Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
I'm not sure if I'd put that game into the "Classics" category. Good game but both teams had issues. That defensive call in OT by Pitt was ridiculous. How do let a WR run accross the field alone or covered one on one with no help in the middle? I'll give Denver credit though they run the ball over and over again so they set that play up perfectly. Tebow made a great throw and he caught the ball in stride which gave him the chance to out run the pursuit. Pitt fans must be livid on the call though from the coach. Tebow is good but the not the next coming of Elway. That win though probably bought him another year as starter. Let's hope we create a nice "Hostile" enviornment for him on Saturday!
That defense is a 1 on zero read for the QB. Also referred to as leaving the DB "on an island" with no safety help. And while the game may not go down as a classic, that play will immortalize Tebow. Going to be showing that every year....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Saltheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
That defense is a 1 on zero read for the QB. Also referred to as leaving the DB "on an island" with no safety help. And while the game may not go down as a classic, that play will immortalize Tebow. Going to be showing that every year....
Yep , thats one for the history books especially because it was also the first play of the first time the new playoff overtime rules were ever used..

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I certainly am no D Coordinator but how do you call that on the first play of OT? If Denver would have kicked a field goal on their first possesion would Pitt have gotten the ball? I'm not familar with the new OT rule. I actually like the way college does it better than the pros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshCappa View Post
I certainly am no D Coordinator but how do you call that on the first play of OT? If Denver would have kicked a field goal on their first possesion would Pitt have gotten the ball? I'm not familar with the new OT rule. I actually like the way college does it better than the pros.
Lebeau was figuring his DB could play it the way he would have in his playing days...
Charles Richard “#^&#^&#^&#^&” LeBeau (born September 9, 1937) is a National Football League Hall of Fame defensive back and football coach. He is currently the Pittsburgh Steelers' defensive coordinator and is considered to be one of the greatest defensive coordinators of all time. He spent 14 years in the NFL as a player with the Detroit Lions and is in his 37th year as a coach. Considered an “innovator” and “defensive football genius”, LeBeau created the "zone blitz" when he was defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals in the late 1980s.

On February 6, 2010, LeBeau was selected into the 2010 class of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The entire 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers team was in attendance at the induction ceremony

As for the playoff rule; if the Broncos had not scored the TD, and instead had kicked a FG, or not scored, Pitt would have a possession. If Broncos had kicked a FG and Pitt did not score, game over. If Pitt scores a TD after a Bronco FG or no score on their possession, game over. If Pitt kicks a FG to tie, or a no score tie, it would go to sudden death with Pitt kicking off.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

But back to the Tebow discussion... I liked him as a college QB at Florida. He could get away without being accurate with his passes. But given the choice of young QBs, I would take Cam Newton over him hands down every day of the week. Better passer, and a run threat too. But in this pass happy NFL, with so many rules protecting QBs and receivers, I would give the young gun nod to the kid in Detroit, Matthew Stafford. That kid is going to be the stud when the class of Brady, Brees and Rodgers are gone.