Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 05-17-2021, 06:35 AM   #91
Linesider82

I finally had a weekend day without work or baseball, so we hit the CT river yesterday morning at 3AM. There was a ton of sticks and logs which made the dark run to get to where we wanted to be for daybreak a tedious exercise. I managed to not see one about 30" long by the width of a half dollar.... Which really isn't a big deal however it got stuck between the OB and the stern. At a 20 mph plane it was pulling a significant amount water into the boat over the stern. So after finding that we had much better time because our first encounter with the water was "where's all this water from" and had no idea the stick was the culprit.

Got my buddy Jon on his best bass to date at 24# and my buddy Evan on his best Northern Pike at 35 inches. Caught a bunch of schoolies too and the show on the water was fun to watch with bass blitzing herring into the air only to get picked off by bald eagles.

I'll put up a pic or two when I get to the computer.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Linesider82; 05-17-2021 at 09:38 AM..
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:28 AM   #92
Linesider82

Before heading out yesterday, Saturday I had to come up with a makeshift rod storage thing because I am waiting on a rocket launcher and mount to be made. So I used my old plastic ones which I can't use now due to the overhang of the hardtop, just screwed them into a milk crate and strapped it down.
KIMG1496 (1).jpg

KIMG1506 (1).jpg

KIMG1509 (1).jpg
Old 05-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #93
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post
Before heading out yesterday, Saturday I had to come up with a makeshift rod storage thing because I am waiting on a rocket launcher and mount to be made. So I used my old plastic ones which I can't use now due to the overhang of the hardtop, just screwed them into a milk crate and strapped it down.
Attachment 68008

Attachment 68009

Attachment 68010
What a Day!
All the work you put into that boat and have a day like that !!
You earned it for sure,,, hell of a good story.... congrats
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:05 AM   #94
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
What a Day!
All the work you put into that boat and have a day like that !!
You earned it for sure,,, hell of a good story.... congrats
Thanks Gup
Old 06-05-2021, 11:16 PM   #95
Linesider82

After a few sea trials I have concluded that everything is good where it is so I set the console in with new SS hardware and marine adhesive, adjusted the leaning post and set that as well.

Since adding courtesy lights to the leaning post I hid/protected the wire by routing out a channel on the backside of a helm pad before peeling the 3m backing.

Ordered a Black Oak 6" LED combo spot / spreader for the bow which mounted perfectly just behind the bumper rail, and wired that in.

The last thing to do is have a mount made of 1.5 or 2 inch stainless tube to accept a rocket launcher for rod storage on the hardtop.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #96
Linesider82

I still haven't mounted the permanent rod holder I picked up.
I've been using Yankee ingenuity aka a milk crate with my old plastic holders drilled into the sides to get the job done. I do like the open access to the milk crate too for stuff that can get wet like tackle bags etc, and it's a simple catch-all that can be removed after an outting and hosed off.

Father's day weekend I trailered the skiff to northern VT / lake Champlain to the camp my grandfather bought in the early 80s. We've always entered the tournament that occurs annually on father's day weekend, the LCI father's day derby. It is the send off of "opening day" the first day you can catch and keep smallmouth bass which is probably the "flagship" species of the lake (at least in my opinion). The tournament lasts 3 days, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. At it's height there was probably around 5,000 registrants and you wouldn't know it because the lake is 490 square miles, or about 37% the size of LIS.

It feels like the sound too, there is current due to constricted water ways and steep watersheds that fill the various parts of the lake at different rates, obviously nothing like tidal currents but accounts for why so many ATVs and sleds go thru the ice each year. It also gets mean quickly, glass calm to a 4' chop in 30 mins, which I've experienced many times over the past 30 years.
IMG_20210627_194307_799.jpg

Saturday morning I checked the forecast and saw a nice opportunity to pound some chop and get in the lee of an island for northern pike, which would let up around 1 pm and allow for a move after. My Uncle Anthony joined us for this trip and he was my mate for the day. He hadn't fished much since his teens and I just said "you're gonna catch fish." No other boats made the move I did so we had about a mile stretch to ourselves. The skiff felt like a godsend and allowed me to get there easily when typically I'd have been in my old 14' aluminum. We spent an hour without luck casting which seemed odd to me, so we went into a troll mode. I used the electronics to weave a weed line and Ant's first fish was a decent 33" pike that went 8lbs on the scale. His next fish was an 11lb pike on the scale and I was ecstatic to share that with him. All the equipment was my own so I knew he had a decent fish with the drag pulling out like it did.

My goal, which didn't come to fruition was to troll a plug i made in deeper water for pike but they just didn't want any standard type crankbaits. They wanted the thump of oversized spinner baits. I had caught some decent fish on it last year but not one for this trip.

IMG_20210627_194307_782.jpg
Old 07-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #97
Linesider82

While my uncle Ant was catching I was playing around with the electronics, I noticed a lot of the contours were not correct, and chocked it up to the lake level being significantly low for the time of year. Typically the 3rd saturday in June means the water is up against the road embankment along Rte 2. This year we had about 10' of "beach" meaning severe drought & smallmouth bass likely on beds or even post spawn. My dad fished about 10 miles north of us and sent me a text of a 4.40lb smallmouth. I texted him back did he enter Anthony as a teammate for the tournament which I already knew the answer to. "no" was his reply and I said "good, because you'd probably be in first place for teams with two good fish." He replied, "what'd you get?" ... My dad's bass went 19th of 500 entered smallmouth, and Anthony's pike would have gone 10th or 11th, but the entire tournament allows for combined species of similar styles of fishing on a prorated scale of points per pound of fish. I haven't brought myself to do the math but they would have been in prize money for teams for sure.

back to the electronics, I marked a bunch of things I was interested in and had seen the auto contour setting in the past but couldn't for the life of me find it the first day. Anthony and I caught some smallies on some reefs and I noted the side of the reefs they preferred to revisit later.
KIMG1679.jpg
small fish but worth its weight in gold. We putz around and went to dock at a gift shop / weigh station to get sandwiches. Anthony had to experience the Thomas Jefferson sandwich, which is a turkey sandwich on a fresh baked roll with cranberry mayo and red onions. After that he said he needed a nap, so I dropped him off and waited out a fast hit storm before grabbing my brother and hitting the water again. Still saturday, we blasted back out to the pike grounds for a few dinks, then hit some smallie territory where we caught some decent fish.
IMG_20210627_194307_755.jpg

IMG_20210627_194307_656.jpg

I managed to mark an edge that I love for walleye, but still hadnt turned on the auto contour. the NOAA data was not showing some major reefs at all, which is fine because a lot of people miss it but at the same time needed attention to fish properly.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #98
Linesider82

1 for 5 on walleye

first of many right? the schools of bait marked by the electronics were exciting to say the least. big marks heading up through the masses revealed feeding walleye. I made the stupid comment of "we're gonna get them" I missed 4 of 5 on an ebay purchase of the berkley friendzy (discontinued crankbait) and I've been thinking about it since. It wasn't until I re-rigged a stouter rod that on troll the fish was caught. Same line, lure, leader, just a better setup made the difference.

IMG_20210619_235844_751.jpg
IMG_20210627_194307_773.jpg
KIMG1695.jpg

Sunday was a repeat just full glass water to maybe a 1.0' chop, we trolled some awesome bass up around 3.5-4.0 lbs but no monsters.

both nights I got to use my new headlight/spotlight which was awesome in its momentary use, and the radar felt like a godsend running back to the ramp after midnight in a downpour sat into sunday, and sunday into monday of that weekend. It worked because it allowed me to "see" the boats along the way in my path before I could physically see them.

One of the coolest things was on Saturday into Sunday night, I was watching the water running the 4 miles to the ramp. I asked my brother to pay attention to the radar blimps, he said "Hey matt, I don't know what this is but it's moving" I came off throttle a bit, and said "what color is it?" He replied "blue" I stopped the boat and we watched as a loon or cormorant went across the screen. My brother and I finished the night with an intense game of cribbage before finding a spot to sleep for what seemed like a minute before fishing again.

**forgot to add, monday was 3-4 foot waves** didn't even bother.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #99
Guppy
User

You must live right… LOL
awesome weekend, congrats
Old 07-08-2021, 07:42 AM   #100
wdmso

Nice smallmouth haven’t caught them in like forever, what a multi use hull nice shallow draft for freshwater easy to trailer sweet best of both worlds :
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #101
Linesider82

Quote:
You must live right… LOL
awesome weekend, congrats
I work like an idiot, then play hard too LOL
Old 07-08-2021, 01:18 PM   #102
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Nice smallmouth haven’t caught them in like forever, what a multi use hull nice shallow draft for freshwater easy to trailer sweet best of both worlds :
With the house on top it was an expensive trip for trailering. I need a V8 but that's for sometime in the distant future.
Wish I left it up there for 2 weeks because we went back this past weekend. Spoiled by the electronics.

The past trip was family based, catching frogs and turtles with the boys. My dad showed my 6 y/o how to use a piece of a red oil rag to catch bullfrogs on a rod and reel. Best laugh you could ever hear.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:34 PM   #103
Linesider82

I did sneak out in the morning and got a nice one from the shore

KIMG1768.jpg

**maybe john r can rotate that I didn't think it'd come in that way
Old 07-26-2021, 11:35 PM   #104
Linesider82

Cape poge bay kids caught tons of porgy (scup) I filleted 30 of them. Took a sharp knife and a dumb dad to do it LOL

Epic boating/ fishing trip story to follow.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #105
Linesider82

MV 2021

Had a 2 week family vacation to MV. This was the first trip in 20 years where I trailered a boat out to expand our adventures on the island.

The island was shrouded in fog when we first arrived, so the first day we launched inside Katama pond with the goal of motoring thru Edgartown harbor and then get into Cape Poge for some family fishing, swimming and sight seeing. The fog was thick in the morning, especially being close to the Norton point barrier beach along the south side of the island. The radar worked awesome because the visibility was only 50' or so until it broke up just south of Edgartown harbor area.

We had a destination in mind to get out of the boat and swim and just before reaching our spot we found a 15' hole inside of cape poge stacked with porgy so the boys spent a while catching them on epoxy jigs tipped with squid. I tried throwing them back, but the boys insisted on keeping them and ended up with 30 to fillet.

Prior to the start of the vacation, I had already planned a fishing trip with my surf casting partner, weather dependent whether it would be in the surf or from the boat. He took off a Friday from work, and the weather cooperated to be a perfect boating day. Even though the tog limit was 1 fish per day/person I wanted to target them and see if I could find a larger fish so I picked a bunch of asain crabs the day before. I left from the VH ramp in the dark and motored across to Falmouth harbor which is absolutely an incredible harbor to pick him up at 5AM, we headed SW and threw some eels into the rocks along Squibnocket only to get bitten off by blues and we decided to leave when a giant seal popped up. Headed SW again and fished some boulders for tog around the SE side of Noman's caught some small BSB and tog which we released because we wanted something larger. Got a text from a friend who said he wasn't going to make it out with his boat, so we pulled anchor and headed SW again to the ledge off Noman's. Our first drop with vertical jigs produced 2 BSB around 22" and we knew this was gonna be an exciting day, the action never stopped and we only moved to get back over structure. We caught cod, blackfish, bsb, and giant porgy on both tog jigs and vertical jigs, we left when our arms were jello. Sharks stole some of our BSB while reeling in which made for some good fights and spool dumping runs until the line cut. It was like fishing at SeaWorld LOL. It was so good, we made the same trip again a week later when the weather and sea conditions allowed.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #106
Linesider82

93468.jpeg

93471.jpeg

I have to resize some others
Old 08-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #107
Linesider82

KIMG1859.jpg

KIMG2074.jpg

P8010778 (1).jpg
Old 08-10-2021, 04:40 PM   #108
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Great report!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:42 PM   #109
Linesider82

This is the breaker box I used for my electrical build, which is nice to not have to carry fuses.

https://newwiremarine.com/product/12...eid=30cecc96de
Old 08-25-2021, 06:43 AM   #110
Guppy
User

Quote:
This is the breaker box I used for my electrical build, which is nice to not have to carry fuses.

https://newwiremarine.com/product/12...eid=30cecc96de
I shouldda…..
Those breakers cost less than smart fuses…… geeesh
Old 08-25-2021, 09:44 AM   #111
wdmso

Quote:
That’s a crazy looking bottom at 80ft
You think all tog?
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #112
Linesider82

Quote:
You think all tog?
No all seabass. They were so thick a 160g jig was stopping on their backs. They were not stacked like that on my first trip, the catch was more varied with a higher ratio of quality fish. On the second trip we had to get away from the seabass to find anything else as well as finding BSB over 20"
Old 08-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #113
Guppy
User

Quote:
You think all tog?
Thinking Friday Westport….. ;-)
Old 08-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #114
Linesider82

Quote:
Thinking Friday Westport….. ;-)
I'd go!
Old 09-27-2021, 01:43 PM   #115
Linesider82

Wiring and Connectors

Ross asked me to add this in the thread:
Originally Posted by nightfighter
"Looking at wire crimp connectors and a company called solderstick, for waterproof connections. Do I need many connectors? What gauge wire did you find you most used? What connections would you recommend for ends? Just spending a few minutes on the winter plan....and wondering what you most recommend now that you have been there... Fuel tank on my list too.
Thanks"

Hey Ross,

I actually did test out those low heat solder connectors and had some failures even doing it in an ideal test scenario. I also noticed the blue glue rings would sometimes melt first and fill-in the bare wire before the solder portion locked them together with the conductivity needed. In my opinion it is likely that the connection you want to make between two wires won’t be 100% especially if you are joining a wire while on your back reaching into a tight area to do so.

I like the BSP heat shrink crimp connectors over the Ancor brand, I think they offer better quality, a longer heatshrink tube length at a better price than the Ancor.

I used 5 tools for all my wiring needs, a razor knife, a wire cutter, Klein tools 11063W wire stripper 8-20g $30, Klein tools 3005CR ratcheting crimper $27, and the Wagner HT400 heatgun which has two temps $22. I had zero pull test failures with the Klein tools crimper so I was happy with that.

I used 14 gauge Ancor wire for all my accessories, in most cases it was more than enough but it is also more robust than using 16g which is fairly thin wire. I don't have a bilge pump on my boat so I am unsure of how those get wired but my guess is it would have both wiring so it is always "on" via a float switch and a separate wiring to activate it manually, my point in bringing up the bilge pump is that it likely requires larger gauge wire because pumps require more amps.

Standardizing the wire size at 14g made it easier to come up with a part list. It was easy to purchase all 14g connectors as opposed to running minimum wire sizes to each accessory. Some challenges might occur with LED lights particularly different brands of light fixtures. For example wiring any lumitec light was fairly easy because they use larger wire size, the fixtures don’t require it but the company utilizes 18-14g wire because they know it’s going to be connected to 16-14g wire in almost every instance, however Lumitec did not have the NAV light design I wanted and I used some European brand that used a 22g wire that I had to strip, double over the copper, crimp to a 16 connector, then step up to 14g. I did that for the sole purpose of a strong connection.

End connections: Every accessory running through a switch on your console’s dash will require (4) ring connectors, you could do it in two (by skipping a terminal strip) but it makes more sense to utilize a terminal strip after the switch wiring. My wiring setup is a 2 battery system, on the House battery positive terminal I have a 40A ignition protected fuse (the 40A fuse is rated slightly over the total amperage rating if I ran everything at the same time) to a positive wire that runs to my main kill switch, then runs to a 40A thermal fuse, to my circuit breaker (I could have used a fuse panel interchangeably here) . Each breaker provides surge protection for each accessory, the breakers are rated to the accessory or multiple accessories connected to one switch. At the breaker (or fuse panel) the first ring connector is needed, this positive wire then runs to the on/off switch (lights) or momentary switch (horn), then switch positive runs to a terminal strip which is the second ring connector, opposite that terminal strip ring connector is the third ring connector positive wire that runs to the accessory you wish to power. The reason for the terminal strip is if you need to replace a run of wire, bundle accessory connections, upgrade etc in the future it provides a breakout point & labeling of accessory opportunity. Also since it is a breakout point if an accessory fails to work, it provides isolated sections to test for voltage. The positive wire runs to the load (light, horn, etc) and the negative from the accessory runs back to a negative common bus bar terminating at the fourth ring connector which runs to the common main negative bus, the battery negative & ultimately a single boat ground.

This wiring provides 1. Ignition surge protection at the battery (in my case the 40A battery fuse) 2. Protection after the switch of every accessory (in my case the 40A thermal-resettable fuse non-ignition protected). 3. Individual circuit protection (individual breakers or fuses in the panel). Each fuse and/or breaker provides protection at the source of power in case of a short or amperage surge condition.

Since the ring connectors I bought were non-heat shrink, nylon insulated I also bought white and black 3:1 heat shrink tubing which just has to be slightly wider than the nylon end jackets on the ring terminals to make them water tight, and hit each ring end connector with dielectric grease before screwing them into place. After all are in place, I used a small paint brush to once-over all the ring connectors on the circuit breaker, the terminal strips, and negative bus bars because this provides corrosion protection and should be done annually.

I didn’t label my negatives at the bus bar but wish I had so if I were to do it again I’d have only purchased white H/S tubing and labeled them with a fine tip sharpie marker then shrunk it.

This next bit of info is for anyone with a T top or hardtop:
I could have saved a ton of 14g wire length by separating the accessories installed in the T top VS. the accessories anywhere else in the boat by installing a small switch panel in the overhead glove box and ran larger (8gauge) positive and negative cables to a separate circuit breaker in the overhead compartment. If I did that I’d have only 2 cables running up there instead of 14. I realized this option after reading Nigel Calder's book a second time, but I had also already designed my switch panel and that opportunity had passed.
Had I done that I would have had an easily accessible area now to install a stereo, speakers and permanant VHF without pulling any more wires up to the overhead glove box. Hindsight is 20/20.

Overall I have had no issues and have made a ton of trips this year, the radar and spotlight have been my favorite additions. One thing I have noticed while on the water running at night is that my small boat "looks bigger" to anyone else on the water because my nav lights are 7 or 8 feet off the water and my anchor 360 light is about 11 feet off the water.

I'm pumped for tog season opening soon here in CT.