Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 04-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #61
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by macojoe View Post
Thats what I said!! He payed $9k for it 4 years ago, he getting more then what he paid for it.

I paid 9 k for my taco 4 years ago as well.. My truck is gold though.. runs great, its payed for.. zero body rust.. I peeked at the frame- it looked fine to me, but that kind of return is tempting.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:43 AM   #62
Tattoo

I had a '97 with 157K miles on it, and the truck was used and abused.

I bought the truck in '99 for $10,700 and Toyota gave me $9200 in trade for it.

I walked away with a 2007 V6 Access Cab with 11K miles for $14K!!

Even if you don't want to get another vehicle, you might want to really think about it. Chances are inspection stations will be well aware of this situation and fail inspections because of it. Then you have a vehicle thats essentialy worthless and you have to sink a few grand into to resolve the frame rot issue.
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:50 AM   #63
1dozenraw

Is there a dead-line? I'd like to keep mine until mowing season is over, then I can take my time looking for a replacement. I'd also like to drive it back home and remove the heavy tow bumper I had made and the bed liner. I guess I'll just have to call and find out the details. I'd do it in a hearbeat if I knew they could locate me another 4 cylinder Tacoma, maybe pre 1995 or a 2001-2. I don't want the payments on a new truck... no way.
1dozenraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #64
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Talking

After you receive the offer and you've negotiated the price on a new yota. Remind them that they should offer you the 1,000.00 toyota customer loyalty bonus

Got my offer already driving a 2008 v8 tundra 4dr fully loaded unlimited mileage on their dime until I find somethingThing rides like a towncar it had 21 miles when they gave it to me

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #65
Sluggoslinger

Too bad this didn't cover the 4runner, my 99 is a rust bucket, needs new breaks and just had a flat tire... she's ready for a replacement
Sluggoslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #66
Jenn

[QUOTE=1dozenraw;585034]Is there a dead-line?QUOTE]

I am not 100% positive on this but I thought I heard something about they were extending the warr. on the frame to 15 years so I would imagine you still have some time.

I never received a letter either...glad I heard it here. Sorry I didnt look at it myself a month ago and I had been riding on it the way it was. It was pretty bad. Especially knowing I did a lot of highway to VT & NH this winter with it and a load in the back.....

Anyway I brought the truck in Monday and have not heard from Yota yet. Anyone know about how long they take to contact you?

All in all I like Toyota and will buy again. It is pretty amazing what they are doing for those effected. Between the buyback $$ and the free loaners (for a month!!) I would say thats pretty darn decent!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #67
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

jenn,
contact the company that is handleing that for toyota and let them you your deal and that youve yet to hear back. That'll light a fire under them 866-799-4948

Old 04-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #68
cheferson

They are buying them at 1.5x excellent ,retail kelly blue book value, right??? Bringing mine in tomorrow!!!!
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #69
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

1.5 kelly blue book in excellent condition. and if you buy from toyota remember to ask for 1000.00 toyota loyalty bonus. So it should work out to 1.5 times kelly blue book + 1k$.

If they find something wrong with your vehicle they'll give you one on their dime for 30 days unlimited mileage until you get your offer and new vehicle sorted out. You will not be obligated to the dealer you take your vehicle to in any way. So if they give you the rental etc for 30 days and a dealership in ct has the truck you want you dont have to buy from the dealer you took your truck into.

You bring your truck in they inspect it. They find something wrong, they give you the rental. You get an offer from toyota in the mail, they'll usually call you first and fill you in, you send them in a copy of your reg etc and they then mail you an offer letter. Once you sign and return th eoffer letter they appoint an agent to meet you where you dropped off your yota whatever dealership etc. At that time the agent presents you with your payoff check for the vehicle and you transfer ownership, thats your last chance to grab any cd's etc out of your vehicle. When they give you the check you sign the ownership transfer papers grab your plates etc..

The best I can figure out of this is that if you were in the position to trade in your vehicle youre going to get waaay more than you would in as a standard trade in value etc. 10-12k goes a good way towards the purchase of a new vehicle close to half off in some cases once you negotiate a price. Tne $ goes agood way towards a used certified vehicle also so you can basically jump from a 2k to a 2k5 - 2k4 for 3-6k depending. A final option would be to take your payoff money and buy something else outright through a private seller etc for less than your offer and bank the remainder of the dough. But with the personal seller you dont get the warrantees or certified used vehicles. Theres lots of options to this and you have to go with what works for ya

btw v8 4 door tundra rides like a lincoln towncar and waay more comfy. THing will pas anything but a gas station though..

Last edited by ThrowingTimber; 04-27-2008 at 11:49 AM..

Old 04-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #70
cheferson

excellent!! SHould be getting $7650(+1,000 if i buy from them) for a truck i paid $3200 for over a year ago!!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #71
MotoXcowboy

Yup, I am a mechanic at a Yota dealership. We have about 60 frame rot tacos in our lot now. Starting to lose parking space!
MotoXcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #72
Vermonter

Quote:
My buddy just got told he got the news today they are going to give him $11,200 for his 1997.

Everyone I know up this way(3-4 people at this point) have all been offered 11,000 or just over for their Tacomas.
Vermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #73
Ake G

must be why Portsmouth encouraged me to drive mine back home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXcowboy View Post
Yup, I am a mechanic at a Yota dealership. We have about 60 frame rot tacos in our lot now. Starting to lose parking space!
Ake G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #74
MotoXcowboy

I doubt it. where i work if your frame fails you have to sign a waiver to take vehicle off the property. To much of a liability. If frames pass where I work, service manager tells customer frame is okay for now and to come back in a year to have re-inspected.
MotoXcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #75
cheferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXcowboy View Post
That explains why its a month wait for an appointment there
Old 04-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #76
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
And hope you are not in the market for a new or used Tacoma cause the prices are going up and they are getting hard to find!!

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #77
Jenn

Just got the call today $10,200 for my '98 single cab 4 cyc STD with no frills whatsoever....Not bad since I paid half that over 2 years ago but it seems I now cant replace it for less than what I am getting from yota.....go figure.....

Simplify.......
Old 04-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #78
Jenn

Quote:
And hope you are not in the market for a new or used Tacoma cause the prices are going up and they are getting hard to find!!
exactly my point.....

I loved my truck and everything (minus the frame of course) was in great shape....

Simplify.......
Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 AM   #79
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
Yea Karl, but that 99 is part if the recall!! 95 to 2000

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #80
cheferson

$7650 for a 98 with 157000, no options, 4 bald tires, a rusted hood w/6 inch hole , roof is rusting out and leaking , and a cracked exhaust. That i paid 3k for 1.5 years ago!!! Now i gotta figure out what the hell im gonna do. And $50 per a day torwards a rental truck till i get my check!!! CHA-CHING!!!!

Last edited by cheferson; 04-29-2008 at 09:37 PM..
Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #81
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Add $4000 to that check and you can buy a fine, solid, full size truck, with a solid frame (mine)

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #82
cheferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Add $4000 to that check and you can buy a fine, solid, full size truck, with a solid frame (mine)
Not with gas pushing $4, considering a getting a car.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #83
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheferson View Post
Not with gas pushing $4, considering a getting a car.
I am too, a car for work, and the truck for play...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #84
zacs
D'oh

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #85
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheferson View Post
$7650 for a 98 with 157000, no options, 4 bald tires, a rusted hood w/6 inch hole , roof is rusting out and leaking , and a cracked exhaust. That i paid 3k for 1.5 years ago!!! Now i gotta figure out what the hell im gonna do. And $50 per a day torwards a rental truck till i get my check!!! CHA-CHING!!!!
Cheferson....I think you may have gotten a bum deal....I got completely FREE loaner with unlimited mileage until I get my check.... I would look into it....then again 50$ per day may cover the rental.... I dont know because I have never rented a car and couldnt tell you what it would cost if my life depended on it!!!!

Simplify.......
Old 05-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #86
1dozenraw

Just an update... mine (2000, 4x2, extra cab) passed. Said it had no problem. I did check and was told that I can bring it in each year until 2015 to be re-inspected and it will be bought back if the frame starts to go. I think I am glad not to have to find another truck. I have been watching for good used 4 cylinder Toyotas and a couple of other brands and there are not many out there that looked good and reasonably priced. So, all in all, I'm pleased and happy that I'm covered in the future.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #87
fishsmith
DDG-51

2 guys at work got this deal,

one had a 1999 4x4 V6 xtra cab w/220K miles and got just shy $12K,

another guy had a '99 p/u with 189K mi and got $9K.

both are getting new yota's for < $13K.

It's a tough deal to passup.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:21 AM   #88
1dozenraw

Yeah... if I had any thoughts or desire to buy a new one, I'd be crying because it is a great opportunity. But, in my case, I have driven for 18 years and spent a total of $8000 on my trucks in that time. I use them for work and beat the crap out of them, so buying a new one makes zero sense. besides, I don't buy stuff that I have to make payments on.

But, I'm sure I could have pocketed a few grand if they had made the deal and my frame was bad. Oh well... I'm ok with it.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #89
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

found an 07 fj with 15k for mileage. Sweet price with the buy back it would be short dough. one problem only takes premium gas.

Found an 05 4 door taco same color as my old one fully loaded 15k for mileage full bumper to bumper til 100k on the odometer. Roadside assistance etc. frame is warranteed til 2020 crushed them on their price, financed not through them got a better rate on a short dough loan with no pre payment penalty I'm going to pull the trigger.

I guess theres a guy in maine who's turned in 32. Basically the way toyota has it setup is that as long as the vehicle is registered to you its fair game for buy back if it flunks inspection. Whats a reg cost? 40-80 bux? 2k for a beater. trade in for 9-12k. Dudes making excellent dough in his investment.... Thats pure genius in action right there...

Im pretty set on the 05 taco. so I made out with, driving my old taco free for 4 yrs. They gave me close to 3k more than I paid for my old taco when I initially purchased it. So I drove it for nothin' just gas maint. and insurance for 4 yrs. And I'm getting into a vehicle thats 5 yrs newer for short dough. Good deal

Old 05-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #90
eastendlu

Congrats Vic ,now all you have to do is fillet a couple of bass on the tailgate to give it some mojo!
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote