Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 01-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Angry flooded basement

4 freakin degrees this AM and we're cleaning up from a flooded basement last night. Bulkhead steps are all ice now from carrying out rugs and 20 years worth of crap that got soaked on the floor. Most stuff is up and dry but plenty of wet stuff useless crap mostly but some good stuff. I just put in a new water filter to stop the disgusting brown Middleboro water from wrecking my tub and water heaters and it was fine all weekend untill 1AM when Danny woke us up telling us the basement is flooded, water squiting out the new water filter I did nothing wrong, the thing just started leaking on it's own. At 75 pounds of pressure it wasn't long before most of the 60' of basement was covered. We are about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way thru but the large heavy rugs are gonna be a bear to get out so maybe I'll just cut them up.
All this crap is gonna be one big frozen pile of crap out back by my bulkhead, oh joy

so much for work today
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

ya what's my ins. co. gonna do? raise my rates or drop me? not worth it, they are raping me anyway. if they sent someone here to clean it up and haul away, maybe it would be worth the 500 deductable but I have no intention of hitting them with this mess. The place I bought it from gave me no satisfaction, they said they'd replace it if I bring it back, whoopee.

the manufacturer will be hearing from me.

after spending most of the day friday installing this thing with my wife's uncle who is a plumber, I really don't need this chit on Monday
Old 01-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

if you need a hand give me a call I'm home till 3:15. sorry. I hate forced cleaning of the basement.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
PaulS

sorry to hear that.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Thanks guys
just venting a little
what a long day, got my cardio workout for a few days I guess.

Karl, oh ya, I forgot that was a nice surprise. You
are much too kind THANKS!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Sea Dangles

Make sure you get some fans on that Bruce. 75 lbs. of pressure might be too much for the fitting. Makes for a nice hot shower though.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Slipknot
Super Moderator

ya Chris, 2 fans running and 2 dehumidifiers also.

the company said it would handle up to 125 psi
my pressure reducing valve can be turned down a bit I guess but they said pressure should not have been a problem at all, the fittings are fine, I think it's a connection thing how the filter fits into and locks in the housing.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Jenn

on the bright side of this it will force you to throw away a bunch of stuff you probably dont use anymore! HA!HA! Seriously we had a basement water issue and had to do this. After I got over being peesed I realized that it forced me to clean up my act (meaning clean out a bunch of crap!)

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
ya what's my ins. co. gonna do? raise my rates or drop me? not worth it, they are raping me anyway. if they sent someone here to clean it up and haul away, maybe it would be worth the 500 deductable but I have no intention of hitting them with this mess. The place I bought it from gave me no satisfaction, they said they'd replace it if I bring it back, whoopee.

the manufacturer will be hearing from me.

after spending most of the day friday installing this thing with my wife's uncle who is a plumber, I really don't need this chit on Monday
Not for nothing but if what you bought and installed was less than a year old your insurance company will go after the manufacturer. You should at least call Bruce.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Unhappy

Oh man Slip, ranks up there in the top 5 worst jobs.

You may want to talk to your ins. agent as to wether or not it would increase your premiums.
It may not if you haven't put in any previous claims.

Then again, you might want to save it in the event you end up with a mold problem.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
MAC

Sorry to hear that Bruce. Flooding sux. Especially this time of year.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
HABSJR

Sorry to hear about that
HABSJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
fishaholic18
Finally

Sorry bout that crap Bruce..Good luck, but thats what ins. is for... They wouldn't have raised your rates for one claim.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I'd call em B. I have made lost of claims over the years and my ins. has never gone up. Just last year I got a few thousand when that tree came down and totaled my babysitters car. No noticeable increase in my ins. bill other that the the normal yearly increase. Worth a shot IMO. good luck.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
gone fishin

Bruce sorry to hear the nightmare. Flooding sucks especially when you installed the filter to solve a problem. I hope you didn't have any tools destroyed.

What brand filter was it? I had one go at the seam. The fitting was screwed in too tight. I was lucky, it went when I was changing the cartridge.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:02 AM   #16
buckman

I do deal with this every day. Call your ins. company. They will send an adjuster, most are very fair and you will be surprised.Your rates wil not change. Big mistake not to put in a claim. You pay for it, use it.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
Slipknot
Super Moderator

No tools damaged, just lost some rugs and a bunch of crap that wasn't any good anyway, along with time lost for me and the wife cleaning up and hauling rugs and junk away to the dump.
I looked into putting a claim in with the company and would need to provide copy of receipt,2 estimates to repair damage, any photos etc. along with the unit that may be defective. Then 4-6 weeks later they determine if I will get anything. Sounds like a waste of time to me. Maybe I will do it I don't know.
I did tell my ins. agent but it was all cleaned up by the time he called me back.

this is the unit http://www.aquapure.com/sysproducts/big9023.html

I thought I was getting something good.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #18
gone fishin

Bummer on the lost time. Hope you are busy, I have been scrounging for work and the two Mill shops I use are DEAD. This economy sucks.
I agree with you on the claim bit, especially if you carry any liability or business insurance with the carrier. It usually costs you more than the loss in the long run.
The filter I lost was an Omni whole house. I have two of them in-line. One with sediment filter and one with charcoal. I fed only the kitchen supply. That way I get more life from the filters. I didn't have any issue with discoloration, just sediment and taste.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #19
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Hope the kids earned some allowance...

This sucks Bruce.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote