Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 09-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
Tim Reams

Question repairing 2 pc. rod

I have an old 2 pc. surf rod that I need some Ideas. The rod plugs straight into the reel seat. Problem the ferrel at the end of the rod was "glued" back on crooked. I have removed & cleaned out cork sheeting & mystery substance. The rod is 5/8" the ferrel is about 7/8. Should I use layers of string and epoxy or turn a hard wood bushing to take up slack. I don't think the cork was strong enough and shifted.

Tim Reams
tjreams@web-access.net
Tim Reams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:46 AM   #2
Bawana

interesting ---is this an old glass or cane rod that has the hardwood butt section and the reel seat is the female part of the ferrel???if cane use wood if glass use a section of another glass rod to build shim on end.I would use the rod builders epoxy to glue the shim on and same to put male part of ferrel back on also.shouldnt be to hard to locate old blank section to cut piece out of you need.just make sure ferrel is all cleaned out to get good bond to it.This sounds like a rod repair gone bad.
Bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:16 PM   #3
Tim Reams

Thanks for the responding. This is an old Brooklure glass rod m/n.4438, it has a corrk forgrip and a hardwood handle. I have always bought old rods & repaired them as nessacary, but this one is a first. I hadn't thought about using more glass. I am not sure what was originally on it as it cleaned right down to the main rod easily. Other than repairing the "plug in" all i need to do is seal the wrappings with varnish.

Tim Reams
tjreams@web-access.net
Tim Reams is offline   Reply With Quote