Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
"World"? You mean like Africa, Mexico, and South and Central America too. Check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...Europe_by_year
Wow staggering three mass shootings in Europe this year, limited deaths in comparison to the 40+ in the US this year, I think you might have embarrassed yourself with that nugget.

I don’t think anyone can argue the mental health aspect of this problem is a big part, but there is no way to track or even predict who might snap, even if no previous evidence exists. Access to guns and especially high powered assault style weapons, in addition to the millions of stolen, illegal and now ghost guns is the bigger problem.

I get the constitutional 2A argument, but when that was written consider arms were basically on an even footing. I doubt the intent was to have the ability to arm yourself with anything, when the next lethal weapon of war is developed, does any citizen have the right to arm up if his neighbors are?
Old 05-25-2022, 12:30 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I get the constitutional 2A argument, but when that was written consider arms were basically on an even footing. I doubt the intent was to have the ability to arm yourself with anything, when the next lethal weapon of war is developed, does any citizen have the right to arm up if his neighbors are?
So do we let the president or congress disregard the parts of the constitution they don't happen to like? I don't disagree with you in theory, but if we let Biden decide which parts of the constitution he can ignore, say Trump wins again in 2024, are you comfortable letting Trump decide which parts of the constitution he can ignore?

There are also 100 million (/) guns out there. Tougher gun laws aren't going to involve confiscating them.

Doesn't mean we don't try to do something, but both sides need to be more honest, less partisan, about the components of the problem, and the pros and cons of solutions.

And I'd love to see a study that shows how many Americans are killed in these random mass shootings versus killed in garden variety gun violence, and how much media coverage each tragedy gets.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 05-25-2022 at 01:07 PM..
Old 05-25-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Wow staggering three mass shootings in Europe this year, limited deaths in comparison to the 40+ in the US this year, I think you might have embarrassed yourself with that nugget.
So in 2021 there were seven mass shootings in Europe--33 killed and 79 injured. Are those acceptable numbers? Would 40 dead and 100 injured be acceptable? Would 50 dead and 110 injured be an acceptable number for mass shootings in the U.S. Would guns not be a problem with those numbers.

What is the acceptable number of deaths and injures from mass shootings in the U.S. below which guns would not be the problem and above which they would be the problem?

My response was to Pete F in which he quoted "world" as saying "We don't have mass shootings."

That is blatantly false, as my response showed. And in other parts of the world, such as Africa and the Americas south of our border, the numbers are worse than ours.

So, what's the magic number of deaths and injuries at which we will be OK with guns, and above which guns are the culprit?
Old 05-25-2022, 02:10 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
So in 2021 there were seven mass shootings in Europe--33 killed and 79 injured. Are those acceptable numbers? Would 40 dead and 100 injured be acceptable? Would 50 dead and 110 injured be an acceptable number for mass shootings in the U.S. Would guns not be a problem with those numbers.

What is the acceptable number of deaths and injures from mass shootings in the U.S. below which guns would not be the problem and above which they would be the problem?

My response was to Pete F in which he quoted "world" as saying "We don't have mass shootings."

That is blatantly false, as my response showed. And in other parts of the world, such as Africa and the Americas south of our border, the numbers are worse than ours.

So, what's the magic number of deaths and injuries at which we will be OK with guns, and above which guns are the culprit?
One could say it’s roughly the same as abortions
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-25-2022, 02:26 PM   #5
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

Nobody believes (or at least I don’t) no mass shootings happen elsewhere, but it really is unique to the US in terms of the numbers, we are well over 200 deaths for the year. Way too many guns and way to easy for anyone to get their hands on one. Both sides of the isle really need to figure this out or this disconnected society will continue to kill our own children.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:12 PM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Nobody believes (or at least I don’t) no mass shootings happen elsewhere, but it really is unique to the US in terms of the numbers, we are well over 200 deaths for the year. Way too many guns and way to easy for anyone to get their hands on one. Both sides of the isle really need to figure this out or this disconnected society will continue to kill our own children.
Do you have a number above which guns are the problem and below which guns are not the problem?