Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 01-23-2023, 05:02 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

2022-23 Bruins

Yeah, they are for real. I don't expect this pace to keep up, but what a run! 37-5-4 78points in 46 games! That is nuts. Happy to say I have seen all but maybe 5 games. Currently on a five game win streak. Even the players are feeling it enough so that Charlie McAvoy was quoted saying they feel like they are going to win EVERY night!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:14 PM   #2
Hookedagain

A spectacular sight to watch. This team is firing on all cylinders right now. I agree, this most likely won't continue for the entire season but they are a joy to watch. My wife and I are heading to Boston on March 30 to watch a game....I hope it continues until then.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 07:50 PM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Here we are, six weeks later: 103 points, ten game win streak. 49-8-5 with a 105 goal differential. Just incredible!

Now if the injury bug doesn't bite them badly.... Sweeney has made good moves to improve the team.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:25 AM   #4
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Here we are, six weeks later: 103 points, ten game win streak. 49-8-5 with a 105 goal differential. Just incredible!

Now if the injury bug doesn't bite them badly.... Sweeney has made good moves to improve the team.

Another win yesterday....great game...the shorthanded goal had me jumping off the couch!
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:09 PM   #5
redlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Another win yesterday....great game...the shorthanded goal had me jumping off the couch!
Had me in tears.
I have unexplicably been a die hard rangers fan my whole life....almost threw my rangers wallet in the trash at soccer game when that happened. Cash included.
Another year of bad playoff beard comin either way....::
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:11 AM   #6
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Had me in tears.
I have unexplicably been a die hard rangers fan my whole life....almost threw my rangers wallet in the trash at soccer game when that happened. Cash included.
Another year of bad playoff beard comin either way....::

A rangers fan?....Im guessing maybe the Bruins werent the Stanley Cup champs or contenders when you became a hockey fan. For me it was the 1972 team defeating your Rangers in 6 games that made me a fan for life. My older brother went and bought our first color TV and a UHF antenna for that series and I watched every minute with him and his buddies.......they even let me celebrate the win with my first beer. Also developed a strong dislike of the Montreal Canadians....during those times....smug bastards.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:56 AM   #7
Rmarsh

Brad Park, Jean Rattel, and a couple other Rangers from that season....got traded too the Bruins a few years later.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:15 AM   #8
redlite

Don't get me wrong, I love the bruins, but when they play I root for the rangers, even in the playoffs.
I grew up watching bs with my mother when games were on and my grandparents had bs season tix. Only reason we got cable was to watch games on NeSn.
Youth hockey uniforms were same as rangers so f'd up child psychology may be true reason. When they won cup in '94 i was running around the yard hoopin and hollering with my mother yelling at me to shut up out the door with my dad scratching his head what was wrong with me as he in no way a sports guy.
This year will once again end in dissappoint for rangers fans
Old 03-06-2023, 10:10 AM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Mike, you have to break it down and just become a fan of the game. Not a team. And admire what they have done this season, so far. It is a beautiful game they play as opposed to the trap that some champions played in the past. D men freed to come down and make a play in the zone, knowing they will be covered by a teammate. Some passes that just make me wonder how they knew their guy would be right there, tape to tape. The trust they have. The goaltending! The ability to play anyway the opponent thinks they can dictate. The collective team thinking they can and will win any game, from any score down, in any period. They can pound you with all four lines. This is like Islanders, Oilers, Canadiens rolled into one from their hey days, IMO. Just sit back and enjoy it... It won't last forever!

Old 03-06-2023, 05:13 PM   #10
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Mike, you have to break it down and just become a fan of the game. Not a team. And admire what they have done this season, so far. It is a beautiful game they play as opposed to the trap that some champions played in the past. D men freed to come down and make a play in the zone, knowing they will be covered by a teammate. Some passes that just make me wonder how they knew their guy would be right there, tape to tape. The trust they have. The goaltending! The ability to play anyway the opponent thinks they can dictate. The collective team thinking they can and will win any game, from any score down, in any period. They can pound you with all four lines. This is like Islanders, Oilers, Canadiens rolled into one from their hey days, IMO. Just sit back and enjoy it... It won't last forever!

Having a great player like Bergeron as captain is also a big plus.
Two matinee games at the garden this coming weekend
Old 03-06-2023, 07:17 PM   #11
redlite

Hockey and striped bass catching are the root of my soul ( note how I did
Not say fishing in general as I don't care to fish for anything else)
Hockey is THE only sport I can enthusiastically watch any game , whether it be nhl, kids, or even pond hockey and enjoy and deep down yearn
to be part of.
Hopefully be able able to partake in both again someday. F'n Home Depot......
But damn are the b's electrifying to
Watch this year. I have watched more nhl hockey in my life time than even some broadcasters and I can't remember any team ever being just utterly dominating. Exciting for sure. Fear the Next few years gonna be like the current pats....... ho-hum.
But be worth it to bring my kids to a victory parade even though they have zero interest in hockey
Old 03-07-2023, 05:14 AM   #12
Rmarsh

Quote:
Hockey and striped bass catching are the root of my soul ( note how I did
Not say fishing in general as I don't care to fish for anything else)
Hockey is THE only sport I can enthusiastically watch any game , whether it be nhl, kids, or even pond hockey and enjoy and deep down yearn
to be part of.
Hopefully be able able to partake in both again someday. F'n Home Depot......
But damn are the b's electrifying to
Watch this year. I have watched more nhl hockey in my life time than even some broadcasters and I can't remember any team ever being just utterly dominating. Exciting for sure. Fear the Next few years gonna be like the current pats....... ho-hum.
But be worth it to bring my kids to a victory parade even though they have zero interest in hockey

Mike...Hockey is by far my favorite sport to watch. And playing hockey brings out the beast in me......I played defense... high energy and exhilarating ... breaking up plays over and over.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:06 AM   #13
Rmarsh

Love the fact they allow fighting in hockey.......get too cocky and then have to pay the price......settled like men....with bare fists.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:06 AM   #14
Rmarsh

....a bruins rangers classic.... great stop by cheevers on espisito.... then a couple of fans wanted to get involved and this happens ...https://youtu.be/VMcbdBYuGTE?t=3
Old 03-11-2023, 12:55 PM   #15
Rmarsh

The green jerseys....suck
ESPN commentary....sucks even more
Old 03-11-2023, 03:11 PM   #16
Hookedagain

I dont mind the jerseys so much but the announcing is horrible. Although I just read that Jack Edwards was voted the most hated announcer in the NHL.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:48 AM   #17
Rmarsh

Yeah..I get why......sometimes its better to watch with the sound turned off.
Great comeback win after being completely outplayed in the first period.
Hoping to see a better start today by the Bruins on both offense and defense.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:25 AM   #18
beamie

They tend to wear the different jerseys on saturdays. That b one is from like the 40’s or something like that but I prefer the spoked B as Howard cossel I mean Jack edwards says. Don’t care too much for Jack. Tries too hard to sound like something he is not. Now Brick I think is an outstanding color analyst outstanding did I say that twice.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:32 AM   #19
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
They tend to wear the different jerseys on saturdays. That b one is from like the 40’s or something like that but I prefer the spoked B as Howard cossel I mean Jack edwards says. Don’t care too much for Jack. Tries too hard to sound like something he is not. Now Brick I think is an outstanding color analyst outstanding did I say that twice.

My mistake....They only wore the green jerseys for pregame warmups I was thinking it would be for the whole game.......and I also prefer the spoked B.

Yeah ...Jack...for one thing....is too wimpy to be calling play by play for a game as violent as hockey.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:15 AM   #20
beamie

Oh. Didn’t realize they had green on the warm up. Didn’t see it. Don’t want to see it. Probably for st pats day. Just another shirt to sell in the pro shop for $100 or more.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:38 AM   #21
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

That first period yesterday was the worst I have seen them play probably all year. Passes weren't even close, and they got no bounces their way... Impressive they won.

Crazy how much the approach to goaltending has changed. Most goals I see now are 5-hole as he moves/drops, and upper shelf both blocker and glove side. They all play a down style game and they have to be 6'5" or taller to cover the top of the net!

Old 03-12-2023, 01:53 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Oh. Didn’t realize they had green on the warm up. Didn’t see it. Don’t want to see it. Probably for st pats day. Just another shirt to sell in the pro shop for $100 or more.
I became a Red Wings fan traveling to Detroit a lot in the 90’s during the Stevie Y. era of near total domination. Every year during a big trade show we did at Cobo our marketing director would take me to the pro shop to get a jersey. Back then I think the real Nike ones were 250 or 260 bucks.

Can’t believe the Bruins Wings game right now is blacked out.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:57 AM   #23
beamie

I think the goaltending style is simple. Make a profile that covers the most sqft of the net. Nothing has changed….. except for the physical fitness and flexibility of goalies and all players. Gotta have some good knees to butterfly those pads on the ice. Must be nice to be in your 20’s early 30’s

Old 03-12-2023, 01:41 PM   #24
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I did not expect to have such clutch, dominant goaltending so soon again after Tuukka retired.

Old 03-12-2023, 02:59 PM   #25
Rmarsh

It's on NESN
Old 03-14-2023, 06:50 AM   #26
Rmarsh

My two boys and I were in town to catch a Bruins game not too long ago......street sign was a photo op.
Proud to say I raised them right.......never had any problems with either one of them.....upstanding, hardworking and respectable.....to be truthful my wife had a lot to do with that.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:54 AM..
Old 03-18-2023, 06:45 PM   #27
Rmarsh

Great game. Todays win was reassuring.....stopped Minnesota's 14 game wining streak playing on the road. Two goals called back on the wild.. close calls.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:03 PM   #28
redlite

Was a great game.(though I only got to listen to most of it as at work). And rangers openin can of whoop ass on the pens tonite
Hockey east championship was a hell of a game too
Good hockey day
Real march madness
Old 03-19-2023, 10:17 AM   #29
Rmarsh

Quote:
Was a great game.(though I only got to listen to most of it as at work). And rangers openin can of whoop ass on the pens tonite
Hockey east championship was a hell of a game too
Good hockey day
Real march madness

Ive been paying more attention to the Rangers lately ... they played a great game against Pittsburg.

The more i see of Trouba the more I would like to see a Bruins player with similar attributes.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:21 AM   #30
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I enjoyed the replay last night. They are clicking for sure.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote