Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 01-28-2023, 06:21 PM   #1
Rmarsh

A lot of people are doing different color island ....this one is stained cherry if i remember right. When you have an over abundance of cabinets all in the same color can be too much.....the contrast can be nice.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:54 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:27 AM   #2
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Really like the island legs.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:00 AM   #3
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Really like the island legs.

Thanks.....it was hard for me to figure out which way to install them.... which end was up?....i tried them each way....still wasnt sure.
I doweled the legs into the flooring...
I got another delivery of cabinets coming this morning....if I had to guess...I'd say white again.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 01-30-2023 at 06:14 AM..
Old 02-04-2023, 07:12 AM   #4
Rmarsh

White again.....the Island is Expresso, I dont assemble them until the hardwood flooring goes in. The box of crown moulding for the soffit says "Product of Vietnam" and the quality and specie of wood is funky and the profile from one piece to the other is inconsistent. The quality of stuff keeps slipping.....making our jobs tougher.
This customer provided the apron sink that has to be cut into the sink base cabinet....high end....came with a bunch of accessories.

Old 02-05-2023, 06:55 AM   #5
Rmarsh

built-in casework...ill bring to the job and finish in place with face frames...soffit ...crown... and doors for base unit. the back of the upper cabinet mdf beadboard.....
working alone in my shop is more enjoyable than job site chaos.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:00 PM   #6
Rmarsh

they're just set in place for now....kitchen coming first....helped carry in 52 boxes of hardwood flooring
.and this is what happens when someone uses my bench when im not around....a freikin sawcut.....i put some PL in it and then ill the sand excess after it expands. Nobody owned up to it.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:23 PM   #7
redlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
they're just set in place for now....kitchen coming first....helped carry in 52 boxes of hardwood flooring
.and this is what happens when someone uses my bench when im not around....a freikin sawcut.....i put some PL in it and then ill the sand excess after it expands. Nobody owned up to it.
That sucks
Once u find out who did it everyone be able to know cause they be walking around only able to count to 9
Leg for an eye.....,,
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:24 AM   #8
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
That sucks
Once u find out who did it everyone be able to know cause they be walking around only able to count to 9
Leg for an eye.....,,

It does suck...... got to be one of the rookies..... we have two!
No investigation.....but they know who they are....and I made it known when everyone was present that I wasnt too happy about it......hope they realize how stupid that was. Case closed.
Ive told you before... but the bench....my own design....evolved over time and perfect for the job i do......is like a magnet.
Just the other morning I had to ask a tremendously obese plumber to remove his ass from it so i could do my work!

The bench is very stable.... enough for me to stand on holding a large wall cabinet solo... and screw it in...perfect height for all the soffit and crown work too....the hand hold makes it simple to move and carry with one hand perfectly balanced.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 02-08-2023 at 06:30 AM..
Old 02-08-2023, 07:08 AM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
It does suck...... got to be one of the rookies..... we have two!
No investigation.....but they know who they are....and I made it known when everyone was present that I wasnt too happy about it......hope they realize how stupid that was. Case closed.
Ive told you before... but the bench....my own design....evolved over time and perfect for the job i do......is like a magnet.
Just the other morning I had to ask a tremendously obese plumber to remove his ass from it so i could do my work!

The bench is very stable.... enough for me to stand on holding a large wall cabinet solo... and screw it in...perfect height for all the soffit and crown work too....the hand hold makes it simple to move and carry with one hand perfectly balanced.
I obviously could benefit from seeing this design....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:41 AM   #10
Rmarsh

Mike check this out.....front door unit has a 6 9/16 jamb width and walls are 2x6 with half inch exterior sheathing and half inch drywall. So how does this happen? I know why but none of it is under my control.....and im getting too old to care. More concerned about how uneven the kitchen walls are where my cabinets go.
Plus the door wouldnt close without force....i knew what that was......i removed all the expansion foam from between the hinge side of the jamb and the jack stud....unscrewed the middle hinge from the jamb ...and put a well placed 3" screw to drive the jamb over....the hinge covers it so its not visible....closes easily now.

Old 02-08-2023, 01:22 PM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Damn Bob! no respect sad

I suppose they would have wrecked a blade as well if the cut was 1/4" over as it just missed that line of screws.

people suck
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:04 AM   #12
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Damn Bob! no respect sad

I suppose they would have wrecked a blade as well if the cut was 1/4" over as it just missed that line of screws.

people suck

Not surprised that you noticed Bruce....about the screws...I was thinking the same. Not the first time it ever happened...but it was for this bench. Over the years I can recall dozens of times....guys cutting into brand new sawhorses and i mean the top cut in half.....almost always someone pretty green....not necessarily disrespectful......mostly clueless.
I have a sawhorse design I have come up with that combines stability, strength and is not heavy.......but someone always cuts into them eventually.

I will just build another when this one craps the bed...its not very complex.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:58 AM..
Old 02-09-2023, 06:44 PM   #13
Rmarsh

....i like cutting copes on the lower height of this bench and clamping it can make it easier. I was taught to draw the edge of the pencil lead over the edge of the cut to see it better.....with unprimed wood it can be hard to follow. still got to make doors and install shelving on the built-in. Then the painter will make it all look nice.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:37 AM   #14
Guppy
User

Quote:
....i like cutting copes on the lower height of this bench and clamping it can make it easier. I was taught to draw the edge of the pencil lead over the edge of the cut to see it better.....with unprimed wood it can be hard to follow. still got to make doors and install shelving on the built-in. Then the painter will make it all look nice.
Same here but now with glasses….
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:59 AM   #15
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Same here but now with glasses….

Just had my first eye exam in years. I failed miserably!
Been using cheap reader glasses till now....doc says time to get some real ones. My work cant possibly be as good as it once was with this aging eyesight....that along with hands so painfull with arthritis I cant hold tools and work pieces firmly. Still good enough to get by.

But in my mind i'm..."half the man I use to be"
Old 02-12-2023, 08:46 AM   #16
Rmarsh

Things you can do with just a table saw. I posted this elsewhere but thought it might be of interest here also.
I made an eight foot piece of cherry crown moulding for a custom bookcase I was building with a few, very simple table saw cuts. I kept a piece of the blank before the final shaping, done with a curved cabinet scraper that I ground to the profile i wanted, for a future guide for sawcut settings.
Only a few hours work......and no other viable option.....dont have a shaper in the shop and not something a router is capable of. Table saws can do a lot of things not commonly known about.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:37 AM   #17
Rmarsh

This one is Fusion Nickel.....blueish grey.
Im just glad its not white again.
Ill do the soffit and crown today and the hardware tommorow.
We have about five or six houses left to finish in this subdivision....with over 50 already done.
I need a change of scenery...would be nice to get back to my stomping grounds in Westport.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:05 AM   #18
Rmarsh

The soffit and crown take as long as hanging the cabinets.
First there is setting the cleats on top of the cabinets and against the ceiling. Then I cut soffit and crown to rough length and label them.
After that its dozens of trips jumping back and forth from the saw to my bench....making trial cuts until things fit. I never use stepladders for this job......they are clunky...awkward.. and can damage cabinets.
Still cant figure how to post full size pictures...so tried pasting a url this time

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2P...-no?authuser=1
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Ar...-no?authuser=1

Last edited by Rmarsh; 02-17-2023 at 06:19 AM..
Old 02-18-2023, 05:50 AM   #19
Rmarsh

Nice contrast with the black pulls.... hardwood going down just as I finished ....and the stairs with stained treads and accents looks nice I think..
I really dont like blind corner cabinets.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:56 AM   #20
Rmarsh

simple pair of doors for the built in...all cuts made with my table saw

Old 04-27-2023, 02:38 PM   #21
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Things you can do with just a table saw. I posted this elsewhere but thought it might be of interest here also.
I made an eight foot piece of cherry crown moulding for a custom bookcase I was building with a few, very simple table saw cuts. I kept a piece of the blank before the final shaping, done with a curved cabinet scraper that I ground to the profile i wanted, for a future guide for sawcut settings.
Only a few hours work......and no other viable option.....dont have a shaper in the shop and not something a router is capable of. Table saws can do a lot of things not commonly known about.
Beautiful work but I am curious as to why you didn't just by the crown from a milling house.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:25 AM   #22
Rmarsh

crown moulding done...there's also a light rail to attach to the bottom of the wall cabinets. Next house is just about ready for finish.

Old 03-22-2023, 11:20 AM   #23
Rmarsh

Not a great look with that tile and granite imo
The blind corner with the 9" cabinet...even smaller opening..... not good

Old 03-23-2023, 03:45 PM   #24
Rmarsh

gold accents

Old 03-23-2023, 06:04 PM   #25
spence

The gold tone hardware is bad enough but the gold pot faucet is terrible.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:22 AM   #26
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Comments are always welcome.....especially coming from a stylista like yourself. When our customers are shelling out 650 grand... they get to pick stuff.......and we tell them it looks great!
Old 04-27-2023, 02:37 PM   #27
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Jeff, I agree. I am replacing our Moen kitchen faucet and it will NOT be gold.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:05 PM   #28
redlite

Look back in this thread. I said gold would come back in style. Trend setters.
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:25 AM   #29
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Look back in this thread. I said gold would come back in style. Trend setters.

Yeah Mike I remember.......im still waiting for dark stained knotty pine t&g wainscoting like i did in my house in '77 to come back around
Old 04-21-2023, 04:18 AM   #30
Rmarsh

The white cabinet trend.... still going strong. Not liking the micro cabinet location...and not a lot of cabinets for a house costing this much.
View from the kitchen window is the neighbors house and back deck in full view....like forty feet away! No privacy! Give me a run down cabin in the woods.....where I can piss in the front or back yard and not worry about neighbors.