Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

my grandmother is 85, fat all her life, used to smoke like a machine, had 8 kids and still lives alone
My parents exercised when no one did, white bread was not allowed in our house, both were in amazing shape all their lives. Both died before 65.
who the hell knows?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
my grandmother is 85, fat all her life, used to smoke like a machine, had 8 kids and still lives alone
My parents exercised when no one did, white bread was not allowed in our house, both were in amazing shape all their lives. Both died before 65.
who the hell knows?
Those are exceptions to the rule.

I can find a 16 year-old kid driving a Ferrari who won't have a car accident this year, that doesn't mean you give him free insurance. Yuo manage to the expectations, and the crystal clear expectation is that people whoe choose to over eat and smoke will be much more expensive to insure.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Sea Dangles

Quote:
who the hell knows?
Thanks for highlighting the exception Jimmy but to say who the hell knows is shortsighted at best. You usually have something to add that makes sense but fat ass costs an average of 3X somebody in good health. It's not the crap shoot you depict above.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Thanks for highlighting the exception Jimmy but to say who the hell knows is shortsighted at best. You usually have something to add that makes sense but fat ass costs an average of 3X somebody in good health. It's not the crap shoot you depict above.
I dont know dangles. Many people I know, in shape, who exercise have knee, foot, elbow, etc injuries and are constantly at the docs. I've run most of my life and have all kinds of medical expense at podiatrists, knee etc. Look how many sports medicine places there are , who do you think is paying for those? Insurance Cos. Obestity is definitley a factor, but a healthy and active lifestyle adds A TON to medical costs.
how many kids are hurt in sports? I guess we should charge them more for insurance for being active.
Also, obese people should die sooner, thus requiring less health costs while healthier people will possibley live longer and incur more costs over their lifespan. I have no clue , let the actuaries figure it out.
Insurance is a business, let the business do whats best for them and their customers.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
I dont know dangles. Many people I know, in shape, who exercise have knee, foot, elbow, etc injuries and are constantly at the docs. I've run most of my life and have all kinds of medical expense at podiatrists, knee etc. Look how many sports medicine places there are , who do you think is paying for those? Insurance Cos. Obestity is definitley a factor, but a healthy and active lifestyle adds A TON to medical costs.
how many kids are hury in sports? I guess we should charge them more for insurance for being active.
Also, obese people should die sooner, thus requiring less health costs while healthier people will possibley live longer and incur more costs over their lifespan. I have no clue , let the actuaries figure it out.
Insurance is a business, let the business do whats best for them and their customers.
"Many people I know..."

You can't make national policies based on your personal observations. I actually know someone who won more than $1 million in the lottery. That doesn't mean that the statisticians are wrong when they say the odds of winning are one in a zillion.

"obese people should die sooner, thus requiring less health costs "

That's definitely a factor (also a factor for smokers). But even with the shorter life expectancy, society pays way more to provide healthcare to the "average" smoker or obese person, than we do to the "average" active person. Because during their shorter lives, they rack up enormous costs, due to their choices.

"let the actuaries figure it out"

I believe they have. Let's see if we, as a collective society, choose to hold obese people as responsible for their choices, as we have long done with smokers (who have been paying more for health and life insurance for many years).

I'm 25 pounds heavier than when I graduated college. Time to fix that!