Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I love the outrage. I was taught to stand, hand over heart, hat off. I look around at events and half the crowd is holding a beer, hat on, scratching their balls, talking etc.. o bet half of that crowd is now outraged... I agree this was a minor issue Trump stirred up into a major fu by the players..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I actually was a fb game yesterday and I noticed more people were being quiet, hand over heart than other games. Prob. bc they were conscious of the controversy.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I love the outrage. I was taught to stand, hand over heart, hat off. I look around at events and half the crowd is holding a beer, hat on, scratching their balls, talking etc.. o bet half of that crowd is now outraged... I agree this was a minor issue Trump stirred up into a major fu by the players..
Now if Trump could muster the same outrage for Nazis as he does for peaceful protests ... Doubt it.. his base wont allow it
Old 09-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Now if Trump could muster the same outrage for Nazis as he does for peaceful protests ... Doubt it.. his base wont allow it
Yes, legal US citizens who are Nazis, that actually acquired a permit for assembly became violent, when confronted by ANTIFA and BLM who did not have required permits.

Some Americans are Nazis, some are racists, and hell some are even witches and warlocks and they ALL have the same rights to free speech as anyone else.

But back to the topic at hand... the NFL is making a HUGE mistake on this. Best reply should have been similar to what they said about the request to honor police with the small badge on the uniform. "We are sorry but these items on uniforms or protests are not allowed on the work site". There is a time and a place for this and it is not on the NFL's work site.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:23 AM   #4
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
Yes, legal US citizens who are Nazis, that actually acquired a permit for assembly became violent, when confronted by ANTIFA and BLM who did not have required permits.

Some Americans are Nazis, some are racists, and hell some are even witches and warlocks and they ALL have the same rights to free speech as anyone else.

But back to the topic at hand... the NFL is making a HUGE mistake on this. Best reply should have been similar to what they said about the request to honor police with the small badge on the uniform. "We are sorry but these items on uniforms or protests are not allowed on the work site". There is a time and a place for this and it is not on the NFL's work site.

I made that argument "Stop it legally put a clause in all of their contracts when on the field they are on the clock . do it and get fired make it a condition of employment For all the players .." but no one wants to frame it this way. to include the POTUS

This protest is a direct result of Trump: "Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. He is fired. He's fired!'" Nationalism hidden behind patriotism

The flag the disrespect of the military arguments are just camouflage

Trump cant say its not about Race when Blacks are the 99.9 of those who took a knee ..

Last edited by wdmso; 09-26-2017 at 03:34 AM..
Old 09-26-2017, 03:33 AM   #5
scottw

I'm trying to figure out why they are are taking a knee.....that is a submissive posture....this is supposedly a defiant act....especially if you believe this is now all about Trump..you express your defiance by 'kneeling"?....I think they have their symbolism all messed up....but we know there's rampant brain damage in the NFL

ooooh...maybe they should all do that throat slash gesture thingy....now that would be "defiant".....wait....noooo....they would get fined and maybe suspended by the NFL for doing that

turns out the greatest, most effective Saul Alynskiite community organizer of our time is Donald Trump

Last edited by scottw; 09-26-2017 at 05:07 AM..
Old 09-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I made that argument "Stop it legally put a clause in all of their contracts when on the field they are on the clock . do it and get fired make it a condition of employment For all the players .." but no one wants to frame it this way. to include the POTUS

This protest is a direct result of Trump: "Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. He is fired. He's fired!'" Nationalism hidden behind patriotism

The flag the disrespect of the military arguments are just camouflage

Trump cant say its not about Race when Blacks are the 99.9 of those who took a knee ..
It IS in their contract, its called the Personal Conduct Policy. The NFL has suspended/fined many a player for violations of the policy. Its a catch-all that they use quite frequently. The NFL has decided not to use it here. So since they are deciding to let them protest in this manner, they get to deal with any and all fallout from it.

and believe it or not, people actually DO appreciate what the men/women serving do. It is not "Camouflage", it truly is pissing people off, and that certainly isn't going to garner any sympathy for their cause.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
N F L
No Fans Left

League is digging their own grave.
F*** them.
Watch as the ratings continue to drop and eventually sponsors pull out.
I know I'm done watching !
Old 09-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
N F L
No Fans Left

League is digging their own grave.
F*** them.
Watch as the ratings continue to drop and eventually sponsors pull out.
I know I'm done watching !
110% agree. I was all set to watch the Pats yesterday and after the anthem I shut the tv off tossed the remote on the floor and walked outside to split firewood and then painted the back deck. Actually texted my friend that I hoped "lobster claw" hit Brady extra hard and that the Pats would lose for their kneeling crap.

This is the GD Patriots! This team represents America, the Minutemen and the founding of our great country and they go out and disrespect the anthem and flag! I hope the Cowboys do as the owner says and stand together. If the Patriots can't be freaking patriots, then I hope the Cowboys can be America's Team.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #9
PaulS

Liberalism has taken many people out of poverty. There I answered it. You should move to one of the big cities you hate and run for Mayor on your position that blacks are too stupid to understand that liberals keep them under their thump and that you are smart enough to know that.

Did you figure out the word meant by your bringing up Ben Shapiro? I'm wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes bc as I've said to you repeatedly - you are what you hate.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Liberalism has taken many people out of poverty. There I answered it. You should move to one of the big cities you hate and run for Mayor on your position that blacks are too stupid to understand that liberals keep them under their thump and that you are smart enough to know that.

Did you figure out the word meant by your bringing up Ben Shapiro? I'm wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes bc as I've said to you repeatedly - you are what you hate.
"Liberalism has taken many people out of poverty. There I answered it"

Not even close to answering the question I asked. You had two tries, you aren't going to do it, let's drop it, I will let you off the hook.

"You should move to one of the big cities you hate"
Yes, I will run out and move my young boys from the suburbs to Hartford.

"run for Mayor on your position that blacks are too stupid to understand that liberals keep them under their thump and that you are smart enough to know that. "

No, no, I aid liberals are too stupid to see when their policies don't work. You live in CT, right? Well our state government, every 2 years, thinks that the way to prosperity is to borrow more, tax more, and spend more. It never, ever works. Yet two years later, all the liberals say that THIS time, by golly, tax hikes are sure to work.

If that's not stupidity, I don't know what is. Kind of like protesting police brutality (which doesn't exist in any institutional level to begin with) by kneeling during our national anthem, in a time of war.

Common sense problem solving, Paul. You solve a problem by addressing the cause of the problem. The cause of most black murders, the huge majority of them, is violence at the hands of other blacks. Liberals can't say that out loud God knows, so they focus on white cops, which as a group, obviously save more lives than they take (though, of course, 1 murderous cop is too many). The cause of black poverty isn't a lack of money (that's a symptom, not a cause), the cause is poor life choices made by blacks, often life choices that blacks are incentivized to make, thanks to liberalism (more babies = more welfare, no father around = more welfare).. But liberals can't say that out loud either, so they blame the evils of capitalism. See the pattern?

You solve a problem by attacking the cause, and that's whether or not the cause happens to serve one's political agenda. Conservatives get that, liberals don't. I have seen the wonders that liberalism has brought to Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport for 40 years, and I'm not impressed. If you can look at those cities, and conclude "what we need here, is more of the same policies that got us here", then you are either not that bright, or you are a serious racist.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-25-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Old 09-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Kind of like protesting police brutality (which doesn't exist in any institutional level to begin with) by kneeling during our national anthem, in a time of war.
.....on National Gold Star Mother's Day.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
.....on National Gold Star Mother's Day.
It's so stupid, and so thoughtless, I'm not sure where to begin. If you don't like Trump, make a sign, or work on the Democrat campaign for whatever Mao-ist totalitarian nutjob they decide to run in 2020. Kneeling during the anthem?

