jeanne III was always in a slip.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:28 AM   #8
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Wayne, It happens but I'll admit I never did it. Then again the Lady Jeanne III was always in a slip.
Well iam taking steps to make sure it won’t happen again

New bilge pump with Float and remove the plug end of season

And I hope that people read this and the next time they are at the Ramp.
Say to themselves let’s not pull a Wayne !
Old 06-13-2023, 12:04 PM   #9
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Well iam taking steps to make sure it won’t happen again

New bilge pump with Float and remove the plug end of season

And I hope that people read this and the next time they are at the Ramp.
Say to themselves let’s not pull a Wayne !

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 03:50 PM   #10
Clammer

I ve done some really messed up s#$%^&

replaced enough lower unit & props to cover this site &&&&&&&&& the list goes on

But 62 years having my own boat an many, many years OTW 12 months a year .. things are donna happen ........ some real big an some that ain,y #^&#^&#^&#^& ,,

But ya got me beat Captain ........&& I,m with Guppy on this one

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote