Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 04-21-2021, 01:54 PM   #61
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
How thick/tall is that pad?
1" tall, the entire back is a 3m adhesive.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #62
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post
I almost lost two bean bag chairs the first trip while trailering to the ramp despite doubling up on ratchet straps they were literally airborne, thank god they were looped around rod holders hahaha. Now they go under a cargo net lesson learned.

I bought 15lb hook and loop velcro and thought I'd do the leaning post cushion with that but I can see the material collecting crab guts, squid and whatever other bait in the material. Good call on the tool holder idea, I've wanted to add something to secure the boga and handheld vhf.
Saw some place guys throw a 10lb lead scuba weight the shot type in their bean bags chairs help if your underway and no one is in them
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #63
Guppy
User

Finished my new combo machine and radar install...as usual more, work than i expected...
Cut out some donuts to raise it up a little...

Pics here,,, I think ;-)

New Electronics Install page

http://tacklethatworks.com
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #64
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Finished my new combo machine and radar install...as usual more, work than i expected...
Cut out some donuts to raise it up a little...

Pics here,,, I think ;-)

New Electronics Install page

http://tacklethatworks.com
Nice job, yes it was more work than expected to install the radar. I had watched a YouTube install of the same unit but older and garmin changed the configuration of where that little cable retainer plate is located. IMO where it is located now is not as good as where it originally was at least for hiding the wires.

Oh well. I'm still waiting on my transducer. Getting tempted to buy the combo then just sell the unit it comes bundled with.... 🤔
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-24-2021, 08:12 PM   #65
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Had a conversation with a very good boat builder yesterday. (He added three feet to the transoms of a couple well known tuna boats the past two years.) Discussing my rewiring project after this season, he urged me to buy wire, buss bars, Ancor products, etc now as he sees a real shortage coming in these products coming from China. So I need to get my act together or have a couple folks suggest what they would have me buy...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #66
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Had a conversation with a very good boat builder yesterday. (He added three feet to the transoms of a couple well known tuna boats the past two years.) Discussing my rewiring project after this season, he urged me to buy wire, buss bars, Ancor products, etc now as he sees a real shortage coming in these products coming from China. So I need to get my act together or have a couple folks suggest what they would have me buy...
Ross give these guys a look and see what they offer... bought a lot of my boat wiring supplies from them...website says made in America. You will need heavier gauge wire from batteries to motor and to pos and neg bussbars to distribute power to accesories through a fused switch panel using smaller gauge wire(blue seas makes some nice switch panels)..............https://www.genuinedealz.com/
I just checked and they are out of stock on some items....so good idea to start gathering supplies now if possible
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #67
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Thanks RMarsh! Wow, I saw more sold out than available in the switches and tinned wire.... I might already be late to the party. At least my target date is for next season, so I have plenty of time. Just another red flag about how screwed we are....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #68
Rmarsh

Blue Seas....another source for marine electrical supplies ..
www.bluesea.com/ I got one of their switch panels similar to this one...
https://dh778tpvmt77t.cloudfront.net...ducts/4309.jpg
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:12 PM   #69
Linesider82

My agm batteries came in from impact battery. They had the lowest price (it actually was lower with free shipping than Defender's big "sale")

Also, garmin's GT56uhd-tm transducer I found from the bass tank in stock, called them to make sure. I had one on order since Jan where I got my electronics from and they still couldn't give me a date. Should be here this weekend
Old 04-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #70
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82;

Also, garmin's GT56uhd-tm transducer I found from the bass tank in stock, called them to make sure. I had one on order since Jan where I got my electronics from and they still couldn't give me a date. Should be here this weekend
[size=1
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/size]
Got the same ducer it’s longer than I expected , haven’t played with it a lot did find some tires using the side scan I hadn’t seen before , what’s your take on standard chirp or clear view my old striker had both but they were not any better than traditional view that I could tell
Old 04-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #71
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Got the same ducer it’s longer than I expected , haven’t played with it a lot did find some tires using the side scan I hadn’t seen before , what’s your take on standard chirp or clear view my old striker had both but they were not any better than traditional view that I could tell
Chirp is a range of frequencies which translates to better target separation. Traditional sonar is a single frequency so if you go over a school of bass for instance it would "see" the top and maybe some of the bottom of the school. It would "look" like two schools. With chirp you'll likely see that the school is actually completely thick with fish from top to bottom it'll show the individual fish for the most part.

I cannot wait to install the ducer so I can start figuring everything out.

We put the boat in tonight! I'm so excited. We left the dog home because I didn't know if the CTDeep put the docks in yet. We ran about 30 miles r/t from East Haddam north on the CT river to Portland, I wanted to get to middletown but a rain storm cut us off. The boat with the console had zero change in performance. I thought for sure id lose some top speed but we actually hit the fastest I've ever done, and the hole shot felt just as good.

I'll put up some pics when I get to the computer.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:57 PM   #72
Linesider82

"Hit my goal"

I knew April was aggressive for this project, thankfully we didn't have much rain. The move to get the console in the boat before I was done with wiring etc was good and bad. It was good because the console is in the boat before the construction year really takes off. It was also good because I got to spend the day with my Dad. It was bad because "now" all of my tools and power had to be relocated into the elements and away from my garage lighting. The project is not finished by any means but the important milestone of a sea trial (even if the sea was the CT river) was accomplished. What I learned was that the boat still hops out of the water onto plane out of the hole. Not only did we not lose top end speed, we actually hit 1mph faster than I ever ran it. Also... My eldest son James (6) asked the best question I ever heard, "So are we taking rods or what?" He's wise beyond his age.

At the launch, double ramp, I always try to launch with the wind pushing the boat into the dock, and take out opposite. I see a boat seemingly rushing across the river to the ramp and intermittently pausing. I said to my wife take the kids to the side so we get the correct side, I back up and see this person coming in behind me like I didn't exist but he yelled that he was breaking down. Ran and grabbed his boat before it was going to hit the concrete ramp. If it wasn't after 6pm and not my first put-in I'd have helped the guy get his boat on his trailer. Felt bad and also was curious of the failure but had to tell myself do what you are here to do. My son James said he wanted to help so I showed him how to switch lines, and he did it perfectly. He wanted to hold the lines too but I was unsure with a 10mph south wind and that console if it would pull him in so I had my wife hold & tie off the lines.
KIMG1366.jpg
My little guy was fighting wearing his PFD but he was "okay" when I put mine on too.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:22 AM   #73
Linesider82

backing up a bit in time

before our launch tonight:

KIMG1360.jpg

I installed the batteries, set temporary screws in so the wouldn't bounce or move, and tightened down the wires. I did notice one good thing I did and one error. I installed (2) volt meters. One for the start battery and one for the house, both batteries are the same make and model group 27 AGM marine Northstars. They are 8-10 year batteries if maintained properly, a big upfront cost which made me throw up a bit but the down the road cost is way less than standard lead acid and a higher safety level at least I believe so. The onboard charger I purchased was the mini add a battery plus by blueseas which worked as advertised tonight because while we were running it was charging both batteries, and while the engine was off in the yard I could see some voltage drop on the house battery over the course of several hours while playing with lights and electronics.

KIMG1388.jpg

terrible pic but the bottom is my start and top is the house battery voltage after our run, I had the house down to 12.3 or so before we started our first splash. Back to my hookups of the batteries to the volt meters, I hooked up the positive lead of the house battery after the switch and the start battery before. In other words there is a draw on the start battery all the time just because of the meter. So I need to change the location of that lead to the motor feed side of the main switch. In other words, when the main switch is off, so should the meter be off. I will need to disconnect & pull out the batteries anyways to get the transducer wire pulled and connected, so I'll do that all at the same time, and hopefully secure and connect my ethernet cable from the radar to the chartplotter in one shot.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:25 AM   #74
Linesider82

pics

the-boys-1.jpg

watching-for-logs.jpg

the-boys-2.jpg
Old 04-29-2021, 12:27 AM   #75
Linesider82

more

obligatory-selfie.jpg

Jman.jpg

first-run-end.jpg
Old 04-29-2021, 12:43 AM   #76
Linesider82

at home

my current phone takes terrible pics but you get the idea.

the spreaders are stupid bright, I may try to figure out a dimmer to tone down the rear spreaders. Or just leave it alone to communicate with the Aliens from "Close Encounters" do-do-do-do-doooo.

KIMG1385.jpg

The lumitec arubas for courtesy lights I really liked because they have a translucent housing which will provide light in a fish box / cooler area without spilling light over the beams but providing light to move around the deck.
KIMG1386.jpg
KIMG1387.jpg

That's it for now. I'll get a video up once everything is truly complete.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:15 AM   #77
Guppy
User

Awesome build and even better happy kids.... great job
Old 04-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #78
wdmso

Looks great and I like how the blue lights aren’t to intense most blue I see on most boats are blinding. As for the spreader lights you can never be too bright . Or have to much light if and when you need it
Old 04-30-2021, 07:15 AM   #79
Linesider82

Thanks guys.

While I was out on the water I noticed when I was w.o.t. my hand accidentally pressed the SOS button located lower right on the tabbed Garmin main menu. Anyone mess around with theirs enough to know if it can be disabled, locked, removed or the menu bar relocated to the top of the screen?
Old 04-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #80
wdmso

quick question those can cozies I was looking at them do they really not fall over ?
Old 04-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #81
Linesider82

Quote:
quick question those can cozies I was looking at them do they really not fall over ?
They're awesome. I've had them to 70 mph towing without them moving/tipping. And in some rough seas w/o issue.

I could see it happen if a surface was already wet everywhere they might slide. But I haven't had it happen from 80 degree to 25 degree air temps.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #82
Linesider82

Looking for recommendations on hard top rod holders.

https://krypt-t-tops.com/products/do...MaAkvOEALw_wcB

Anyone have that one?
Old 05-01-2021, 09:52 PM   #83
Linesider82

Didn't hear the mail come and walked outside and noticed my transducer sitting on the steps. Had an hour before my son's baseball game and installed the transducer. I had downloaded the install guide first along with the mounting template. IMO it wasn't very accurate in regards to the height relationship of the actual mount. So instead of 3mm below the bottom of the boat I'm probably 8mm ... Hopefully it doesn't result in a rooster tail. Another note, if using a transom saver as opposed to drilling into the hull for mounting, I would recommend using a smaller drill bit than a 5/32" that the directions call for. The transom saver material is soft and I would have preferred a tighter fitment of the mounting screws along with a marine adhesive/sealant.

After baseball my other mail call of the day arrived which was the garmin RJ45 cable ends (ethernet) this cable is for my radar data which I cut because there was about 50'. There's a good youtube video on how to cut and install the cable end and since there are 2 configurations I had saved the end I cut to match the color order to the original end. The order is also printed in the box you get with these ends. The other reason you might need this info is pairing two displays. I made one about 16" long to run between my 1243 and the 942. The set of 2 garmin RJ45 ends and an 8pin crimper is about $28.

Anyways those 2 installs finished all of my wiring to 100% complete.

I tried the radar in the driveway but have no real sense of if it worked correctly. I wish a car drove by while I was checking it out.

Here's a quick video of my console
https://youtu.be/FgytD-xBfgo
Old 05-02-2021, 07:22 AM   #84
wdmso

Not sure if your running the 943 and which dome I am running a 18in fantom and I have a heading sensor , I needed to do a calibration test so the radar overlay matched the chart. The manual said do a 1 1/2 circle keeping the boat level in either direction best I could get was 87% , then I matched my compass heading with my GPS on NSEW all were plus or minus 1 degree. I think this is recommended even with out the heading sensor
Old 05-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #85
Guppy
User

Quote:
Not sure if your running the 943 and which dome I am running a 18in fantom and I have a heading sensor , I needed to do a calibration test so the radar overlay matched the chart. The manual said do a 1 1/2 circle keeping the boat level in either direction best I could get was 87% , then I matched my compass heading with my GPS on NSEW all were plus or minus 1 degree. I think this is recommended even with out the heading sensor
I haven’t had time to do more than just turn it on.... :-(
Old 05-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #86
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I haven’t had time to do more than just turn it on.... :-(
Same here I finished the boat just in time for construction season to break loose haha. Now I can fill it with topsoil, move it to the backyard and plant tomatoes in it LOL
Old 05-03-2021, 03:22 PM   #87
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post
my current phone takes terrible pics but you get the idea.

the spreaders are stupid bright, I may try to figure out a dimmer to tone down the rear spreaders. Or just leave it alone to communicate with the Aliens from "Close Encounters" do-do-do-do-doooo.

Attachment 67918

The lumitec arubas for courtesy lights I really liked because they have a translucent housing which will provide light in a fish box / cooler area without spilling light over the beams but providing light to move around the deck.
Attachment 67919
Attachment 67920

That's it for now. I'll get a video up once everything is truly complete.
Beautiful. I NEED to buy another boat.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #88
fishgolf

So that is a great and epic story that should be archived and referenced for years! Great job and thanks for the play by play. Hope you have great luck fishing and spending time with the family.
fishgolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #89
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Beautiful. I NEED to buy another boat.
Thanks Paul
Old 05-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #90
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgolf View Post
So that is a great and epic story that should be archived and referenced for years! Great job and thanks for the play by play. Hope you have great luck fishing and spending time with the family.
Thanks fishgolf glad you enjoyed the process. I did. My son James can't wait.