Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
bassballer

Bonito recipe

Anyone got a good one? done sashimi but looking for something else. How you guys cooking these guys.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Nebe

Smoke dat chit
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Fly Rod

smoke it like U would salmon...videos R only for reference adjust as U like....I do not use the 3 steps for the heat range I try to stay around 175-200 for 2 hrs. and using a thermometer one of them digital ones for about 20 bucks

http://honest-food.net/2012/08/12/ho...salmon-recipe/

Last edited by Fly Rod; 10-04-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
spence

Isn't bonito pretty strong? Never had it...
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
flyvice11787

Shouldn't be. Bleed them out right away. I'd blacken with some Cajun seasoning.
flyvice11787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Dick Durand

Bonito is quite mild and is well suited to marinating. This is from an issue of last fall's Fisherman - Bonito with Chinese Marinade.

2 lbs. bonito fillets
1/4 cup of soy sauce
2 TBSP cheap dry sherry
2 TBSP white vinegar
1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, sliced thinly
1 TBSP of minced garlic
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1TBSP of water
Sprig of cilantro or parsley, garnish
Toasted sesame seeds, optional garnish

Mix soy, sherry, vinegar, ginger and garlic. Marinate the fish in this mixturefor 1/2 hr. at room temp or refrigerate up to several hours. Remove fish and strain the marinate. Put the marinate into a saucepan and heat to boiling. Stir in cornstarch mixture and remove from heat when thickened.
Grill the fish for 2-3 minutes on each side, basting frequently with sauce during the final minutes. Add garnish and serve.
(Actually, I like this recipe better with black sea bass.)
Dick Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Shark bait
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
JackK
Not Jack

2-3 min per side for bonito is sacrilege. 30-60s on crazy hot coals, tops! Otherwise that recipe sounds great!
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Isn't bonito pretty strong? Never had it...
Not at all. It's great on the grill. As is, or with a little marinade. Atlantic bonito are a species of toothed mackerel, like wahoo, kings, or Spanish macks. Not a tuna.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #10
Mr. Sandman

I am in the smoker camp with bonito. It is good to eat on the grill but I don't rave about it like others do. The soy marinade is key you get a nice dark sear on the grill. I had some yesterday on the grill, it was very good. Use the left overs to make a bonito salad. (like tuna salad only better). My wife also makes bonito burgers served with an aole sauce of some kind. I don't know how she makes the burgers but they are addictive.

BTW that looks like a good basic recipe for smoking...IMO the key to a good smoke is the low temp and longer smoking period. I have never used a pellet smoker and I would be interested in seeing how it works. I didn't see much smoke when he opened it up. It looks more slow cooked than smoked to me. The best thing I liked in that video was the jam he put at the end...that is a good idea. I am going to try that. I run my smoker at 140-145 deg and depending on the thickness of the fillet anywhere between 3-6 hours. 2 hours is a light smoke. Just open it up after 2 hours and every 1/2 afterwards and check it...you'll know when it is done. Use alder or maple wood to smoke fish. IMO Mesquite is weird with fish. Hickory is a little overpowering and better with meat.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
bassballer

Awesome guys. Thanks. Gonna do a soy based marinade and grill to rare.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
I am in the smoker camp with bonito. It is good to eat on the grill but I don't rave about it like others do. The soy marinade is key you get a nice dark sear on the grill. I had some yesterday on the grill, it was very good. Use the left overs to make a bonito salad. (like tuna salad only better). My wife also makes bonito burgers served with an aole sauce of some kind. I don't know how she makes the burgers but they are addictive.

BTW that looks like a good basic recipe for smoking...IMO the key to a good smoke is the low temp and longer smoking period. I have never used a pellet smoker and I would be interested in seeing how it works. I didn't see much smoke when he opened it up. It looks more slow cooked than smoked to me. The best thing I liked in that video was the jam he put at the end...that is a good idea. I am going to try that. I run my smoker at 140-145 deg and depending on the thickness of the fillet anywhere between 3-6 hours. 2 hours is a light smoke. Just open it up after 2 hours and every 1/2 afterwards and check it...you'll know when it is done. Use alder or maple wood to smoke fish. IMO Mesquite is weird with fish. Hickory is a little overpowering and better with meat.
I agree with ya 100% but sometimes my smoker gets way to hot even with the air intake shut down...have to try and control how much charcoal I use.
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
bassballer

Ended up marinating some in veri veri teriyaki and grilling on high heat. Awesome ! Always prefer sashimi style but man it was good. Such an underrated fish.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
beamie

Have you tried it in a poke mix. Should be very good. Like this one http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/ahi-poke

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
bassballer

I made some maki tonight. Spicy bonito, bonito cucumber, bonito avocado pepper rings, and some sashimi.