Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I may have bought that the very first time they did it, But when it was first done last year it was very evident that people were taking it as disrespectful. To keep doing it tells me they are very aware that it is being taken that way. Because I don't think they lack the intelligence to understand that.
So playing devil's advocate. If I say someone posts here are racist and they truly believe they are not, should they stop posting those thoughts? Wouldn't their change of behavior indicate that their prior actions were infact racist?

Pres. Trump's calling them "SOBs" after calling Neo Nazis' "fine people" threw fuel on the fire. I just read a report saying he did it bc he wanted to shore up support from his base after the firestorm of complaints that he worked w/Schumer and Pelosi. He saw the reaction in Iowa after comments he made about Kapernick. Watch the approval rating from his base go up next time polls are released after they recently eroded.

What does Nebe say "Making America hate again".
Old 09-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So playing devil's advocate. If I say someone posts here are racist and they truly believe they are not, should they stop posting those thoughts? Wouldn't their change of behavior indicate that their prior actions were infact racist?
Just because you say someone's posts are racist.....doesn't automatically make them so...

That word has been so over used as of late it has completely lost its effectiveness.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Pres. Trump's calling them "SOBs" after calling Neo Nazis' "fine people" threw fuel on the fire. ".
Not remotely what he did. He condemned the Nazis, again and again and again. You can't concede that, because it doesn't fit The Narrative.

The NFL wouldn't let the Cowboys honor assassinated police officers, then allowed this. THAT threw fuel onto the fire. Maybe a little, maybe more than a little. we'll see next week. Probably not much.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Not remotely what he did. He condemned the Nazis, again and again and again. You can't concede that, because it doesn't fit The Narrative.No, he didn't. Every time he condemned the Nazis (and he only did it reluctantly) he made comments about antifa - those trying to equalize the 2. He even made the stupid comment that they didn't have a permit. And that is way almost all politicians (of both sides) criticized him.

The NFL wouldn't let the Cowboys honor assassinated police officers, then allowed this. THAT threw fuel onto the fire. Maybe a little, maybe more than a little. we'll see next week. Probably not much.
NM
Old 09-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
NM
"time he condemned the Nazis (and he only did it reluctantly) he made comments about antifa "

Not true. He has been condemning racism in general, and Nazis in particular, since long before the Charlottesville protest. Find the videos, as you like to say, they are easily available in Google. Many of his public denunciations of Nazis, are not reluctant.

As regards the Charlottesville event, his wording was awful, and he deserves criticism for it. But outside of that, he has made no secret of his contempt for Nazis. But when he says "I condemn Nazis", and what you hear is "I think Nazis are fine people", well, that's more your issue than his issue.

Look at everything he has said and done on the subject of race, not just Charlottesville. Your side ensures that we will all have plenty of opportunity to comment on race, so don't judge him based on cherry-picked statements where he put his foot in his mouth, but on his whole record. None of us, not even Trump, are merely the sum of our mistakes.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
PaulS

Quote:

But when he says "I condemn Nazis", and what you hear is "I think Nazis are fine people", well, that's more your issue than his issue.
I'm just going by what he said.

Look at everything he has said and done on the subject of race, not just Charlottesville. Your side ensures that we will all have plenty of opportunity to comment on race, so don't judge him based on cherry-picked statements where he put his foot in his mouth, but on his whole record. None of us, not even Trump, are merely the sum of our mistakes.
I always laugh at "your side" comments. Most people think of us as all on the "same side"
Old 09-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
I always laugh at "your side" comments. Most people think of us as all on the "same side"
"I'm just going by what he said."

No, you are going by what you heard. Two very different things.

You're right, the left doesn't focus on race at all, no more so than the right.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
PaulS

Quote:
"I'm just going by what he said."

No, you are going by what you heard. From news broadcasts of Trump's speaches Two very different things.go back and read the transcripts.

You're right, the left doesn't focus on race at all, no more so than the right.
Have I claimed that? bc I can't recall doing that. Pls. point out where I said that.