Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Lead Ban

Just posted this in PMueller's thread in the main forum.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...tml#post793653

There is not much time here. Please submit your comments.

Email received from Janns netcraft today.

OF INTEREST is here is the FIRST time I've read anywhere that this ban will involved lead INSIDE a lure or in a metal of a lure. If this is the case we got a SERIOUS problem here. I have read what I can on this and it didn't appear to involve any lead inside a lure. Up until now I wasn't very concerned about this. You got my attention when they start adding components and metals like brass etc.

NO MORE SPINNER BLADES? THEY'RE BRASS. Musky Lures, Bass spinnerbaits? Collect em now cuz there's about to be ALOT more people put out of work if this follows through.

Dear Scott:

We are contacting you to help us fight the proposed federal ban on all lead in fishing tackle.

On August 23, 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was petitioned by the Center for Biological Diversity and four other organizations to ban all lead in fishing tackle under the Toxic Substances Control Act. This includes sinkers, jigs, weighted fly line, and components that contain lead such as brass and ballast in a wide variety of lures, including spinner blades, stick baits and more.

A lead ban would significantly add to the cost of fishing tackle. Alternative materials cost from 6 to 15 times more than lead.

The EPA has opened the petition for public comment. Please join us in opposing the ban by sending your comments to the EPA by no later than September 15th, 2010.

It's quick and easy to submit your comment by Clicking Here.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

2 MORE DAYS FOR COMMENTS. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO DO THIS. This affects every person in this forum.

KUDOS to Scott Brown/his office for taking the time to reply. None of the others did.

Dear Mr. Bullock,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and lead use in hunting and fishing equipment. As always, I value your input on this and other issues, and strive to keep you updated on the important issues facing us today.

As you may know, on August 3, 2010, several petitioners wrote to the EPA asking for a ban on the manufacture, processing and sale of lead shot, bullets, and fishing sinkers. The EPA is required by law to respond to any petition within 90 days. While the EPA has stated that they do not have the authority to ban the use of lead in shot and bullets, they are still considering the request to ban lead in the use of fishing sinkers.

I understand your concerns regarding the impact of this regulation on both recreational and commercial fishing. Our fishing industry is one of the Commonwealth's oldest industries and has played a significant role in shaping our state's history. In recognition of the importance of these issues, I have passed along your concerns to the EPA. In addition, public comments will be accepted until November 1, 2010, by visiting Regulations.gov.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Should you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact me or visit my website at www.scottbrown.senate.gov.

Sincerely,
Scott P. Brown
United States Senator
Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Raven

Exclamation GOT MY REPLY FROM bOTH

the guy with the yaught
kerries came back in two days

and scott browns office just today

A week and a half later Scott's auto response computer kicked in

sending the same letter

interesting that he or his office says "SEVERAL people" petitioned
the EPA

well we can come up with more than several petitioners i hope.

do it guys -> who haven't yet
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

I voiced my concerns but this is the line in their petition that I found troubling.

"As
of 1994 approximately 800,000 to 1.6 million people in the United States manufactured
lead fishing weights in their homes, often in enclosed garages or basements, representing
approximately one-third of the lead sinkers produced in the country"

my question is, who in the right mind would pour lead in the basement or an enclosed garage without any ventilation?..I'm pretty sure all the people I know who make lead shot, or pour jigs, and sinkers, that ventilation is the number one rule along with the precautionary safety equipment.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
VTBasser
Veni, vidi, piscori!

Done.

But how could they check the inside of a plug without destroying it?

Thanks for taking me fishing Grandpa!

SCP - Stephen's Custom Plugs .... (Not a company - just a mindset!)
VTBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

license money will pay for portable xray machines to check for lead

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

What's even more troubling Johnny is what is going to happen to this entire industry. All they are going to do is drive more of this BS underground than it already is. It's not going to go away it's just going more black/guerilla market than it is now. Will be interesting to see where this goes. There are no economical alternatives to this right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny ducketts View Post
I voiced my concerns but this is the line in their petition that I found troubling.

"As
of 1994 approximately 800,000 to 1.6 million people in the United States manufactured
lead fishing weights in their homes, often in enclosed garages or basements, representing
approximately one-third of the lead sinkers produced in the country"

my question is, who in the right mind would pour lead in the basement or an enclosed garage without any ventilation?..I'm pretty sure all the people I know who make lead shot, or pour jigs, and sinkers, that ventilation is the number one rule along with the precautionary safety equipment.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
pmueller
Captain Pete

Thanks Scott
pmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Anyone heard anything else about this now? It's been very quiet.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Anyone heard anything else about this now? It's been very quiet.
a good read
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

holy crap i'm going to have buy a crap load of leadcore line and start hoarding it I guess

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #12
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

"Oh goody. That’s one thing we all need, something to keep more lawyers happily engaged. Cha ching."

Old 10-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #13
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I believe a consensus can be reached on fishing stuff. Limit sizes of lead and exempt impregregnated parts or parts that have lead traces in them.

I dunno about the hunting. That's a tougher one. Unfortunately fishing is getting lumped with this and it makes it harder.