Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #31
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow eddie View Post
one must feel a little sorry for a person with an autograph pic of al davis in the abode.
dwight evans, defense
jim rice, offense
how many people have you ever heard of who broke his bat on a check-swing??
Eddie....Jim Rice once homered on a check swing in Spring Training....FACT!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #32
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Eddie....Jim Rice once homered on a check swing in Spring Training....FACT!
He was (in my best Boston accent) wicked strong.

True story - I once saw him drive the green on a par 5 and putt for double eagle. He missed the putt, but still eagled the hole.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #33
FishermanTim

Here's my one "true story" involving Jim Rice.

I had gone to a game with my girlfiriend and the Sox were down by a run with 2 out in the ninth, and Rice was up. He wasn't hitting like the Rice of old, but he could still produce on occaision.

Now bear with me - Coors Beer used to have a commercial during the late 80's that showed in one scene a couple leaving a ballgame (similar to the bleachers) and turning around when they hear the crowd roar.

My girl and I decided to leave because we didn't think Rice was going to do anything, since he had had one of those kinds of games, and as we were walking down the stairwell from the centerfield bleachers we heard the crack of the bat, the roar of the crowd and we, too, turned around and went back to our seats. Rice had tied the game with a solo homer, and the sox went on to win the game.

That's one of my most memorable times at Fenway.
Another was when we tossed Bob Stanley an ice cream bar (during a really hot day). We were sitting in dead-center field, first row, so we could see into the bullpen. We got his attention and asked if he would like something cold, and ice cream it was!

Oh, the good old days at Fenway, when every year was "The Year" they were going to go all the way.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #34
Saltheart

For players I have seen , Yaz , best all around player for the Sox. That guy could play the field as good as any and yet he was known as a hitter. Golden Glove , Tripple Crown. YAZ!

Current team , tough call , so many close , nice to have so many consistant contributors. I guess I am impressed that Bay came in here and made us a happy Manny was gone. I also like Elsbury and Pedroia and have a soft spot for Poppy even though he's not doing so well this year.

can they win it all...HELL YEAH!!!!!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote