Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List Arcade Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks » Popular How-To threads

Popular How-To threads Favorite How-To threads from other parts of the boards that we recommend people read (especially novices) when an answer to a common question is needed...

Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
plugger11

Cool kastmaster lures

I just bought a 2oz kastmaster lure w/tube, single hook for surfcasting this spring. I noticed when I took it out of the package it did not have a splitring. Do I need to put a splitring on ?? I will be surf casting witha 50lb. shock leader. thank you
plugger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
LT. DAN 2

I would...the edges of the top can slowly scrape the line and weaken it. Make sure the split ring is large enough to handle the distance from the leading edge to the hole. I've not found any difference in the action...if anything, I would say the addition of the split ring gave more wiggle...which is what I'm looking for in a metal.
LT. DAN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
stripadan
stripadan

I strip my kastmasters and install a 150 lb. Sampo split ring on each end. Then I put on a 7/0-9/0 Siwash. Look for Siwash with straight point, not curved point, which don't catch as well for me. Stainless or tinned work. I like closed eye. Open eye stainless seem brittle and I've had quite a few break when crimping. The Siwash is a much stronger hook and drops less fish. Sharpen hooks though, not sharp enough from factory.
No dressing on hook. No loss in attention from bass, and when blues arrive nothing to worry about. Matches both herring and squid well. Adjust hook size depending on size Kastmaster.
stripadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
Raven

no split ring gives the fish a leverage advantage to get itself unhooked too
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Throw it out.
Buy Pt Jude Tins instead!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Throw it out.
Buy Pt Jude Tins instead!
i second that
jim sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim sylvester View Post
i second that
...Add a third to that, too.

Kastmasters have nowhere near the action that Pt Jude does - and Joe has re-introduced pretty much the entire line which fits every baitfish profile there is.

I like - and use - the Nautilus, the Sea Scallop and the Butterfish - also had very good luck with the new Golden Mullet this year during the mullet run, but it's also available in silver. I also use the Black Knight series and a teaser up front at night when there's smaller baitfish around like Habs used to.

Ya know, all the old-timers used tins a lot in many situations - mostly because they work like very few other things will. You can really punch them into a good headwind when the bass are in the wash.

***BTW, this is an unsolicited testimonial - if more guys realized how well they work around here they'd use 'em more just like they do in NJ - which is BIG on tins for a good reason. And Joe's a helluva nice guy to boot - he's pretty meticulous about his stuff, uses VMC's and HD split rings too - and Joe has his little brother Jeff - - tying the bucktails for the VMC's

And the kicker is, they're also less expensive than KM's or Hopkins - a lotta bang for the buck if ya ask me

Try 'em, plugger11 - believe me, you'll like 'em

Last edited by Crafty Angler; 12-16-2008 at 08:08 AM..

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Gunpowder
Fish Hound

Send a message via ICQ to Gunpowder Send a message via AIM to Gunpowder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler View Post
...Add a third to that, too.

Kastmasters have nowhere near the action that Pt Jude does - and Joe has re-introduced pretty much the entire line which fits every baitfish profile there is.

I like - and use - the Nautilus, the Sea Scallop and the Butterfish - also had very good luck with the new Golden Mullet this year during the mullet run, but it's also available in silver. I also use the Black Knight series and a teaser up front at night when there's smaller baitfish around like Habs used to.

Ya know, all the old-timers used tins a lot in many situations - mostly because they work like very few other things will. You can really punch them into a good headwind when the bass are in the wash.

***BTW, this is an unsolicited testimonial - if more guys realized how well they work around here they'd use 'em more just like they do in NJ - which is BIG on tins for a good reason. And Joe's a helluva nice guy to boot - he's pretty meticulous about his stuff, uses VMC's and HD split rings too - and Joe has his little brother Jeff - - tying the bucktails for the VMC's

And the kicker is, they're also less expensive than KM's or Hopkins - a lotta bang for the buck if ya ask me

Try 'em, plugger11 - believe me, you'll like 'em

great post. using tins more this year is a large goal of mine. i feel like with the wooden custom plug craze over the past few years, i have used my tins only a couple of times and wish i had packed them in my bag. time to get some more for the holidays

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart.....pursue those."
Gunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
stcroixman

I've hada lot of success with Kastmasters. Stripers seem to really like the red surgical tubing the best. I also use Joe's tins a lot with good success.Deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&'s work well also.

As one post said above I too am going back to more tins this year. I fell in love with custom wood the last year or two. Too expensive to lose to a blue or bail closure.
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote