Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 11-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #31
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I suppose but Jeanne's whole family is here and I would have to fight her to leave. Maybe in a couple of years.

I was negotiating to buy 20 acres of prime land... up in NH back in the 70's....to start a homestead.....Bride to be said no way she would ever move that far from her family. She was right
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #32
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
I was negotiating to buy 20 acres of prime land... up in NH back in the 70's....to start a homestead.....Bride to be said no way she would ever move that far from her family. She was right
...and that's the problem. She won't leave and she's probably right.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:01 PM   #33
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I am just a million dollar scratch ticket away from us doing three months a year in the Hilton Head area...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #34
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I am just a million dollar scratch ticket away from us doing three months a year in the Hilton Head area...
Ha!
My motto is “I started with nothing and have most of it left”
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:26 AM   #35
Rmarsh

Our new home sales remain very steady....last year was a great one for us... the year end bonuses we received reflect that!!
Outlook for the year going forward....very good! Breaking ground on a new subdivision with five houses pre-sold and five others being framed right now in the heart of the city (unusual for us to be building in an urban area).....Ride the bubble! I was actually hoping things would slow down a bit.....we will have a #^&#^&#^&#^& ton of finish work this summer.....my vacation days to go boat fishing will not take a back seat this year dammit.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #36
Hookedagain

Quote:
Our new home sales remain very steady....last year was a great one for us... the year end bonuses we received reflect that!!
Outlook for the year going forward....very good! Breaking ground on a new subdivision with five houses pre-sold and five others being framed right now in the heart of the city (unusual for us to be building in an urban area).....Ride the bubble! I was actually hoping things would slow down a bit.....we will have a #^&#^&#^&#^& ton of finish work this summer.....my vacation days to go boat fishing will not take a back seat this year dammit.
Are these in the heart of Fall River? Where are they going up in the city? Didn't think there was a piece of land left big enough to stuff 10 houses in.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:45 PM   #37
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
Are these in the heart of Fall River? Where are they going up in the city? Didn't think there was a piece of land left big enough to stuff 10 houses in.
Only five going up in fall river....these are going to be economical no frills ...back yard borders on a park
Old 02-02-2021, 05:25 AM   #38
Rmarsh

Hooked....maybe not exactly the heart of the city.....corner of Stafford Rd. and Chicago St...abutting Maplewood Park ... the other five pre-sold homes are going up in rural part of Dartmouth.
Most important function that keeps our home building operation going is land acquisition.......and we are really good at it.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #39
Hookedagain

I know exactly where that is, in fact I tried to buy that piece of land off the Diocese of Fall River when we were building our outdoor Ball Hockey rink. We almost had it but they were being greedy. (We built it at the YMCA in Swansea) Thats right down the street from the fire station I'm at, go by there often...Ill blow the horn next time I go by.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #40
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Happy Birthday Spud!
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #41
spence

Spud, that refrigerator still running?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #42
Hookedagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Happy Birthday Spud!
Thanks Bruce!

Jeff it died the week of Thanksgiving! Not a bad run for a few hundred bucks.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:24 AM   #43
Rmarsh

Since we started building five spec houses in the city......our sales team has been bombarded with offers....with some potential customers offering to outbid other buyers.
Now selling fast .......at prices that are hard to believe.
Push is on to get them done ASAP.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #44
Hookedagain

One of the District Chiefs on the Department with me listed his house on Wednesday for $429,000...had 22 offers by Friday. It sold for $495,900. Absolutely crazy! He had people calling the realtor saying he was a "Dream Crusher" for not accepting their offer of $30,000 over asking price.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:17 AM   #45
Rmarsh

Quote:
One of the District Chiefs on the Department with me listed his house on Wednesday for $429,000...had 22 offers by Friday. It sold for $495,900. Absolutely crazy! He had people calling the realtor saying he was a "Dream Crusher" for not accepting their offer of $30,000 over asking price.

Wow an extra $60 grand!!....unfreiking believable.
"Dream Crusher"...thats funny!....home buying has got to be very stressful right now......I've never seen such a buying frenzy....not sure whats driving it.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #46
Nebe

Quote:
Wow an extra $60 grand!!....unfreiking believable.
"Dream Crusher"...thats funny!....home buying has got to be very stressful right now......I've never seen such a buying frenzy....not sure whats driving it.
Low supply. People have been hunkered down and have not. Been traveling, moving, or wanting to change where they live during the pandemic. Pair that with low interest rates and a booming economy (thank you trump) and what you have is a recipe for a housing bubble.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #47
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

We have stared thinking about a move. The numbers realtors are calling with are insane.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #48
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Prices here in Marblehead were crazy pre-pandemic... I can count on one hand the number of free standing houses I have seen listed for under $429k in the past year.... I searched MLS for 01945 and actually saw a couple price reductions, that is how high they were priced. No way I see my kids being able to buy here anytime soon....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #49
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Prices here in Marblehead were crazy pre-pandemic... I can count on one hand the number of free standing houses I have seen listed for under $429k in the past year.... I searched MLS for 01945 and actually saw a couple price reductions, that is how high they were priced. No way I see my kids being able to buy here anytime soon....
Same down here. Little 1300sqft cape with a small lot down the road went for 350k last month.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #50
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Same down here. Little 1300sqft cape with a small lot down the road went for 350k last month.....
Bryan, same around us. Houses on our road with 3 acres, 1800 sq ft are in the high $400 to low $500K.

Won't even tell you what we are being offered with 15 1/2 acres, private pond, 4 garages and a 2500 sqft custom home but there are more zeros than I ever thought I'd see.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #51
trevier

Quote:
Bryan, same around us. Houses on our road with 3 acres, 1800 sq ft are in the high $400 to low $500K.

Won't even tell you what we are being offered with 15 1/2 acres, private pond, 4 garages and a 2500 sqft custom home but there are more zeros than I ever thought I'd see.
hard to sell with numbers like that, hard to sell when you have 15 acres also. Man that's a tough one for sure.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #52
Nebe

Quote:

Just my opinion but this is the time to cash out your chips unless you want to pass your property down to your kids. Cash out now when the market is on fire and relocate down where it’s sunny and warm and where the redfish and snook roam and enjoy the rest of your life without a worry in the world.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:13 PM   #53
Guppy
User

CC is off the wall $$$$
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #54
Rmarsh

Surprises me..... that these small five houses..... in the city... on tiny lots....would be in such high demand.....so much that there are ongoing bidding wars for them....pushing the price up to the low $400,000's.
I thought that most people want to move out of the city. Apparently there are people who have lived in this part of the city their whole life....maybe in a tenement they own and have extended family and friends in the neighborhood that they would rather stay close by. That and the limited supply of any new houses in that area. Smart guys running the company I work for..... always in the right place at the right time to capitalize on any given situation.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #55
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:

15 acres is my neighborhood.... I know you love your land, Paul, but that is an opportunity that I doubt I could pass up vs. the chance to not have a financial worry for you and Jean, ever again.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:39 PM   #56
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Ross, I agree but where do we go? We love the privacy, the freedom. Hell, I walk out my back door and shoot my pistols and shotguns and no one says a word.
We are literally 4 miles from the center of town with gas, grocery store, hardware, post officer.

I don't know. We talk about it all the time lately. It has become kind of consuming.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:41 PM   #57
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Just my opinion but this is the time to cash out your chips unless you want to pass your property down to your kids. Cash out now when the market is on fire and relocate down where it’s sunny and warm and where the redfish and snook roam and enjoy the rest of your life without a worry in the world.
I hear you Eben. As I said to Ross, it has become all consuming. It's like all Jeanne and I talk about.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #58
spence

Quote:
Guy I work with bought a great house there a few years ago. One hurricane and he moved to Charlotte.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:53 PM   #59
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
I hear you Eben. As I said to Ross, it has become all consuming. It's like all Jeanne and I talk about.

If you're in a good place financially, you're happy and your children are rooted, don't stress over it. Live your life...you'd know if you wanted/needed to sell....

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:58 AM   #60
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Literally the only non-impulsive decision you've made in the last 15 years. Buy a boat, sell a boat, buy in Warwick, sell in Warwick, buy an r/v sell an r/v....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote