Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
niko

frying a turkey

bought a second bird to do in the fryer. couple of questions. is peanut oil that much better? and what should i inject it with for marinade or use as a rub, and where can i get them tomorrow

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
bought a second bird to do in the fryer. couple of questions. is peanut oil that much better? and what should i inject it with for marinade or use as a rub, and where can i get them tomorrow
Peanut oil is really that much better.Unfortunately I can't have any peanut related products in my home,death could result.

No rub or injection needed.Brine it for at least 24hrs in advance,fry and then enjoy.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Paul,
Bass pro has everything you need. Also make sure it is thawed and not wet. You can get pretty banged up if the bird isn't thawed and it is wet.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
JamesJet

rub

If you do go with a rub it really makes a difference on how the skin tastes. Either way dry it then let it air dry from your brining-its safer and will help the skin which will come out sinfully good. I personally always dry rub it after brining and drying with a rub that has less salt content than one would ussually use. I have also just used a regular dry rub over and under the skin and it came out well. Cut the extra fat from around teh cavities - this helps it drain and cook.

Also remember it doesnt take much time - depending on your bird maybe 35-45 minutes total plus some resting time.

One personal tip is I put the bird while still wrapped into the empty pan. Fill the pan with water intil you have enough to cover and then take out the turkey - note the level of the water. Thats how much oil to use. Obviously this is a day ahead of time and you'll dump the water, and dry it before filling with oil. Overfilling with oil as well as a wet bird or a shaky drop are three major reasons for disaster which are all avoidable.

And this really is not a job to do after a few drinks as far as I am concerned.
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJet View Post
One personal tip is I put the bird while still wrapped into the empty pan. Fill the pan with water intil you have enough to cover and then take out the turkey - note the level of the water. Thats how much oil to use. Obviously this is a day ahead of time and you'll dump the water, and dry it before filling with oil. Overfilling with oil as well as a wet bird or a shaky drop are three major reasons for disaster which are all avoidable.

And this really is not a job to do after a few drinks as far as I am concerned.
This is all good advice.

I think the idea of a rub vs injection is personal preference. Personally I'd just brine it and rub with salt and pepper a few hours before.

Definitely use peanut oil as it has a much higher smoking temperature and this is high-temp cooking. If you're going to toss the oil, buy two birds and double the leftovers to get more value.

Pay attention to the prep, oil temp and time and it will turn out fantastic.

Use other than peanut oil, don't measure before so it overflows (probably cause you're dinking) and you'll have a fireball.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Check out some youtube videos on frying turkey. You will see how easily a disaster can happen...... One of the most avoidable errors is too much oil in the fryer before putting in the turkey.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Inject it with a 75/25 mix of Chicken Stock and Melted Butter (Its Thanksgiving, eff heathy )...you can also put a little rub in the mixture before you inject it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
iamskippy

Peanut oil FTW and Garlic melted butter injections imho.
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
Piscator

Paul,

I may have to try some of that Thursday night after my nap

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:21 AM   #10
Saltheart

I have fried a lot of turkeys. One year I think we did 7 in a row.

Peanut oil is for taste , not for safety. many oils and more likely mixes of oils (due to the high cost of peanut oil) have relatively high smoke points. Just be sure that whatever oil you choose , you stay below its smoke point. I'm a real coward and also very safety minded from working at temperatures as high as 6000F for most of my professional career. you need to have respect for anything that can burn you quickly. Unlike sticking your hand right into a flame and safely taking it out before you get damaged , hot oil will cling to your skin and burn for a long time after it initially hits you. Have respect for the danger potential. If you really need someone to tell you not to drink too much before frying a turkey , find someone else to do it , you don't have the survival instincts needed. I always leave 25 degrees between my oil temp and its smoke point (that's F degrees). many oils sold with kits or at the same stores as the cookers will be a mix of peanut oil and others. Peanut oil is very expensive so most mixes I have used are about 1/3 peanut plus other vegetable oils.mixed oils amost always have the smoke point written somewhere on the container. unfortunately , many pure oils don't and they expect you to look it up. I set the thermometer up down the side of the kettle and leave it in and monitor it all through the cooking.

35 minutes is too short for any respectable turkey. I alway use this rule for timing , 3 minutes per pound plus 5 minutes. Also , after you have cooked a half dozen or so , you will know what the frying action looks like when the bird is near done. Anyway , a 12 pound bird takes about 42 minutes or so depending on oil temp.

Water is a deadly enemy in the whole process. Don't have the bird wet , any ice in or on it , and don't spill your beer or magarita into the hot oil. It will violently turn to steam and with that steam , oil will get sprayed out of the kettle.

The oil is flammable , never forget it.

I always use a rig where the turkey is lowered into the kettle by two guys. By doing this , each guy can be 2 to 3 feet from the kettle when the bird goes in. The time when you are lowering the bird in initially is the most dangerous time. Don't just plop it in by letting it go above the kettle. Slowly lower it in and expect that it will really boil like hell when initially put in. That's because no matter how much you pat it dry , there is still some moisture on the surface.

I have rubbed the birds , injected the birds with liquid marinade, stuffed basting under their skin , brined them and injected solid things like garlic and spice clusters. They all result in a little different taste , some of which people think is worth the effort. i have found the best thing you can do with little to no work is cook a fresh , never been frozen bird. I also try to get birds as close to 12 pounds as possible. they may be 12 to 14 pounds but that's OK. I think for most rigs , that's about what fits nicely. I have seen people do 16 pounders with no problem but for my set up (most are all the same) I like about a 12 pounder.

Do follow the instructions above to determine the oil level without a bird in it.

I have heard some incredibly stupid things from "experts" about frying turkeys on both the radio and TV. I actaully heard a guy talk about how stupid people were to cook the bird in the house (which of course is stupid) but then he said "do it in the garage instead"!! Now that's really stupid.

I cook the birds outside , at least 10 to 15 feet from anything that can burn except the grass. make sure the heater is on solid , mlevel ground and that it does not wobble at all.

Adjust the burner so the oil comes up to temp at a controllable rate. I like it to be rising maybe 1 degree per minute for the last 10 degrees , that way you know you are in control. When you drop the bird in , the oil temp will drop , I do not increase the heat. the bird will really sizzle for about 30 minutes because its just pouring out water vapor into the oil. Then the temp will start to rise again , watch that it doesn't exceed you predetermined max safe oil temp. The close you get to the bird being done , the faster the oil will rise in temp. That's one of the good indicators of doneness.

If you are going to do multiple birds (which is the only economical way to do it do to the high price of the oil) let the temp stabilize again before sticking another bird in there. You may need to add an ounce or two between every bird you cook. Some just gets pulled out on the bird surface , some , but very little gets absorbed , I think primarily in the skin. Anyway , for two birds it won't matter but after 5 or 6 you will definitely notice the oil no longer covers the bird. You want it covered but only just by an extra inch. Don't get the oil too close to the top of the pan when the bird is in.

Anyway , I hope this helps people who try it for the first time.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
niko

good help everyone. i borrowed a fryer for this experiment and it doesnt have a thermometer. what type does it need? so... don't get hammered or put in a wet bird. i can't wait to taste this badboy. half the family is scared to death and expecting damage.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
luds
Night Stalker

I'm sure there are dozens of great ways to do it. I took the easy route last year and I couldn't imagine it tasting any better.

Just got the butterball kit at Home Depot. Creole marinaide injection and cajun seasoning rub. It was amazing. We destroyed it. Frying a second this year. Definitely go with Peanut Oil.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Saltheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
good help everyone. i borrowed a fryer for this experiment and it doesnt have a thermometer. what type does it need? so... don't get hammered or put in a wet bird. i can't wait to taste this badboy. half the family is scared to death and expecting damage.
You need a long thermometer that will read accurately in the 300 to 400 degree range. Don't let the tip of the thermometer touch the bottom of the kettle , if you do you will be way off on the oil temp.You will be doing the frying at 350 to 375 for most oils so that's where you need it accurate. Don't use a glass one. Get a metal one.

I think its pretty dangerous to try to do it without a thermometer.

Saltheart
Old 11-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post

I always use a rig where the turkey is lowered into the kettle by two guys. By doing this , each guy can be 2 to 3 feet from the kettle when the bird goes in. .
That and Niko's, Capt. Hooks idea, are great ideas for keepin ya from
spendin Thanksgiving in the hospital eating a turkey sandwich for
dinner.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
niko

turkey was great and no damage done. it always comes in handy to have a gaff around
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dgkjk.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	608.1 KB
ID:	42711  

Last edited by niko; 11-26-2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
striperman36
Old Guy

Now that's cool
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #17
5/0
Eels

Good ideas and great advice from all,Niko now that you have things under control you oughta try Twinkies and Devil Dogs!!!!!!!!!!!

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
Saltheart

And Snicker bars!

Saltheart
Old 11-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
Raven

Question

i noticed in that picture theres a tin
foil circle attached under neath that bird

does that keep it from splattering or what?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #20
JamesJet

NICE WORK

I like the gaff idea, I have always gone with two people and putting it in the middle of a hockey stick and dropping it together.

Glad you enjoyed it!
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #21
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
i noticed in that picture theres a tin
foil circle attached under neath that bird

does that keep it from splattering or what?
That's the pedestal it's a perforated disk with a 3/4" lip bent down to keep it off the bottom of the frier.On the opposite side of the disk is a bent hoop/loop about 10-12" in length & 1/4" dia.(some other models have a long eye hook),you slide the bird on it neck first so the legs are up to the tip of the loop then you tie the legs to it with cotton string.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #22
Saltheart

You don't even have to tie the legs unless its a big bird.

Saltheart
Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #23
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
You don't even have to tie the legs unless its a big bird.
You'r right you don't have to.I normaly cook 20-25# turkeys I tie up the wings close to the body so they over cook and continue the string up to the legs and hold them close to the body,this will protect the sides and butt from over cooking cause it's the top of the oil and most of the time it over cooks the upper portion of the body.