Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #61
Saltheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Come up to Freeport, we can cast the rods out back at the farm
Every time I go to Freeport it cost me about 500 bucks! If I stop at Kittery on the way up that costs me another 300 buck !

I love those 1/2 day introductory outdoor lessons thay give at LLBeane. Dirt cheap group lesson with top notch instructors. I did the trap shooting and the fly casting last time. Was supposed to be a group lesson of 7 people. The shooting session I was in had just 2 people and we used these $1000 LLBeane shotguns. The fly casting had just one student , me. Since I have had a fly rod since I was twelve and since I was the only guy in the class , I got the advanced private lesson for the morning. Both classes were great experiences. I highly recommend them.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #62
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Some pics from today

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #63
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Every time I go to Freeport it cost me about 500 bucks! If I stop at Kittery on the way up that costs me another 300 buck !

I love those 1/2 day introductory outdoor lessons thay give at LLBeane. Dirt cheap group lesson with top notch instructors. I did the trap shooting and the fly casting last time. Was supposed to be a group lesson of 7 people. The shooting session I was in had just 2 people and we used these $1000 LLBeane shotguns. The fly casting had just one student , me. Since I have had a fly rod since I was twelve and since I was the only guy in the class , I got the advanced private lesson for the morning. Both classes were great experiences. I highly recommend them.
I'm at kittery now. Cableas is up here too. Your total for Freeport is low, even with the employee discount my wife gets, staying overnight and stuff, has been painful
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #64
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Here's the last pic I took of saltheart heating the epoxy to remove bubbles.

The epoxy process is very similiar to the plug building way, just a different product.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #65
Saltheart

Man, seeing the wrinkles on the backs of my hands has ruined my year!

The whole class went well IMO. Everyone did a great job bulding 5their rods and the final product on the Century Stealth makes an awesome fishing machine.

Someone asked about the cost of the parts. The total for parts (not including shrink wrap which people paid for seperately) was $59.73 plus shipping and assorted transportation charges of about $10 per rod. I charged only $40 (very poor Estimate on my part as it turns out). So You guys paid $40 for the parts and including shipping etc , I kicked in another $30 per rod extra myself for parts. Multiply by the 7 guys I was over budget by $200+ for the parts for the class and I ate the overruns in cost myself. This does not even include epoxy , tape , the D thread , etc. Not complaining , just making sure people know they got more than their money's worth in that respect. We used Fuji parts and in general the more expensive Fuji parts (Deluxe Seats, KW Guides, Alconite guide rings, Fuji Alconite tips) so that all added up faster than I expected. Next class I'll have to charge more for parts.

One comment about the specific picture showing me flaming the thread finish. What a snapshot doesn't show is that the whole prtocess of flaming the ferrel wrap takes a total of about 4 seconds! Not a lot of heat at all.

Anyway , congrats to the first graduates of the Saltheart School Academy of Rodbuilding.

Last edited by Saltheart; 02-26-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Saltheart
Old 02-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #66
lamigsb1

I learned quite a bit durring the class. what i did not expect was; how mentally relaxing rodbuilding is once you sit down and actually get to wrapping. Thanks for Teaching me this great hobby.

Jon.
lamigsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #67
Rob Rockcrawler

I had a good time at the class. I learned a lot, now i just need to perfect what i learned.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #68
striperman36
Old Guy

I need to fix my powerwrapper, I have 2 flyrods to do now. I missed the bubble burster trick. But I did get to see some real snow this weekend.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #69
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Mike how long after the epoxy is cured do I wait before I can take the rod for a real casting session?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #70
Saltheart

Depends on how warm the room is where it cured.

Some say overnight and go. In the interest of long term crack formation delay , i would wait 3 days.

Saltheart
Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #71
Saltheart

The two rods left for me to coat are done. Please PM me to arrange a pickup time. This sat 10 AM would be good for me.

Saltheart
Old 03-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #72
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

i went and really test casted the rod on thursday, i was using the new zee and brand new 30lb fireline.

I counted the cranks of the handle and did the math so i know the measurements are accurate.

once the line breaks in a little bit and i get use to the slower action of the rod i should be able to squeeze some distance out of it.

But was able to throw a 1.5 gibbs pencil 105 yards, loaded redfin 88 yards, ss 1.75oz needle 94 yards and a bunch of other stuff i didnt measure just fine.

Sweet spot is in my findings 1.5 to 2.5oz, but it did throw a 3.25oz bm needle with no issues.

Cant wait to put some serios time in with it and get use to the slower action that the rods I used last season.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
Old 03-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #73
Saltheart

Casting any shape 1.5 OZ lure 100 yards is really good. As you get used to the action you can also gradually increase the length of your casting tail. This will also boost distance some.

Saltheart
Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #74
Saltheart

Before I unstick this I want to be sure everyone has finished their rod successfully. If you have not and there is anything I can do to help , PM me by the end of March. I want everyone to have ended up with a nice rod .

Saltheart