Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #1
PaulS

And I think a lot of people lie about how much they give to charity.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
do both republicans and democrats lie about it, or just republicans?
Old 08-22-2022, 02:17 PM   #3
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I never said Republicans as I don't know. When I see stats on annual giving I just don't believe the average person gives those amounts.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:31 PM   #4
scottw

Quote:
everybody except paul is apparently suspect....
Old 08-22-2022, 03:16 PM   #5
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
everybody except paul is apparently suspect....
No need to lie as I ran most of it through my companies match. Allowed me to itemize my deductions last year *and this year and lower what I owe.

Damn local animal shelter never responded to my companies multiple requests to get an additional $500 match that was sent in for a cousin's sudden passing.

Of course work won't match my church dues/donations
Old 08-22-2022, 02:29 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:

Quote:
When I see stats on annual giving I just don't believe the average person gives those amounts.

you could fit in perfectly with the new Brandon IRS Gestapo
Old 08-22-2022, 07:38 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Roevember is coming

If you think it won’t happen, look at what happened in Ireland about the abortion issue.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:16 AM   #8
PaulS

Yes, let's make the schools better by taking away funding and the most engaged parents by subsidizing private schools. Makes sense.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yes, let's make the schools better by taking away funding and the most engaged parents by subsidizing private schools. Makes sense.
Nope. Follow the math, or have a middle schooler explain the math to you. My idea of school choice leaves public schools with more money to spend per kid. "More money per kid", is the exact opposite of what you claim would happen.

So it's better to punish the "most engaged parents" by leaving them in failing sh*thole schools that you'd never, EVER send your kids to?

How does that help those most engaged parents, Paul? Please explain how denying school choice helps those parents? The ones who happen to be poor, but are doing everything the right way? How does denying them school choice help them?

The only ones hurt by school choice are the teachers left behind in the urban schools (as some of the most teachable students would leave) and the union, and therefore democrats who get $$ from the union. That's it.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:33 AM   #10
PaulS

Quote:
I support school choice with strict income caps. Especially in inner cities where schools are the worst. So please explain how that's aimed at sending white kids to better schools. I'm all ears.
Quote:
told you right there.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:12 AM   #11
wdmso

Files copied from voting systems were shared with Trump supporters, election deniers

A Georgia computer forensics firm, hired by the attorneys, placed the files on a server, where company records show they were downloaded dozens of times. Among the downloaders were accounts associated with a Texas meteorologist who has appeared on Sean Hannity’s radio show; a podcaster who suggested political enemies should be executed; a former pro surfer who pushed disproven theories that the 2020 election was manipulated; and a self-described former “seduction and pickup coach” who claims to also have been a hacker.

So let me guess . They are Trumps lawyers but Trump shoulders no responsibility for their actions?

It’s that how it works ?
Old 08-23-2022, 11:18 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

You don’t find failing public schools and charter schools in wealthy neighborhoods, do you?

Why would that be?

Because wealthy locales add more burden on to their local taxpayers, who are willing to pay and insist on quality education.
Now Jim and other school choice disciples have no desire to increase funding, instead they want to spread it thinner using vouchers to replace public education funding.
The magical privatization theory, good for schools, prisons, roads, rail, etc.
Wonder why we keep losing ground in the world?
Public schools would have less money to work with because what they used to receive is now a voucher that is handed out.
The only families left behind are those who cannot make up the difference of the voucher (thus, lower-income families) and those with disabled children. Because private schools do not have to take disabled children.

Unfortunately those left behind are the most expensive and it would only get worse.

Now some think that teachers need to just do more for less, because they should feel privileged to be responsible for the education of our greatest asset.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #13
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Public schools would have less money to work with because what they used to receive is now a voucher that is handed out.
The only families left behind are those who cannot make up the difference of the voucher (thus, lower-income families) and those with disabled children. Because private schools do not have to take disabled children.

Unfortunately those left behind are the most expensive and it would only get worse.

Now some think that teachers need to just do more for less, because they should feel privileged to be responsible for the education of our greatest asset.
And don't forget the issue of fixed/variable cost. If there are fewer students you still need to spend the same for services such as heating the building, provide the same security/guards, etc. You still need to run the same buses, etc. End result is lower $ to provide services while subsidizing students to go to private school. As I said the most engage parents would take their children out while the students w/o engaged parents with the most needs would be left further behind. I guess they would need to lift themselves up by the bootstraps.

Last edited by PaulS; 08-23-2022 at 11:45 AM..
Old 08-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
As I said the most engage parents would take their children out while the students w/o engaged parents with the most needs would be left further behind. I guess they would need to lift themselves up by the bootstraps.
yes, as you said, you advocate for punishing the few engaged parents, because you believe it’s their job to leave their kids in crappy schools for the benefit of others, rather than let them
flourish in good schools

yet you claim you care more about those parents than i do.

Keep bleating the narrative paul.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #15
PaulS

Quote:
yes, as you said, you advocate for punishing the few engaged parents, because you believe it’s their job to leave their kids in crappy schools for the benefit of others, rather than let them
flourish in good schools

yet you claim you care more about those parents than i do.

Keep bleating the narrative paul.
The few would leave and benefit while the majority would be still be in the public schools with fewer resources.

It is all about what is best for Jim - screw the less fortunate. Typical Conservate mantra.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:05 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
The few would leave and benefit while the majority would be still be in the public schools with fewer resources.

It is all about what is best for Jim - screw the less fortunate. Typical Conservate mantra.
"the majority would be still be in the public schools with fewer resources. "

(1) the majority are there anyway. Better to force them all to stay? Or better to help those who want the help?

(2) Fewer overall dollars, but more dollars per student.

(3) competition would incentivize the public school to improve.

"It is all about what is best for Jim"

How does this help me, exactly? I'm not poor in an urban area. I'm already sending my kids to private school. You're saying I'm selfish, because I want to help those engaged parents?

You keep saying you don't want to subsidize private schools, but you're OK with subsidizing public schools, whish are worse and way more expensive?

Finally, it's what they want Paul. I say let them choose what's best for their kids. You'd deny them that choice, yet you claim you're more on their side than I am.

And teh fact that dumping massive amounts of money into lousy urban schools helps democrats win elections, that has nothing to do with the liberal stance on the issue, that's just a happy coincidence for the left.

But you're going to make the urban schools stronger by continuing to throw good money after bad.

Beyond stupid. And likely racist. Keep those darkies where they belong, don't let them into the suburbs. It's better for them, actually, to stay in downtown Hartford. Keep telling yourself that, Einstein.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:44 PM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Some people are proof that Trump merely acted as the latest conduit for America’s deep natural reserves of #^&#^&#^&#^&tiness.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:15 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Democrat Pat Ryan defeated Republican Marc Molinaro in the special election in #NY19 (R+2 District). Every poll predicted a Republican win by 10-20%.

The women in this country are pissed! RoeVWade

A huge warning sign for Republicans.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:15 AM   #19
scottw

Quote:
Democrat Pat Ryan defeated Republican Marc Molinaro in the special election in #NY19 (R+2 District). Every poll predicted a Republican win by 10-20%.

The women in this country are pissed! RoeVWade

A huge warning sign for Republicans.
it was a shocker apparently...democrats almost never win in New York

THE HILL "Ryan will represent the district through January, replacing former Rep. Antonio Delgado (D-N.Y.), who was appointed lieutenant governor earlier this year. Ryan was also projected on Tuesday to win the Democratic nomination for the November election for New York’s newly drawn 18th Congressional District. "
Old 08-24-2022, 06:27 AM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
it was a shocker apparently...democrats almost never win in New York

THE HILL "Ryan will represent the district through January, replacing former Rep. Antonio Delgado (D-N.Y.), who was appointed lieutenant governor earlier this year. Ryan was also projected on Tuesday to win the Democratic nomination for the November election for New York’s newly drawn 18th Congressional District. "
Not in that district, silly troll

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-26-2022, 04:50 AM   #21
wdmso

Two Florida residents pleaded guilty in a case connected to a stolen diary that reportedly belonged to Ashley Biden, the president’s daughter, and that ended up in the hands of conservative group Project Veritas, portions of which were made public in the weeks before the end of the 2020 presidential campaign.

For 40k. Yep that’s conservatives for you the laptop hell how do you think the Steele dossiers started

The facts tell a different story. The document was written by Steele, a British MI6 agent, at the behest of Fusion GPS, which had been hired initially by conservative Republicans seeking the skinny on Trump. About the time the Republicans lost interest,

Even. Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy, also a member of the intelligence committee, said the dossier didn’t have any effect on the Russia investigation. “I actually don’t think it has any impact on the Russia probe,” Gowdy said on Feb. 4, 2018, on CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

But again Truth isn’t what drives that party
Old 08-26-2022, 05:40 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Two Florida residents pleaded guilty in a case connected to a stolen diary that reportedly belonged to Ashley Biden, the president’s daughter, and that ended up in the hands of conservative group Project Veritas, portions of which were made public in the weeks before the end of the 2020 presidential campaign.

For 40k. Yep that’s conservatives for you the laptop hell how do you think the Steele dossiers started

The facts tell a different story. The document was written by Steele, a British MI6 agent, at the behest of Fusion GPS, which had been hired initially by conservative Republicans seeking the skinny on Trump. About the time the Republicans lost interest,

Even. Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy, also a member of the intelligence committee, said the dossier didn’t have any effect on the Russia investigation. “I actually don’t think it has any impact on the Russia probe,” Gowdy said on Feb. 4, 2018, on CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

But again Truth isn’t what drives that party
“that’s conservatives for you.”

2 people
who no one has ever heard of, speak for tens of millions of conservatives.

makes sense

and no registered democrat has ever done anything wrong. not once. nope.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:21 AM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

2 people

makes sense

I don’t know them Coffee boys, they tell me they only brought coffee, many people say so…..

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-30-2022, 08:48 AM   #24
wdmso

Quote:

2 people

makes sense

Jim are claiming you claiming never heard of Project Veritas

Their conservatives icons in the act of sleaze

It’s not if you know these people you like many other so called conservatives have no problems with people who think as you

Steal and pass around other people’s property selling it to the highest bidder .. then claiming it would have change the outcome of the election.. such honesty

I’ll give credit to the Trump campaign they wouldn’t touch it with a 10 ft pole same with hunters laptop . Hence Rudy’s dirty hands all over itb
Old 08-30-2022, 09:00 AM   #25
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Jim are claiming you claiming never heard of Project Veritas

Their conservatives icons in the act of sleaze

It’s not if you know these people you like many other so called conservatives have no problems with people who think as you

Steal and pass around other people’s property selling it to the highest bidder .. then claiming it would have change the outcome of the election.. such honesty

I’ll give credit to the Trump campaign they wouldn’t touch it with a 10 ft pole same with hunters laptop . Hence Rudy’s dirty hands all over itb
democrats would never stoop this low
Old 08-30-2022, 09:40 AM   #26
wdmso

7 more Republican leaders endorse Democrat Josh Shapiro for Pennsylvania governor, following news of GOP candidate Doug Mastriano wearing a Confederate military uniform

interesting
Old 08-26-2022, 06:40 AM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

So, is the GOP melting down right now? You decide.

Of course it’s all people nobody ever heard of….

First, the putative leader of the GOP is calling for the Senate GOP leader to be replaced, immediately.

The leader of the Senate GOP campaign arm, Rick Scott, is being openly accused of financial mismanagement by his peers.

There is an unprecedented and well-funded effort by Republicans to convince other Republicans not to vote Republican.

Liz Cheney will be campaigning with Democrats this fall.

When have we ever seen anything like this?

Today there were signs GOP candidates have been told to start distancing themselves from Trump, MAGA, abortion extremism (LOL!!!!).

GOP House candidate in swing districts scrubbing their sites of Trump endorsement.

The Republican nominee for Arizona Attorney General, 31-year-old AbrahamHamadeh, removed Trump's endorsement from his Twitter bio and background. The endorsement is also no longer on the homepage of his website either.

AZ Senate nominee running screaming from his extremist abortion positions. Another website scrub.

CO GOP state senator switching parties, saying the GOP had become an existential threat.

Jan 6th related investigations spreading.

GOP leaders in AZ, GA, MI, NV, PA, WI have been subpoenaed.

Meadows, Lindsay Graham, other MAGAs being called to testify.

Rudy may get indicted.

Democratic candidates are raising tons of money. R candidates aren't.

And then there is Trump's ongoing criminality, betrayal of the country.

It has become THE GOP news story every day, blocking out all efforts by Rs to reach voters.

And it's likely to get much worse in the weeks ahead.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:36 AM   #28
scottw

Quote:

So, is the GOP melting down right now? You decide.

I don't know...seems like our SB leftists are the ones melting down with their daily rambling, incoherent, angry and bitter posts....oh sorry, I meant "facts"

based on your assessments....there might be no republicans left by November either dead from covid, arrested for treason or shamed into identifying as democrat

you should be happier....

every leftist post here should begin with a preamble...here I'll write it for you all...

"The Universal Leftist Post Preamble"

"You are an angry, snarky person whose life has no meaning and you have no friends, you are clearly racist, sexist, homophobic and transphobic and all the other phobics and you are so stupid and intellectually challenged and undereducated that you actually believe the conspiracy theory that a baby in the womb with a beating heart is ..."life"???, you are also most likely a traitor who hates babies once they ARE born and anyone else who doesn't look like you. Your(or is it You're) existence and opinions are a threat to "our" democracy and your obvious undying loyalty to that criminal trump is all that is wrong with our otherwise crime and violence free society especially in democrat cities where, if there is any crime and violence it's because of the guns "YOU" own. Your very existence is a threat to the planet because you have not sworn allegiance to climate change and like us, made virtue signaling your primary focus and means to improve the environment. You refuse to accept facts as we present them from our expert biased sources no matter how many times we cut and paste them without attribution, it's hard to believe that you actually got a job and your co-workers probably secretly hate you, silly troll, keep drinking your Kool Aid..... ps...if any of this is insulting, you forced us to insult you....you...you...you ultra-maga semi-fascist radicalized cult member......do you ever post anything meaningful or relevant and do you even fish ?"...

Last edited by scottw; 08-30-2022 at 06:11 AM..
Old 08-29-2022, 11:07 PM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

There’s a lot of polling on impact of abortion on midterms. But here’s a simple polling test that’s rarely wrong: watch how much money R’s put behind ads praising the ruling vs. how much Dems put attacking. You can’t lie in a campaign about how you spend money & It says it all.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:19 AM   #30
Pete F.
Canceled

I vaguely recall … **every conservative ever** saying that warning of riots in response to legal law enforcement actions (even wrong ones) was entirely unacceptable.

Senator Graham says there will be riots in the streets if Trump is prosecuted.

Why would a US Senator say this? It's the classic threat of organized crime types against prosecutors. "Nice little ___ you've got there. Shame if anything happened to it." Republicans, who've done nothing meaningful, like impeach Trump, after 1-6, now openly condone violence?

Is threatening violence if things don't go their way the new normal for the GOP? Would it work for BLM or groups protesting anti-abortion prosecutions too? Can the GOP also do this if they don't like future election outcomes?

These are no longer just theoretical questions.

And the Trumplican preamble…..

pro-choice = baby killers
marriage equality = hate the family
accurate history = anti-white people

The same people clutching pearls over being called “semi-fascists” have themselves been calling democratic voters “socialists” and “communists” for decades without any concern on whether those labels were entirely fair or callous.