Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-23-2023, 09:18 AM   #1
Nebe

i blame it all on the cost of living. Things started going to #^&#^&#^&#^& when it took 2 parents working 2 full time jobs to support a family. Before this happened and 1 parent would be the stay at home parent, children were given the love and support needed to become a functioning adult.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:16 AM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
i blame it all on the cost of living. Things started going to #^&#^&#^&#^& when it took 2 parents working 2 full time jobs to support a family. Before this happened and 1 parent would be the stay at home parent, children were given the love and support needed to become a functioning adult.
There is a lot to be said on that point, kids with two parents working just don’t have the structure, guidance, rules, work ethic, civility, discipline, honesty, the list of what is lacking just by observing the youth of today out and about is disturbing.

Guns are also just to available, US is a special kind of place, but at the same time a dangerous place in certain communities, celebrations and gathering places. Growing up my parents never locked our doors during the day, we all came and went without giving security a second thought.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:52 PM   #3
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
There is a lot to be said on that point, kids with two parents working just don’t have the structure, guidance, rules, work ethic, civility, discipline, honesty, the list of what is lacking just by observing the youth of today out and about is disturbing.

Guns are also just to available, US is a special kind of place, but at the same time a dangerous place in certain communities, celebrations and gathering places. Growing up my parents never locked our doors during the day, we all came and went without giving security a second thought.
Yep. and then you give the kids an XBox loaded with first person shooter games and let them watch violent movies like John Wick and the seed will start to germinate. Of course all seeds dont grow into a tree, so lets say one kid in a few million go down the road of confusing fantasy with reality. I am not Pro gun, nor am I anti Gun.. But I sure am Pro-mental health. Sometimes the knee jerk reaction is a 2 dimensional solution where you should really be looking at things in a broader spectrum. Would we Ban fishing poles if there was a mass poaching event? No we would look at the underlying issues of why its happening.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:31 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Would we Ban fishing poles if there was a mass poaching event? No we would look at the underlying issues of why its happening.
exactly.

it’s guns, it’s our sick and broken culture, it’s what we bombard our kids with ( movies and video games), it’s lack of good dads, lack of faith, lack of love

The two sides focus only on what’s politicallly convenient to them, and nothing improves.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:29 PM   #5
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
exactly.

it’s guns, it’s our sick and broken culture, it’s what we bombard our kids with ( movies and video games), it’s lack of good dads, lack of faith, lack of love

The two sides focus only on what’s politicallly convenient to them, and nothing improves.
What i wonder is if we are all force fed anti and pro gun propaganda after shootings to distract us from addressing the root of the problem. The capitalist flywheels must keep turning and maybe the truth would slow that down.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
What i wonder is if we are all force fed anti and pro gun propaganda after shootings to distract us from addressing the root of the problem. The capitalist flywheels must keep turning and maybe the truth would slow that down.
Each side knows what script to read from when bad things happen. 99% of it is BS. The right refuses to discuss the role guns play, the left refuses to discuss the role that cultural decay plays.

All of us, both sides, need to re-think what kind of politicians we want representing us.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:43 PM   #7
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Each side knows what script to read from when bad things happen. 99% of it is BS. The right refuses to discuss the role guns play, the left refuses to discuss the role that cultural decay plays.

All of us, both sides, need to re-think what kind of politicians we want representing us.
And yet I am sure there are millions of people who are cheering for Santos right now.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:23 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
you will never say anything i agree with, more then this. I know plenty of kids who spent 45 hours a week in daycare who turned out fantastic, and obviously there are lousy stay-at-home parents, nothing is guaranteed. But we allowed the needle to move away from what is the healthiest way for most kids to grow up. I don’t think one in ten of my kids’ friends, had a stay at home parent full time.