Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-24-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Some of you boys have a hair trigger this morning....

IMO... Some of the verbiage used was to communicate the greatest information to describe what happened within the limits of a headline.

So, use of "illegal gun" is used to convey a firearm was used, and the reader can deduce that the gunman was not on any upstanding citizen's list and in fact was a scumbag law breaker.

And "SUV' was used to describe the weapon/vehicle being commandeered to cause such an awful amount of damage to innocents. If it had been an elderly driver suffering a medical emergency, it would have been written differently.

Not as much thought went into those headlines from a political point of view as you are wanting to think. The primary goal of the headline is to sell copy.
Ross, why do you bother?
Old 01-24-2022, 12:22 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Ross, why do you bother?
I have hope that by continuing to connect the dots for some folks, that they too will be able to gain some semblance of common sense, which now seems to be an acquired skill..... I have hope in the human race to do good and give their best efforts...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
I have hope that by continuing to connect the dots for some folks, that they too will be able to gain some semblance of common sense, which now seems to be an acquired skill..... I have hope in the human race to do good and give their best efforts...
but it wasn’t just the headline…

if you read the article, the governor wants to use this death to start having a conversation about guns. not about how to get scumbags in prison before they do these things, not about how we raise more citizens who are decent people…never about those things, always about guns.

look, i’m pretty liberal when it comes to guns. but i dare you to come up with a hypothetical law that would have prevented this. you can’t.

there’s a huge supply of black market guns out there. there’s no conceivable law that will prevent bad people from getting them and using them.

if you started a new country today that had zero guns, you could do it. you could pass laws that would
prevent gun crime. but sadly, that’s not the reality in the US.

liberals do anything to avoid discussing the real causes of this. because the true causes, don’t help democrats win elections.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-24-2022, 09:12 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
but it wasn’t just the headline…

if you read the article, the governor wants to use this death to start having a conversation about guns. not about how to get scumbags in prison before they do these things, not about how we raise more citizens who are decent people…never about those things, always about guns.

look, i’m pretty liberal when it comes to guns. but i dare you to come up with a hypothetical law that would have prevented this. you can’t.

there’s a huge supply of black market guns out there. there’s no conceivable law that will prevent bad people from getting them and using them.

if you started a new country today that had zero guns, you could do it. you could pass laws that would
prevent gun crime. but sadly, that’s not the reality in the US.

liberals do anything to avoid discussing the real causes of this. because the true causes, don’t help democrats win elections.
Jim, posts like this, with their direct contradictions and double talk are why some might not want to engage in a forum like this...Some just don't have a point or make sense.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:17 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, posts like this, with their direct contradictions and double talk are why some might not want to engage in a forum like this...Some just don't have a point or make sense.
what contradiction?

i tend to agree with liberals a bit on gun control.

but liberals tend to act very, very stupidly in response to these events

This may be a shock to you. but two things can be true at the same time. it’s not necessarily contradiction. i’d like to see some further gun control, and i’d like
liberals to stop acting like morons when they blame an inanimate object.

in out country today, almost everyone is blindly loyal
to one side or the other on every single ssue i think both sides have some good ideas, i think both sides act like morons in some cases. that’s not a contradiction.

maybe i explained it poorly. maybe you missed it.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:58 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:

no one is forcing anybody...

trying to get through an average wayne or pete post and make some sense of what they are rambling about is pretty tough too..but we do it because we love them...