Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-13-2022, 06:31 AM   #1
Rmarsh

50 years ago

My wife... girlfriend at the time....began working at a nursing home as a dietary aid fifty years ago.....1972!
She was sixteen... and her mother, who already worked there said it was time for her to get a job. She was reluctant at first, thinking that working with old people was depressing. But she took the job.... and before long started to find from talking with the residents that their life stories of trials tribulations and struggles were interesting and compelling.

That job helped her pay her way through college where she earned her degree. She then got the job of being the social service director for the home.....meeting with every resident their families....and directly responsible for all admissions to the home.

She has been there through thirteen different administrators...all of whom found her to be thoroughly competent and devoted to the patients care and families concerns.
Fifty years of service at the same facility ...to be recognized today.

Yes....I am very proud of her!
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:40 AM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Very cool, sounds like those stories would make a good book, congrats.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #3
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Very cool, sounds like those stories would make a good book, congrats.
Thanks...Yes Bob... many people have confided things to her that they may have never told anyone else.
Lots of great stories ....some sad others incredibly uplifting. Funny stuff too ....and dilemmas like the husband that wanted to have conjugal visits with his patient wife ....or two recently acquainted patients jumping into bed with each other....consensual?
Judges doctors, lawyers,......factory workers..
all walks of life...they had a great advocate in her being involved in their final days.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:37 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

That certainly is something to be very proud of. Good for her! congratulations on the milestone

Awesome!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:33 PM   #5
Guppy
User

Congratulations Mrs Marsh,,,, honorable profession for sure…
Even more noteworthy would be the 50 yrs. putting up with this guy !

;-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:25 AM   #6
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Congratulations Mrs Marsh,,,, honorable profession for sure…
Even more noteworthy would be the 50 yrs. putting up with this guy !

;-)

Yup...Married 45 years ago..... I do have her on a pedestal and treat her like a queen....she deserves it.

At 67 years old she doesnt have a gray hair on her head.....I tell her its because shes never had to worry about me.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:58 AM   #7
beamie

Your wife is a special person for sure

My wife has been at the same nursing home for 26 years and has had various jobs. For the last 5 years doing exactly what your wife does

Between ships I worked there for a couple months doing handy work

I don’t know how people that work there permanently do it. It takes allot of compassion ang love to care for the elderly. Especially with demensia patients would don’t know where or who they are

Hats off for the people who do this

I’ve heard all the stories. Most upsetting is the occasion when a family member thinks their loved one is not getting good care. They don’t understand what it takes to care for their loved one. Part of my wife’s skill is to defuse that situation and explain why and how care is given

I don’t think I could do that job.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:40 AM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Both of your wives are Saints!

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:16 AM   #9
Rmarsh

[QUOTE=beamie;1232611]
I’ve heard all the stories. Most upsetting is the occasion when a family member thinks their loved one is not getting good care. They don’t understand what it takes to care for their loved one. Part of my wife’s skill is to defuse that situation and explain why and how care is given
/QUOTE

Yes...she deals with that situation a lot.
Many times it's the children who have neglected their parents that complain the most.....never having done any care giving themselves.

When she was asked to say a few words about her long career working with the elderly she spoke from the heart and it was clear that she still loves her job....she ended it with this.

I leave you with one message:
Be gentle on our residents... for they have lost everything, and they come to us when they are most vulnerable. We are the people that see them daily, the only ones that can make a
difference in their final days, months or years with our compassion and care.”
Thank you

Last edited by Rmarsh; 09-14-2022 at 02:25 PM..
Old 09-16-2022, 07:47 AM   #10
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

You must be very proud of her! You guys are a great example good people who work hard. May all the best come your way.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:54 AM   #11
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
You must be very proud of her! You guys are a great example good people who work hard. May all the best come your way.
Thank You! We grew up together.. married at 21 years old....raised our two boys....cared for her parents....still living in the same house that I built for us as a wedding gift in '77.

My fifty year milestone, working as a carpenter....building homes is coming next June.

If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.”

― Zig Ziglar

Last edited by Rmarsh; 09-20-2022 at 05:53 AM..
Old 09-22-2022, 04:55 AM   #12
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Awesome.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote