Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
Rmarsh

The gun manufacturers are protected from product liability lawsuits.
The NRA heavily lobbied congress to pass a bill that gives them immunity from lawsuits being filed by victims killed or harmed by their products. I say that they should be held to the same standard every other business is held to which is if you make a product that kills thousands of innocent people you are going to pay for the damage it has created. Even the huge auto manufacturers cant buy that kind of protection.

Maybe I am not fully informed, but for the thousands of senseless killings that i read and hear about every day, there are very, very few stories of vigilanties to the rescue.

I am a gun owner myself but I see an obvious double standard here.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post

The gun manufacturers are protected from product liability lawsuits.

Even the huge auto manufacturers cant buy that kind of protection.

I am a gun owner myself but I see an obvious double standard here.
I'm pretty sure if you run someone over with your car today the victim's family cannot sue the manufacturer of your car for damages...or maybe they could try but that would be ridiculous, would it not??
Old 01-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I'm pretty sure if you run someone over with your car today the victim's family cannot sue the manufacturer of your car for damages...or maybe they could try but that would be ridiculous, would it not??
They can sue the operator of the vehicle for negligence or the manufacturer if the car has an inherently dangerous defect like the ford truck gas tanks that killed people. Car companies get sued all the time. So why not gun companies....the answer I believe is that congress can be bought for the right price and was bribed.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
scottw

Quote:
They can sue the operator of the vehicle for negligence or the manufacturer if the car has an inherently dangerous defect like the ford truck gas tanks that killed people. Car companies get sued all the time. So why not gun companies....the answer I believe is that congress can be bought for the right price and was bribed.
we're not talking about mechanical defects
Old 01-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
Rmarsh

No...not defects...even worse.... a product specifically designed to maim or kill.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:
No...not defects...just a product specifically designed to maim or kill.
oh...so now instead of lumping them in together you want them treated differently....soooo...if you get mad and shoot up a mall with a gun the gun manufacturer should be sued but if you get mad and drive your car through a mall....the car manufacturer should be sued or not.... since a car is not a "product specifically designed to maim or kill".....I'm confused

please explain the difference...

and Google "knife infatada" and “Save a Life–Surrender Your Knife” and tell me if knife manufacturers should be sued when their products are misused

for the record, i don't own a gun, I'm not an NRA member and I've never watched Fox News
Old 01-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Rmarsh

Every case is different so I don't lump everything together.
I would like to see all companies held to the same standard and they are not. Civil cases are for juries to decide.