Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Brian View Post
My buddy just took his in and they wouldn't let him drive it out. Gave him 12.5K for a 98 and a loaner car.

And we wonder why our American economy is in the %$%$%$%$ter, the $ is worth an all time low, and the big 3 american auto makers have been loosing millions every 1/4 !!!
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Squid kids Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
And we wonder why our American economy is in the %$%$%$%$ter, the $ is worth an all time low, and the big 3 american auto makers have been loosing millions every 1/4 !!!
Ronnie you are so right..........

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Brian View Post
My buddy just took his in and they wouldn't let him drive it out. Gave him 12.5K for a 98 and a loaner car.
same thing here.. a friend drove his truck inn to be cheked out and tyota confiscated it.

I am totally suspicious of this but maybe I am a curmudgeon
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Glad I have an 02

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Jenn

I am kind of on the fence on this. We talked about replacing the hubby's 4runner with 125K(in another year or so) with the Tundra. I have a 98 Tacoma with 160K. We werent finacially ready for the Tundra payment just yet. So my Dilemma is do we take advantage of a POSSIBLY great trade in on the truck now even though a new payment would be tight right now?

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I would hate to pass it up knowing this might be the best bet.....timing sucks though!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
My buddy pete is getting 9K for his 1997!!! What a deal!

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Sluggoslinger

Too bad this didn't cover the 4runner, my 99 is a rust bucket, needs new breaks and just had a flat tire... she's ready for a replacement
Sluggoslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Karl F

two of my custumers are getting ...New Frames... instead of a check... signifigant changes in their policy now...newer/cleaner trucks, will get repaired/replaced frames...
they finally agreed to take my bosses 98 taco, agter the rear end fell half out... that was in August... no check yet from corparate Toyota....mainly because truck was registered to a corporation, and now there is all kinds of paper work...and my boss has his lawyer involved now... he says now, he wish he took it to the welders instead... they keep after him to buy a new truck... he says show me my money for the old truck first.....and the dealer keeps passing the buck to corporate Toyota, who keeps asking how do we know that you own the truck... he has had to prove that he is the signifigant party, officer in the corporation..and still gets chain yanked...
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
2na

Spoke to my salesman yesterday re: my 2002 Tacoma, he confirms what Karl said. He added that the problem is not limited to Tundra's (no s). He says that Toyota will replace the frame and pretty much anything attached to it, mainly the brake lines, gas tank, etc. I'm bringing it in to a dealership after the holiday, will report back in.

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.
2na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #10
basswipe

A little update:

My '04 for was added to this recall in 2010.At the time no perforations in the frame were found and the underbody was done with a protective coating to satisfy that recall.This recall ended Dec.31 of that year.

Recently some serious rot was found.Most of the protective shrouds had completely rotted away,along with the emergency brake and other things.Brought the truck to the Toyota dealer today and a perforation(s) was found in the frame.We will now be getting a brand-new frame and shrouds for zip.

Apparently there's a warranty on the protective coating which extends this recall.If you had the under-coating done and now have a ton of rot it can't hurt to have a dealer inspect it
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #11
Liv2Fish

I made out like a bandit on this deal a few years ago with an 06? Tacoma. I stopped in to Falmouth Toyota to look at a Tundra. Dude looked under my Tacoma and half hour later I had a check in hand for $14,900.00. I paid $16k for the Tacoma with 32 K on it and drove it to 140k miles before the buy back. Owed nothing on it. Walked out with the Tundra for half price.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #12
SweetD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv2Fish View Post
I made out like a bandit on this deal a few years ago with an 06? Tacoma. I stopped in to Falmouth Toyota to look at a Tundra. Dude looked under my Tacoma and half hour later I had a check in hand for $14,900.00. I paid $16k for the Tacoma with 32 K on it and drove it to 140k miles before the buy back. Owed nothing on it. Walked out with the Tundra for half price.
I did the same exact thing, but I bought a brand new Tacoma with my $15k buyback check...best deal I've ever had! Did not have to use the money towards a new Toyota, but I seized the opportunity at the time!
SweetD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #13
fish4striper

Got a new frame for my 2001 Sequoia, control arms were frozen so couldn't do an alignment, free also. Tarbox did a great job.
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #14
buckman

Just had the frame replaced on my old five Tacoma that I just gave my daughter . 6 months and a lot of battling as they try to nickel and dime me to death . They paid for a rental for the whole time . I'm not complaining but the dealership and Toyota could've made the process much better . If you let a vehicle sit in your parking lot for six months chances are things going to break . For instance, they wanted me to pay for a caliber that had seized
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #15
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Got a new frame for my 05' (stupid low mileage) traded it in 6 months later for '12 tundra with 40k on it for about 10k out the door no f'ing way I was getting a 4 year old truck for 10k anywhere else...

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
Ronnie, Dana should have stuck to making axles and transfer cases, you are right. They also manufacture the truck frames for General Motors... was just on Dana Holding company's website.... Dana is in chapter 11 bankruptcy right now... this must be costing Toyota some serious coin... and so far I can find absolutely nothing about frame design or quality changes.......

As the saying has gone for years in the industry I work in,
American auto makers build vehicles to last as long as the typical loan (5 years) on average.
Then the start to fall apart, forcing americans to buy new again. (keep them and their $$$ coming back)
That worked for my grandfathers generation (Any american who served in WW2) who wouldn't buy or even drive a car made in Japan.
Those days are long gone !
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:07 AM   #17
fishonnelsons

JB, older, local chef who also mates on a charter boat, drove to Orleans to get an oil change, knew nothing about this at all. Manager comes out to him, sits down next to him, and gives him the news - "confiscated" - too bad to fix, gave him a loaner until they figure out his options.

Really sad part is JB is not at all fluid with the cash, so even new at half-price is not an option. They are looking to get an older, comparable model in A1 shape though.
fishonnelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #18
HOCKEYCOACH
f/v Fin-ish Work?

Rich that sucs, that they took JB's ride. My son has my old Yota '97 took to Orleans they are buying it back but gave him the option to drive it or take the rental. I'm still not sure that they can make you give up the truck.
HOCKEYCOACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #19
1dozenraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishonnelsons View Post
JB, older, local chef who also mates on a charter boat, drove to Orleans to get an oil change, knew nothing about this at all. Manager comes out to him, sits down next to him, and gives him the news - "confiscated" - too bad to fix, gave him a loaner until they figure out his options.

Really sad part is JB is not at all fluid with the cash, so even new at half-price is not an option. They are looking to get an older, comparable model in A1 shape though.
This would be me if I drive in and they "take" my 2000. Not sure what to do at this point because I like my ride and it has 125K on it and the frame looks fine... it will probably last another 120K.

On a bit different note... I bought two 1988 Toyotas with rusty beds and around 130K on them. Paid $1000 each and drove both for several years and until they had well over 250K on them and sold them for around $500. Only standard repairs and had to replace the beds. The cabs were fine. Later was told that all the Toyotas from that year were shipped here without the beds and the beds were made here and installed here. Hmmmm.

Meanwhile, what to do? I was down near the west wall two days ago and a guy was out at his mailbox. He flagged me down, asked what year my truck was and told me he "works closely" with Toyota and that I should bring the truck in.

Is there a time limit on how long this deal is available? What's the best way to get in the process?
1dozenraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #20
Jenn

DONT drag your feet like I did on this. Hubby just went to take the winter tires off and put the summer ones on....frame is actually split above the rear tire....he is still checking it out now.

I am sick to my stomach that I was driving it that way......

Simplify.......
Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #21
Jenn

Bringing it down tommorrow.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4sale 011resize.jpg (75.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 4sale 012resize.jpg (99.1 KB, 35 views)

Simplify.......
Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #22
Jenn

We went and looked at a used 07 Tundra for the hubby and I will inherit his 4-Runner. We had been wanting to do this but not anytime soon......bad timing but hopefully I will get a decent amount for the Taco and that will help ease the new payment sting a little....

Simplify.......
Old 04-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #23
Van
zoom

I just bought an 08' tacoma.

Hope this is not an ongoing issue.

Love my new ride though !!!!!!

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 AM   #24
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
Yea Karl, but that 99 is part if the recall!! 95 to 2000

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #25
cheferson

$7650 for a 98 with 157000, no options, 4 bald tires, a rusted hood w/6 inch hole , roof is rusting out and leaking , and a cracked exhaust. That i paid 3k for 1.5 years ago!!! Now i gotta figure out what the hell im gonna do. And $50 per a day torwards a rental truck till i get my check!!! CHA-CHING!!!!

Last edited by cheferson; 04-29-2008 at 09:37 PM..
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #26
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Add $4000 to that check and you can buy a fine, solid, full size truck, with a solid frame (mine)

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #27
cheferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Add $4000 to that check and you can buy a fine, solid, full size truck, with a solid frame (mine)
Not with gas pushing $4, considering a getting a car.
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #28
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheferson View Post
Not with gas pushing $4, considering a getting a car.
I am too, a car for work, and the truck for play...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #29
zacs
D'oh

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #30
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheferson View Post
$7650 for a 98 with 157000, no options, 4 bald tires, a rusted hood w/6 inch hole , roof is rusting out and leaking , and a cracked exhaust. That i paid 3k for 1.5 years ago!!! Now i gotta figure out what the hell im gonna do. And $50 per a day torwards a rental truck till i get my check!!! CHA-CHING!!!!
Cheferson....I think you may have gotten a bum deal....I got completely FREE loaner with unlimited mileage until I get my check.... I would look into it....then again 50$ per day may cover the rental.... I dont know because I have never rented a car and couldnt tell you what it would cost if my life depended on it!!!!

Simplify.......