Every sane person knows these jerks have the legal right to this kind of protest. But if they choose to do it at work, the Bill Of Rights doesn't mean the employer is precluded from taking action.

I have the right to walk around in a speedo. If I am a lawyer, and I dress like that in court, it is not a violation of my civil rights if my employer cans me.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #13
basswipe

Screw the NFL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22008372_10215149226142711_7853532188347582569_n.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	64568  
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #14
detbuch

Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Well it certainly looks like Ben Roethlisberger know what the anthem represents, as well as him mentioning other team mates and teams knowing what it means too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BenTweet.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	64575  

Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #17
PaulS

The fact that the Cowboys & Jerry Jones kneeled BEFORE that anthem & people still booed proves that the anger was never about the flag.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
The fact that the Cowboys & Jerry Jones kneeled BEFORE that anthem & people still booed proves that the anger was never about the flag.
Was anybody on the Cardinals kneeling during the anthem? pretty sure there were two teams out there.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #19
PaulS

Quote:
Was anybody on the Cardinals kneeling during the anthem? pretty sure there were two teams out there.
I read that there wasn't. They stood for the anthem.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #20
scottw

Quote:
so the home team Cardinals fans booed the visiting Cowboys????...so it ain't so !#@!???
Old 09-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
so the home team Cardinals fans booed the visiting Cowboys????...so it ain't so !#@!???
Yeah, I just noticed they played at Arizona. So they all took a Knee, including the loveable Jerry Jones. And they came out and kneeled, which got the fans all riled up, then suddenly stood up.....and magically 60,000+ are just gonna stop booing the cowboys....

Well I'm Sold

Old 09-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yeah, I just noticed they played at Arizona. So they all took a Knee, including the loveable Jerry Jones. And they came out and kneeled, which got the fans all riled up, then suddenly stood up.....and magically 60,000+ are just gonna stop booing the cowboys....

Well I'm Sold
I'm very curious to see what happens next weekend. I hope there are massive boycotts, I expect tiny boycotts.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #23
detbuch

This thread is stuck on stupid.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:35 AM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I'd like to disagree, but.....

Old 09-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #25
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
For sure, hurricane devastation and Kim threatening EMP detonation or that we declared war on them and all everyone seems to be talking about is the NFL. Read a disturbing article on what the likely impact of any country attacking us with an EMP detonation and that was a very scary reality. Might be the only people smiling after that would be the survivalists, people with self contained water and solar power and an old style ham radio tower.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #26
PaulS

Isn't there a flag code or something similar about how to display the flag.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #27
scottw

Quote:
probably for an actual flag...you could Google that or something(I know..."snarky")....if burning an actual flag is an acceptable form of free speech and expression and anger I suppose wearing a likeness of the flag on a tee shirt or bikini as an expression of pride must be too right???.....

Last edited by scottw; 09-30-2017 at 11:48 AM..
Old 09-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #28
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
probably for an actual flag...you could Google that or something(I know..."snarky")....if burning an actual flag is an acceptable form of free speech and expression and anger I suppose wearing a likeness of the flag on a tee shirt or bikini as an expression of pride must be too right???.....
Actually I don't think that response is snarky. I don't think burning a flag while an expression of free speech would be an expression of pride.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #29
scottw

Quote:

I don't think burning a flag while an expression of free speech would be an expression of pride.

that's a relief...do you have a problem with people wearing versions of it on clothing etc. as an expression of free speech and pride?...or is it just a Palin thing?

Last edited by scottw; 09-30-2017 at 01:47 PM..
Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #30
wdmso

Quote:
4 U.S. Code § 8 - Respect for flag
US Code
Notes
prev | next
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
(Added Pub. L. 105–225, § 2(a), Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1497.)

Kneeling is not listed