Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-14-2022, 06:32 PM   #1111
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

There’s no such thing as a “Popular Vote”
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-14-2022, 10:33 PM   #1112
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
There’s no such thing as a “Popular Vote”
Popular Vote
The term “popular vote” has two different meanings. The first simply refers to a democratic vote which has been put to an entire electorate, which could be in the form of an election or referendum. For example, the subject of European Union membership has always been polarizing in the United Kingdom. In 2016 a decision on the matter was put to a “popular vote” in the form of a referendum resulting in "Brexit".

The second meaning of the term refers to the decision made by voters reflected in the share of votes won by a particular candidate, party or option in a referendum. Using the Brexit referendum example, the option to leave won 52% of the popular vote. In a simple binary referendum such as Brexit, this popular vote majority directly translated into the success for the leave option.

However, in more complex votes such as the US Presidential election, winning a greater share of the popular vote doesn’t always translate into electoral victory. In 2016, for example, Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton won 48.5% of the popular vote across the US to Republican Donald Trump’s 46.4%, however the latter ended up winning the presidency. This is because the US electoral college system uses a “winner-takes-all” majoritarian electoral system, which means the number of electors won doesn’t necessarily correspond to a candidate’s share of the popular vote. Put another way, the share of the popular vote refers to the number of votes won across the country, but depending on the electoral system in place, this may or may not correspond to the number of seats won.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-14-2022, 11:11 PM   #1113
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

The vote showed that Americans want civility and moderates.

this according to mr. profanity and bad temper.......
Old 11-15-2022, 05:23 AM   #1114
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

Yup revenge and no governing
sounds like the democraps through the trump years....
Old 11-15-2022, 05:24 AM   #1115
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Jim your version of how to justify an investigation is and I quote

If the " " didn’t do anything wrong then they have nothing to worry about.

didn't you say exactly this when referring to a tv show?
Old 11-15-2022, 05:26 AM   #1116
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

And how’d that work out for Republicans..

looks like they got a House out of it....which was really all that was expected....better luck next time...
Old 11-15-2022, 06:26 AM   #1117
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
looks like they got a House out of it....which was really all that was expected....better luck next time...
it was all i expected as there were so many more gop
senate seats up. the senate was always a steep
uphill climb, but a lot of pollsters got many of those races very wrong.

in 2024 the democrats have 24 senators up for re election, the gop 10. That’s ripe for a meaningful shift, but Trump could easily dash those hopes.

Assuming trump runs, does desantis challenge him in the primary? Or does he concede and wait until 2028? fascinating stuff, but none of it helpful to the gop.

there’s 85 i vestiges ruins into trump. Can’t one of them
lead to a conviction of something? Just one?
Old 11-15-2022, 06:34 AM   #1118
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Can’t one of them
lead to a conviction of something? Just one?
pete says just be patient...he should be in handcuffs any day now....
Old 11-15-2022, 07:07 AM   #1119
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump will announce today he is running for president, the question in the back of his mind is how much can I make in this next money grab. I think a Trump/Lake ticket will be fun for Americans.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:58 AM   #1120
scottw

Quote:

I think a Trump/Lake ticket will be fun for Americans.
ABSOULUTELY!

just imagine the debates between brandon/ trump ....Lake/kamala or fedderwoman....or brandon/Trump.....Desantis/kamala or fedderwoman...or Desantis/brandon....Lake/kamala or fedderwoman
Old 11-15-2022, 07:59 AM   #1121
Pete F.
Canceled

They don’t get it yet. They may never get it. Trump won’t ALLOW Republicans to move on from him.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:20 AM   #1122
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
They don’t get it yet. They may never get it. Trump won’t ALLOW Republicans to move on from him.
Who doesn't get that, Pete?

I agree with you, and I've been saying that.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:25 AM   #1123
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Who doesn't get that, Pete?

I agree with you, and I've been saying that.
RINO much?

Republicans should be forced to carry Donald Trump to term, even if it endangers the life of the party.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-15-2022, 08:50 AM   #1124
Jim in CT

Quote:
RINO much?

Republicans should be forced to carry Donald Trump to term, even if it endangers the life of the party.
republicans don’t the right to choose someone else? why should they be forced to stick with trump?

“endangers the life of the party.”

prevents the party from achieving what it would otherwise achieve. doesn’t endanger the existence of the party.

look where the democrats were after 8 years of obama. way way worse off than the gop is now. but trump is a lot more toxic now than 2 years ago.

i’m not a rino. i like Trunks policies, i hate him personally.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-15-2022 at 08:56 AM..
Old 11-15-2022, 09:02 AM   #1125
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
republicans don’t the right to choose someone else? why should they be forced to stick with trump?

prevents the party from achieving what it would otherwise achieve. doesn’t endanger the existence of the party.

look where the democrats were after 8 years of obama. way way worse off than the gop is now. but trump is a lot more toxic now than 2 years ago.

OMG Scott, this is a spelling opportunity for you, why aren't you doing your primary job on this forum?
Old 11-15-2022, 09:03 AM   #1126
Jim in CT

Quote:
OMG Scott, this is a spelling opportunity for you, why aren't you doing your primary job on this forum?
i’m the worlds worst typist…
Old 11-15-2022, 09:21 AM   #1127
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Quote:

Why on earth, would you point out that Liz Cheney was in private practice from 1981-1989, as evidence she's not a RINO? How could that POSSIBLY mean she's not a RINO?

There was a civil war within the GOP. It's over. Liz Cheney's side lost. And I don't intensely dislike Liz Cheney or anything, but she's no longer the preferred brand of Republican.

The civil war among democrats is just beginning, and lord almighty is it entertaining.
Poor RINO victim, hopefully you were entertained by the civil war among the Dems...............

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-15-2022, 10:11 AM   #1128
Jim in CT

Quote:
Poor RINO victim, hopefully you were entertained by the civil war among the Dems...............
I was very entertained by the civil war among the dems (and it ain't over, once Trump is gone the dems will have to face the fact that America isn't liberal, not even close). I will be a lot less entertained by the upcoming civil war within the GOP that almost certainly starts tonight. It's going to be ugly, and it's going to be costly, though not nearly as costly as you want it to be. It won't mean the demise of the GOP, it probably means the GOP will achieve less for the next few years than they'd otherwise achieve.

I wish the dems would help out and convict the guy of something, anything.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:24 PM   #1129
Pete F.
Canceled

Poor victim
You’re just another Republican failure, like McConnell, McCarthy and McDaniel.

Trump will test the Republican Party and we’ll see just how much lower they will go, because everything Trump touches dies….
Old 11-15-2022, 01:47 PM   #1130
Jim in CT

Quote:
everything Trump touches dies….
Then please tell me why the GOP will likely have a tiny majority in the house, 49/50 senate seats, and a robust majority of state governorships and legislatures? By what conceivable standard is that a dead party? I guess it's a very slow death...How would you describe the democrats after Obama? They were way, way worse off than the GOP is now.

Or are you making up quotes again, passing them off as genuine?

It's fascinating though. The battle on the left is ideological between the more progressive wing and the more moderate wing, and the moderate wing at the national level is quickly disappearing. That battle is pretty much over, the holdouts like Manchin and Sinema are mostly despised.

On the right, the ideological battle is over, the neocons lost and the populists won. The upcoming war on the right will be fought among two groups who have the same views on public policy, the battle will be about Trump, as he's way too self-centered to make it about anything other than himself. He's an unbelievable megalomaniac. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be costly, and it will be fascinating to see what Desantis does. If he waits until his term is up in 2026 and runs in 2028, that's 2 years he'll be out of office and he may well be yesterday's news by then. His time is right now after turning Florida into a red state and winning Miami Dade. But the Trump lovers are absolutely in a cult, there's no talking to them. they are completely hypnotized. Desantis is the embodiment of the upside of Trump without the downside, which is exactly why the left is batsh-t terrified of him. And he may never have a chance.

Fascinating stuff. Better than an episode of The West Wing.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:19 PM   #1131
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Not one incumbent democratic senator lost, last time that happened in the mid terms was 1934, man that red wave was quite the ripple. Trump will continue to be the anchor dragging the GOP down, be careful what you wish for or vote for. Between Trump and abortion, the dog who caught the buss is looking rabid now.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:45 PM   #1132
Pete F.
Canceled

The Republican Party had a choice between Trump or America, they chose Trump over and over again.
Trump was impeached twice… each impeachment was completely justified… the second was for 1/6… in each case the elected GOP dishonored their oaths… if they’d honored their oaths… Trump would’ve been removed… he should have been removed…
Republicans now know that they cannot win with Trump; but they also know that if he torches everything in sight, they can’t win without him either. They are in a political prison of their own making.

Wanna blame Trump for Herschel Walker? Fine, but DeSantis & Youngkin endorsed him too. Wanna blame Trump for Kari Lake? Fine, but DeSantis & Youngkin endorsed her too. Wanna blame Trump…

You get it. It’s not just Trump. They ALL endorsed ALL the crazies.

You want the "Trumpism" without Trump. The Rep were rotten to to core before... Trump just let it all out in the open.

And they like DeSantis because he’s low drama but high cruelty.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:00 PM   #1133
Jim in CT

Quote:
The Republican Party had a choice between Trump or America, they chose Trump over and over again.
Trump was impeached twice… each impeachment was completely justified… the second was for 1/6… in each case the elected GOP dishonored their oaths… if they’d honored their oaths… Trump would’ve been removed… he should have been removed…
Republicans now know that they cannot win with Trump; but they also know that if he torches everything in sight, they can’t win without him either. They are in a political prison of their own making.

Wanna blame Trump for Herschel Walker? Fine, but DeSantis & Youngkin endorsed him too. Wanna blame Trump for Kari Lake? Fine, but DeSantis & Youngkin endorsed her too. Wanna blame Trump…

You get it. It’s not just Trump. They ALL endorsed ALL the crazies.

You want the "Trumpism" without Trump. The Rep were rotten to to core before... Trump just let it all out in the open.

And they like DeSantis because he’s low drama but high cruelty.
Yeah Desantis is a loser.

you’re pretty worked up over a dead party.

did no democrats endorse Fetterman? oh but he’s mainstream.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:03 PM   #1134
Jim in CT

so if the gop controls the house but not the senate, is democracy dead? half dead?
Old 11-15-2022, 07:37 PM   #1135
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Yeah Desantis is a loser.

did no democrats endorse Fetterman? oh but he’s mainstream.
Poor RINO

Here’s the radical platform Fetterman ran on

Make more stuff in America
Cut taxes for working people
Ban Congress from trading stocks
Slash “out of pocket” health care costs
End immoral price gouging

Just more stuff you’re against apparently?

Fetterman agreeing to a debate with those stakes, knowing an entire country would watch, in this cynical age of cheap commentary and social media chatter, while he was recovering from a stroke from just months ago, is one of the most personally courageous acts we will ever witness.

Unlike DeSanctimonious who disappeared when Covid was raging in his state

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-15-2022, 07:51 PM   #1136
Jim in CT

Quote:
Poor RINO

Here’s the radical platform Fetterman ran on

Make more stuff in America
Cut taxes for working people
Ban Congress from trading stocks
Slash “out of pocket” health care costs
End immoral price gouging

Just more stuff you’re against apparently?

Fetterman agreeing to a debate with those stakes, knowing an entire country would watch, in this cynical age of cheap commentary and social media chatter, while he was recovering from a stroke from just months ago, is one of the most personally courageous acts we will ever witness.

Unlike DeSanctimonious who disappeared when Covid was raging in his state
you left out letting murderers go free, abandoning the fillibuster, etc..

desperately Cherry picking to distort the truth, to fit the narrative. Why do you have to lie, to defeat a dead party.

maybe i am a rino given my stance on gay marriage and the death penalty and gun control.

I’ve asked many times, can you name any meaningful policy positions on which you disagree with liberals? Can you name one.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:32 PM   #1137
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
you left out letting murderers go free, abandoning the fillibuster, etc..

desperately Cherry picking to distort the truth, to fit the narrative. Why do you have to lie, to defeat a dead party.

maybe i am a rino given my stance on gay marriage and the death penalty and gun control.

I’ve asked many times, can you name any meaningful policy positions on which you disagree with liberals? Can you name one.
Poor RINO, those items are from Fettermans platform.

You like DeSantis because he’s low drama but high cruelty, like Dr Oz the dog killer.

Fetterman was on a board and anyone released was vetted by many others.

But apparently opposing mandatory life without parole makes a U.S. Senate candidate “pro-murderer”

Plenty of people would like to see the filibuster go, the procedure is not part of the US Constitution, becoming theoretically possible with a change of Senate rules only in 1806 and not used until 1837.
There have been more than 2,000 filibusters since 1917; about half have been in just the last 12 or so years since they’ve become effortless.
Just another reason Congress can’t function, but you think that’s good.

As far as your usual query, I’m still waiting to see your badge, Officer Fife….

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-15-2022, 08:36 PM   #1138
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Josh Hawley just now: “This election was the funeral for the Republican Party as we know it. The Republican Party is, as we have known it, is dead. Voters have made that clear—we are not a majority party.”

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-15-2022, 09:01 PM   #1139
Jim in CT

Quote:
Poor RINO, those items are from Fettermans platform.

You like DeSantis because he’s low drama but high cruelty, like Dr Oz the dog killer.

Fetterman was on a board and anyone released was vetted by many others.

But apparently opposing mandatory life without parole makes a U.S. Senate candidate “pro-murderer”

Plenty of people would like to see the filibuster go, the procedure is not part of the US Constitution, becoming theoretically possible with a change of Senate rules only in 1806 and not used until 1837.
There have been more than 2,000 filibusters since 1917; about half have been in just the last 12 or so years since they’ve become effortless.
Just another reason Congress can’t function, but you think that’s good.

As far as your usual query, I’m still waiting to see your badge, Officer Fife….
how come dems love the filibuster when they’re in the minority?

how can i be a maga trumplican and a RINO at the same time?
Old 11-15-2022, 11:26 PM   #1140
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
how come dems love the filibuster when they’re in the minority?

how can i be a maga trumplican and a RINO at the same time?
You’re a little schizophrenic?

Hearing GOPChairwoman is a total lock for re-election as chair....even after 3 disastrous cycles.

Know why? Total, unwavering, absolute loyalty to Trump.

Still think he doesn't control the party, top to bottom?

Well, possibly with the exception of you….but you’d still vote for him🤡

Lets Go Darwin