Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-29-2023, 12:27 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Carpal Tunnel anyone?

I think that is the next tune up I am headed towards. Dominant left hand and forearm gets numbness, pins and needles to the point I wake up from the pain, I guess is the right word. Any advice or experience you could share? Given I work with my hands it was just a matter of time I guess...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 01:09 PM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

No advice, but working with a chain saw, angle grinder or sander for hours does impact my weaker wrist.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:51 PM   #3
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I have it on and off. Sometimes real bad. Other times....GONE. Don't get it and no advice other than I wear a cheap $3.00 wrist wrap. It completely stops the pain for a short time.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 03:29 PM   #4
Guppy
User

Yes…. I jammed my left thumb couple years ago and it blew up like a lead balloon…. Wicked painful, don’t remember the meds the emergency doc gave me but it came down in no time,,,

Now every now and then it acts up to the point it’s useless,,,, ICE, ADVIL, repeat repeat

You must be getting old Ross…. ;-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 01:54 AM   #5
redlite

Ross reach out to jay Westportmafia as he just had both hands done and can prob provide some good first hand knowledge
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:01 AM   #6
Rmarsh

I dont know much about Carpal tunnel surgery Ross.
I am at the point where any use of my hands is very painful.....dressing, bathing, eating.....advanced arthritis I'm told. Thumb to wrist connection on both hands is junk and every other finger feels fractured or numb. Many sleep interrupted nights with pain and anxiety over loosing the use of them. Made my living with my hands for the past fifty years... the daily use and abuse of working construction has taken its toll. I want to keep working for financial and psychological reasons... but my work is not as good as it once was because I cant grasp anything firmly.

I hope your situation improves, and good luck if you decide to go with surgery.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:04 AM   #7
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I have the same numbness but I’m right handed and that right hand goes numb. I assume over use arthritis etc.
I wake up from it, then in AM I have very little grip strength. It sucks. Getting old is easy, staying old is the hard part.
I have the same as RMarsh, both hands connection of thumb to hand. Yesterday I was rototilling and it was happening as I was running it so I just roughed it out right through it to get it done. I can’t afford to pay someone to do all the things I do.
Good luck Ross, years ago Melissa had the surgery for Carpel tunnel and did fine with it. Wearing a brace was just temporary she sits at a computer all day. She is fine now. A Neurologist can determine if you have it. I should go myself to see.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:20 AM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I must have been whining about it and Dani just looked at me like I was an idiot and said I had carpal tunnel... Never considered it. Thought it was a keyboard injury... Symptoms were spot on, right down to it not affecting the pinky. Makes sense for us in the trades and working with our hands to consider.... Google it boys. I will try a lot of PT or holistic before giving in to another surgery. Although I have heard of good results.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:38 PM   #9
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Start with a carpel tunnel wrist brace Ross, you should too Bob. I think I will get one and at least wear it to bed.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:38 AM   #10
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Start with a carpel tunnel wrist brace Ross, you should too Bob. I think I will get one and at least wear it to bed.

I got one for each hand and wear the braces occasionally......temporary relief at best for me. Adapting to not using my thumbs.... substituting the knuckle of my forefinger for a lot of things that my thumbs used to do. Pushing the button on the compound saw to change the angle is the challenge. Surgery to remove a small bone between the thumb and wrist has been suggested as an option.......but with completely uncertain results......no thanks.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:08 AM   #11
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
Dealt with CP since I was young - braces help, but also finding compression gloves help a bit as well.

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:34 PM   #12
spence

I had carpal tunnel really bad working on a computer everyday in my later 30’s. At night my hands would fall asleep depending on how I was sleeping. Then one year it just went away. Now at 52 everything hurts.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:21 AM   #13
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I must have been whining about it and Dani just looked at me like I was an idiot and said I had carpal tunnel... Never considered it. Thought it was a keyboard injury... Symptoms were spot on, right down to it not affecting the pinky. Makes sense for us in the trades and working with our hands to consider.... Google it boys. I will try a lot of PT or holistic before giving in to another surgery. Although I have heard of good results.
Ross, I went through it real bad 2 years ago, to the point where I could not sleep,I could not hold a phone, type or do anything constructive with my hand it would wake me up, wanting to avoid surgery ( I know people on their 3rd one).I got many opinions, and did lots of research, google my carpel tunnel .com... there is a "system" that uses a band aid like stretching strap you wear at night( you use a new strap each night), it is a 6 week therapy, and insurance will pay for it, I was in constant pain, by the third week, I was pain free, by the end of the six week, no numbness at all.. it has not reoccurred in 2 years...the bands gently stretch the facia between your thumb and across your hand relieving the constriction on the tunnel.. be fore warned, more is not better, read the directions and do not wear them too tight.. I did the first night and at first it felt good, at 2 Am i woke up feeling a swarm of bees had infested my hand, when they say gently stretch.. that is EXACTLY what it means.. IMHO, it's an alternative worth looking into.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:07 PM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Thank you, Joe. I will look into that today!

Old 06-01-2023, 02:36 PM   #15
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I had carpal tunnel really bad working on a computer everyday in my later 30’s. At night my hands would fall asleep depending on how I was sleeping. Then one year it just went away. Now at 52 everything hurts.
52 and everything hurts, oh boy wait until you turn 70, but I have to say I feel better at 70 than I did at 60. Dropped 30 lbs and stretching like crazy every day has done wonders.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:55 AM   #16
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
Ross, I went through it real bad 2 years ago, to the point where I could not sleep,I could not hold a phone, type or do anything constructive with my hand it would wake me up, wanting to avoid surgery ( I know people on their 3rd one).I got many opinions, and did lots of research, google my carpel tunnel .com... there is a "system" that uses a band aid like stretching strap you wear at night( you use a new strap each night), it is a 6 week therapy, and insurance will pay for it, I was in constant pain, by the third week, I was pain free, by the end of the six week, no numbness at all.. it has not reoccurred in 2 years...the bands gently stretch the facia between your thumb and across your hand relieving the constriction on the tunnel.. be fore warned, more is not better, read the directions and do not wear them too tight.. I did the first night and at first it felt good, at 2 Am i woke up feeling a swarm of bees had infested my hand, when they say gently stretch.. that is EXACTLY what it means.. IMHO, it's an alternative worth looking into.
Gonna give this a shot

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 08:27 PM   #17
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post

I got tested with the nerve conduction test and have it in both hands

I found this website and it appears to be the system you mention Joe.
https://relief.mycarpaltunnel.com/

I will look into this further tomorrow

thanks

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:23 AM   #18
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I got tested with the nerve conduction test and have it in both hands

I found this website and it appears to be the system you mention Joe.
https://relief.mycarpaltunnel.com/

I will look into this further tomorrow

thanks
I'm Still pain free and good, Nancy is using the system now...she only needed 3 days to have the numbness gone. Now if fixing my ailing shoulder was only that easy.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote